Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : drake arbiter

Post by thespaceinvader »

And that's an excellent example of pointless thread resurrection. nice work ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Frogger5

Re: LordBob's random stuff : drake arbiter

Post by Frogger5 »

:lol2: FFM
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : human swordsman

Post by LordBob »

New random art : one of the rejected designs for HttT's Aethyr involved armour and attitude that were very much like the existing loyalist swordsman.
So I threw in a few minor changes and here goes.
Attachments
human-swordsman-2.png
human-swordsman-2.png (150.62 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Another alt =)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

LordBob wrote:New random art : one of the rejected designs for HttT's Aethyr involved armour and attitude that were very much like the existing loyalist swordsman.
If you don't mind I'd like to base a unit off that for my era... It is the exact design I've been looking for.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

LordBob wrote:New random art : one of the rejected designs for HttT's Aethyr involved armour and attitude that were very much like the existing loyalist swordsman.
That's really good, only to me it looks like an arab warrior, is this intended?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

LightFighter wrote:
That's really good, only to me it looks like an arab warrior, is this intended?
His face is covered and there's a point on his helmet, but there's no resemblance otherwise.
Joram

Post by Joram »

*pokes head in where it has no business being*

The sword, to me, looks a little bit too parallel with his shoulders, with the right arm (his right) straight out to the side. It would look a little more natural to me if the arm were rotated slightly forward and the sword gave a stronger impression of receding back slightly. I like the picture a lot, but that stuck out to me.

NOTE: This user has no knowledge of either art or weapons, and his criticisms should not be taken as more than the surface reactions of one of the ignorant populace.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Dipseydoodle : as long as it's limited to UMC, you're free to use this portrait. For mainline content however, we will not want completely different units to share a single portrait.

Lightfighter : the inspiration behind tRoW loyalists is byzantine, which explains the vaguely arabian looks. But I think it's still close enough to the existing loys to serve as an alternate.

Joram : you've got a keen eye, his right arm could improve. However I think the mistake isn't blatant and it's a heavy fix so, unless this concern turns out to be widely shared, I'd rather keep it unchanged. :?

Edit : yes, definitely not HttT. My mistake, sorry.
Last edited by LordBob on September 4th, 2010, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

LordBob wrote:Dipseydoodle : as long as it's limited to UMC, you're free to use this portrait. For mainline content however, we will not want completely different units to share a single portrait.

Lightfighter : the inspiration behind HttT loyalists is byzantine, which explains the vaguely arabian looks. But I think it's still close enough to the existing loys to serve as an alternate.

Joram : you've got a keen eye, his right arm could improve. However I think the mistake isn't blatant and it's a heavy fix so, unless this concern turns out to be widely shared, I'd rather keep it unchanged. :?
You mean TRoW right?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Yay, LordBob's back with more cool stuff! :D I really want to create a sprite with a chainmail mask like that (not for mainline, naturally :wink: )...
LordBob wrote:Joram : you've got a keen eye, his right arm could improve. However I think the mistake isn't blatant and it's a heavy fix so, unless this concern turns out to be widely shared, I'd rather keep it unchanged.
For what it's worth, I didn't notice anything wrong with the right arm until Joram pointed it out. Since it's far from a glaring issue, and given LordBob's statement that it would be a lot of work to change it, I'd say it's fine as is. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : human general

Post by LordBob »

The attached sketch isn't as random as the thread title says : it will see some use in a near future, so consider its posting an early preview :wink:
Attachments
human-general_1.png
human-general_1.png (92.25 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

O blah, I'm not sure I got round to committing that alt. Will do it tomorrow, along with the other stuff that has slipped my attention in the recent motivation-slump.

EDIT: this is now committed.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Sorry, what is that thing on his head meant to be, a cowl or the general's hair?
Other than that, does anyone else think the far hand looks small compared to how large his arm looks?
(Well, maybe not small it may just look a little mis-placed, a bit left of where I think it should be.)
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

JackBarber wrote:Sorry, what is that thing on his head meant to be, a cowl or the general's hair?
Probably a cowl, though it may emerge as a chainmail coif.
JackBarber wrote:Other than that, does anyone else think the far hand looks small compared to how large his arm looks?
(Well, maybe not small it may just look a little mis-placed, a bit left of where I think it should be.)
Definitely too small.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!