Cave terrain

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
boru

Re: Cave terrain

Post by boru »

Alarantalara wrote:I have some pictures of Lechuguilla from the March 1991 National Geographic and the water is very clear.
Found this online ... it's so clear it looks like there's nothing there.

http://photography.nationalgeographic.c ... image.html
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I discovered that I could have two more tiles using the bridge macro, so I'm posting the flats for them in case anyone wants to design their own rail texture based on them and the ones I posted earlier.

Edit: removed progress shot since complete one available below
Attachments
rails-s.png
rails-s.png (570 Bytes) Viewed 4671 times
rails-n.png
rails-n.png (623 Bytes) Viewed 4671 times
Last edited by Alarantalara on May 11th, 2010, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

As I said, here are all the tiles that I can do within the limits of the bridge macro. If any of them have problems, please mention them.
Attachments
textured.png
Mine_Rails.zip
(59.77 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Wow. Much better and very realistic. :shock:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

One minor issue strikes me: with all of these junctions, where is the switching architecture?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looking good; I'll try to get these committed in the next 12 hours or so. My current plan is to make their aliasing as follows: movement is best of base,flat and defense is just that of the base.

However, wouldn't these benefit from a little bit of shadow underneath them? Currently they look like they're floating a bit, and adding shadows and/or speckles of dirt would likely help with that.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

thespaceinvader wrote:One minor issue strikes me: with all of these junctions, where is the switching architecture?
I wanted to add them, but couldn't figure out how to make them look nice when they got combined with each other. The most extreme example is attached, but I'm more concerned with combinations of only two at a time, which are reasonable. I can't put the architecture anywhere covered in this image and to avoid excessively dark shadows I need a different spot for all four tiles. For now, I've given up.
Attachments
switchy.png
switchy.png (71.4 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

zookeeper wrote:Looking good; I'll try to get these committed in the next 12 hours or so. My current plan is to make their aliasing as follows: movement is best of base,flat and defense is just that of the base.
Go for it!

However, for move/def, i'd just make them a visual embellishment, without an effect on move/def.
True, walking on railroads can be easier than going across country, but presumably these won't ever being on forested hexes, since visually it wouldn't work.

On the other hand, if you are just going to think of these as a kind of road, then they should be a straight "flat" terrain. It's not like a bridge where land and water creatures can logically go over or under it.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

If carts that can only (or faster) travel over rail are wanted though, a new terrain type will have to be defined. I think the best way would be to make the rail overlay use it for one of the best-of movement costs, that way, all old movetypes will be able to move over rail as normal, with only those wanting to use the rail feature having to define a movement cost for it.

As for rails over forests looking bad: they're not possible anyway, as both forests and rails are overlays and the current terrain system only allow one overlay.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

AI wrote:If carts that can only (or faster) travel over rail are wanted though...
Sounds like a rather specialized need.
For such a case, i think it would be best for the scenario-maker to write some specialized WML that use these graphics, and does specifically what he wants, rather than trying to decide how an unspecified campaigns/eras should design vehicular rail travel.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks like I forgot to post about the fact that I did commit these to trunk already (apparently there's some bugs with how stuff works there, I haven't managed to test yet). The aliasing currently used is defense of base and movement of flat. I didn't end up using movement of base,flat since practically nothing has better movement on any of the potential bases than on flat.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

zookeeper wrote:Looks like I forgot to post about the fact that I did commit these to trunk already (apparently there's some bugs with how stuff works there, I haven't managed to test yet). The aliasing currently used is defense of base and movement of flat. I didn't end up using movement of base,flat since practically nothing has better movement on any of the potential bases than on flat.
Excellent! I had a feeling that these tiles were destined for mainline inclusion. Congratulations Alarantarala! It's always good to have a new artist who's able to master Wesnoth's (rather complicated) terrain coding and produce high-quality artwork at the same time. :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
boru

Post by boru »

I like the tracks very much. Would it be okay to ask for some kind of track terminal? Like a big square stone at the end of the tracks. Otherwise all tracks would have to loop or just go to the edge of the map, right?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

boru wrote:I like the tracks very much. Would it be okay to ask for some kind of track terminal? Like a big square stone at the end of the tracks. Otherwise all tracks would have to loop or just go to the edge of the map, right?
The tracks can safely end anywhere. There are some basic rail edge end pieces so that the ties don't look bitten off if they end in the middle of the map.

That said, I think I've decided to write the WML needed to fill in some of the junctions that were not possible using the bridge macro. I've got a basic outline of it in my mind and I know I need to rename 6 of the tiles done so far and add 6 more. Since I'll be revisiting the railroad anyway and can see a need for a way to stop carts from rolling off the track ends, I'll try out a couple ideas for terminals and see if I like any.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I started on the extra tiles and have finished the first two. I've also finished the WML I need to display them. However, I'm a little uncertain as to how to place the ties in the new 90 degree switches.
rails 1.png
rails 1.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
This was my original plan, but as I started detailing it I became less and less satisfied with the loose tie. So I made an alternative.
rails 2.png
rails 2.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
I feel like the spacing is too large on this one though, so I thought I'd ask for ideas.

I've also tried extending the ties on the main track, but the most important one (second from bottom counting on the straight side) ends up so close to the rails that it is either invisible or way too long.