Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Post by Kwandulin »

M, K, J and R look really odd. I like them!
The_Quixotic_King

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

I think there is something strangely sci-fi about K N and R. Which is really cool! makes them feel very mysterious.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

My 2 cents is that the "shamanistic" versions with all the little random bits hung from them could be good for something coming out of the dunes in UtBS world, but I don't know if that's best for the dunefolk. N & R are sci-fi and cool, but that may also be better for UtBS world, not be the dunefolk. Q makes the most sense to me, especially if the details of the mask can be on a separate layer or image, so that there can be easy variations
like the tragedy-comedy masks:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Brilliant. All the masks look great. I would cast votes for R and Q because of the theme behind the scenes. Though I feel like the portrait really can take it in alot of directions, at your discretion!

I do have to acknowledge the impressiveness of K, L, N which could be directly out of a sci-fi movie concept art. In regards to A-I i think they are really good as well but perhaps more mechanical, less embodied looking. Hard to describe, maybe just not as detailed? The point being that they are equally competing for the spots but have been less mentioned because of that. I do think D particularly is worth noting.

Overall my personal favorite is also M just so great looking. Like... damn...!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks everyone for the all the feedback, I will be working on that Djin next.

In the meantime, I went and finished the fire wraith portraits. If someone wants to create an updated sprite based on them, be my guest.
I ended with 3 versions :
- nice guy fire wraith
- bad hair day fire wraith. He is pissed and put on his spiky costume to show it to the world.
- hangover fire wraith. To top it off he ate something weird and that changed his flames for the worse. If anyone wants to portrait an evil spirit or something.
Attachments
monsters-fire_wraith2.jpg
Last edited by LordBob on April 21st, 2021, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
krekling

Post by krekling »

LordBob wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:05 pm Unrelated, I've been sketching heads for the Jinn. While its body will be mostly tattered robes and sand, I want to make its face some sort of mask the like of which might haunt old folk tales of the desert dwellers. I'm trying different directions, not sure which one to pick though. One thing's for sure, I don't want it to be just another Aladdin genie.
Wow, those look great! I find D, G, and N especially interesting.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

What's the current plan for this guy?
It would be nice to get the sprites/animations done well before release candidates, and if that thrown weapon isn't "pierce"-type damage, there probably needs to be some time for balance checks. Right now, we're still using the bow.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Wait, Ophidian and Sicarius (blade/pierce) already have portrait, Ringcaster and Zephyr (blad/blade) dont have one. Im not going to change Ophidian and Sicarius to be blade / balde when the other line is also blade / balde (we already had complaints that both lines were too similar until recently), especially if it could fit Ringcaster and Zephyr line.

This portrait looks neat btw.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hejnewar wrote: April 24th, 2021, 6:54 pm Wait, Ophidian and Sicarius (blade/pierce) already have portrait,
That's a placeholder, though we may be stuck with it, depending on how the timing works out. I agree, blade-type ranged (such as a throwing knife) for ophidian would be pretty lame.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

doofus-01 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 12:19 pm What's the current plan for this guy?
As far as portraits go, my current plan is the following :
- Jinn
- Wose Shaman
- The other nagas

I can do the nagas first though, if it helps get the sprites in time. The guy Doofus linked is indeed a replacement for the Ophidian/Sicarius. He will have a pierced range weapon, most likely thrown darts unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

LordBob wrote: April 26th, 2021, 7:46 pm I can do the nagas first though, if it helps get the sprites in time. The guy Doofus linked is indeed a replacement for the Ophidian/Sicarius. He will have a pierced range weapon, most likely thrown darts unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Thats good to hear. I was worried because in that portrait Ophidian seems to be holding sword + thrown dagger. Thrown darts give me "game" vibe not really "kill" vibe, maybe that is just me. Well with any small weapon statistics will probably need to be changed anyway.
name

Post by name »

LordBob wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:43 pm - hangover fire wraith. To top it off he ate something weird and that changed his flames for the worse.
One of the forms of authentic mythological jinn is described as a "smokeless flame" and likened to lightning. The palette and 'tone' of your portrait feels like it lands really close to this. If the silhouette was less like fire and more like a plasma type electrical phenomenon and if the demeanor was less menacing and more mysterious, it would be dead on for a jinni.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

name wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:56 pm One of the forms of authentic mythological jinn is described as a "smokeless flame" and likened to lightning. The palette and 'tone' of your portrait feels like it lands really close to this. If the silhouette was less like fire and more like a plasma type electrical phenomenon and if the demeanor was less menacing and more mysterious, it would be dead on for a jinni.
Ah, it's a shame I'm reading this only now. The Jinn portrait is done and it didn't quite take that route. I modelled it after the sprite instead, robes and a body made of sand. It does give off an undead vibe, though - probably the long thin hands and tatted robes. Maybe it can be revisited later, but for now I'm willing to call it a good enough placeholder.
Attachments
monster-jinn.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Since this is a mythological creature, I don't know why an interpretation from a long time ago should automatically take precedence. Even so, Jinni were also connected to storms, sand, and anthropomorphic shapes, so this should be fine.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:26 am Since this is a mythological creature, I don't know why an interpretation from a long time ago should automatically take precedence. Even so, Jinni were also connected to storms, sand, and anthropomorphic shapes, so this should be fine.
Yeah, we're allowed to put our own spin on things here. This portrait looks great, the sprite and unit config can be fleshed out now. The only thing I could nitpick is that the bottom part, mostly on our left, seems a bit blocky, not loose flowing sand. Maybe it isn't important, since it will get cropped, unless we should be treating this like a monster more than a militant? :hmm:
LordBob wrote: April 26th, 2021, 7:46 pm I can do the nagas first though, if it helps get the sprites in time. The guy Doofus linked is indeed a replacement for the Ophidian/Sicarius. He will have a pierced range weapon, most likely thrown darts unless anyone has a better suggestion.
You don't necessarily need to get the nagas done, but we do need the Ophidian design finalized soon if we're going to stay on schedule. Dart could work, but this is fantasy, so maybe something slightly impractical-looking could work if it's interesting enough. There are a lot of thrown weapons with an interesting design ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mambele_(knives) ), one that is more like a pick than an axe could be pierce-type.