Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Guidrion

Re: TSG, sprites reedition

Post by Guidrion »

I'm wondering if you're not some kind of alternate personality of jetryl. :hmm:

More seriously, this version of the attack works much better with that weapon. Can't wait for your next update! :D
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

rhyging5 wrote:yeaah, totaly agree... Then, shoud be more this kind of attack, isn't it?
Precisely that sort of thing - but the step should be bigger - remember that the unit will move into the hex it's attacking.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

south atack "finished". Need replies!
Attachments
southatack.gif
southatack.gif (14.46 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I think I've lurked enough months around here to have some idea of what the critique would be:

- Overall, looks wonderful.

- The movements are nicely exaggerated to convey a feeling of force, but the swoosh doesn't agree. Make it bigger (thicker... the width of the swoosh should be about as much as the height of the head of the weapon), and let it bleed through a few extra frames, "decaying" along the line of movement.

- Aside from that, perfect.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Whilst I like the effect you've used for the motion blur, it doesn't fit with the norm on Wesnoth. I'd also thicken it a little more.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Yeah, the motion blur would be better if it conformed to the wesnoth standard, and you don't really need the little motion blur copies of the weapon that you're doing to do that - but otherwise, this looks excellent. A two-frame defence animation, and I think that we're there with this guy.How_to_create_motion_blurs
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

Quite excellent.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Brilliant, but every time I see your infantry commanders I can't help but have a little nagging feeling that they don't quite match Wesnoth's main style. Not sure why, but I think it may be the armour color/style.

However, if it's fine with the art developers then I can't complain.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

They don't - not quite. But it's close enough, and good enough, that we're really not complaining.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Yeah, the motion blur would be better if it conformed to the wesnoth standard, and you don't really need the little motion blur copies of the weapon that you're doing to do that - but otherwise, this looks excellent. A two-frame defence animation, and I think that we're there with this guy.How_to_create_motion_blurs
NO. Keep the motion blur as it is! :augh:

There are certain points after which "standardization for its own sake" is just shooting ourselves in the foot. Seriously, this looks better than our current standard for motion blurs precisely because of those little tricks he's using. Don't remove them.

If anything, they're something to learn from and occasionally put to use on our other sprites.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Jetrel wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:Yeah, the motion blur would be better if it conformed to the wesnoth standard, and you don't really need the little motion blur copies of the weapon that you're doing to do that - but otherwise, this looks excellent. A two-frame defence animation, and I think that we're there with this guy.How_to_create_motion_blurs
NO. Keep the motion blur as it is! :augh:

There are certain points after which "standardization for its own sake" is just shooting ourselves in the foot. Seriously, this looks better than our current standard for motion blurs precisely because of those little tricks he's using. Don't remove them.

If anything, they're something to learn from and occasionally put to use on our other sprites.
Do you mean the copy-blur only, or the full effect? I do really like the trick rhyging is using, but the light trail that follows the weapon as it swipes *does* look too weak to my eye, and I think that it would make sense to conform that part of the blur to established standards.
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

That depends, for the majority of map terrains, there will be more of a contrast picked out between the motion blur and it's surroundings, even taking into account the alpha channel. I think it only looks weaker because of the background colour in the GIF.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Trilby wrote:That depends, for the majority of map terrains, there will be more of a contrast picked out between the motion blur and it's surroundings, even taking into account the alpha channel. I think it only looks weaker because of the background colour in the GIF.
We have a winner. I already considered what A-Red talked about before my last post, and I decided that it's not an issue. What Trilby just pointed out is exactly what I was thinking.

When I say "leave it exactly the way it is," I mean precisely that. :annoyed: Let's move on.

@rhyging5: If you could post the PNGs of the unit, that'd be great. :)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

After seeing it for the first time, I decided to download and open the .gif to see exactly what rhyging was doing that made it so good.

I've attached a couple of images that best display his overall weapon motion style, and a .zip file of all 10 of the frames in .png format.
(Although if you want them on a transparent background, Rhyging must provide them; you can only get the frames with a gray background from the .gif itself.)
Attachments
He uses a white blur when the weapon moves fast, but a [color of the weapon] blur otherwise.
He uses a white blur when the weapon moves fast, but a [color of the weapon] blur otherwise.
Frame 6.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
[color of the weapon] blur when moving the weapon, and then white when it swings.
[color of the weapon] blur when moving the weapon, and then white when it swings.
Frame 9.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
South Guard Unit Frames (Background).zip
Transparent versions would be nice, but you can extract these versions from the .gif itself.
(23.76 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

I put the same animation on differents backgraunds of the game, and the png's.
Attachments
BACKGROUND4.gif
BACKGROUND4.gif (40.71 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
BACKGROUND3.gif
BACKGROUND3.gif (38.76 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
BACKGROUND2.gif
BACKGROUND2.gif (42.12 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
BACKGROUND1.gif
BACKGROUND1.gif (40.46 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
motionblur.zip
(230.84 KiB) Downloaded 348 times