Ghosts!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Ghosts!

Post by StDrake »

I must admit the pace at which she made those is inhuman :)
Marco wrote:[..]I'll never be able to draw even a stickman and,[..]
ohrly? git off me tsi you know i had to :D
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You do realize your post is basically a heavy infantryman on swamp terrain right?
It has 90% chance of being deleted.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Gambit wrote:You do realize your post is basically a heavy infantryman on swamp terrain right?
HIs aren't really that much more vulnerable on swamp terrain than other terrain. They're hard to kill because of high HP and high resistances, which they still have in swamps. And magical attacks, which they're most vulnerable to, are unaffected by terrain.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Zarel wrote:
Gambit wrote:You do realize your post is basically a heavy infantryman on swamp terrain right?
HIs aren't really that much more vulnerable on swamp terrain than other terrain. They're hard to kill because of high HP and high resistances, which they still have in swamps. And magical attacks, which they're most vulnerable to, are unaffected by terrain.
They have fire weakness, drake burners would make short work of them.

This whole off-topic train of thought will probably be deleted really.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Last time I use a metaphor to correct someones netiquette :|
It was based soley on the defense btw (90% chance of being deleted?).
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Enough. Topic, please, gents.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

right, that was just a humouristic cut-in and making a long discussion about it is more inappropriate than my comment in the first place

now back to topic - it still troubles me about the spectre that on the portrait it's hooded while on the sprite it has something like a helmet..well the portrait is done now so we're screwed there and that leaves me wondering..are there any plans to fix the sprite to look according? :)
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
JW

Post by JW »

StDrake wrote:right, that was just a humouristic cut-in and making a long discussion about it is more inappropriate than my comment in the first place

now back to topic - it still troubles me about the spectre that on the portrait it's hooded while on the sprite it has something like a helmet..well the portrait is done now so we're screwed there and that leaves me wondering..are there any plans to fix the sprite to look according? :)
Nothing needs "fixing." Both are 100+% awesome. I think you can live with the discomfort of having the unit sprite and portrait having the ever-so-slight differences.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

StDrake wrote:right, that was just a humouristic cut-in and making a long discussion about it is more inappropriate than my comment in the first place

I'm pretty sure it's mostly because she expected it to be used for both the lvl 2 and 3. It fits both fairly well, but has elements that the sprites lack in both cases. I was kinda looking forward to a Sauron or Witch King -esque portrait.

Still awesome of course.
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

All the portraits are different than the sprites, and that is a very good feature. It would be very boring that the portrait was only a "zoom" of the sprite. This feature, makes the feel than not all the units of the same type are equal, some can have armour like in the sprite, others not like in the portrait, etc.
Variety.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Hello everybody

I would like to add my 2cents.
First of all, I think the graphical concept of the character should evolve from it's description, story and life, instead of cool new ideas. How to apply it to ghosts?

The must-heve atribiutes for the ghost (lvl1) artwork should be:
Official unit description:
Enslaved within a shroud of enchantments, a trapped spirit may be likened to the wind in the sails of a ship. This damned vessel becomes an unfailing servant which can be bound to whatever task their master sees fit.
CHAINS people! Entwine the ghost with some chains. The Ghost is in the shroud, so draw his clothes just like they are shown on the unit, somethink alike monk's habit. Let it be dirty, filthy - necromancy ain't kiddynd - it's a abomination. Let our Ghost be like that. This is TRAPPED soul after all.

"SMOKE" - user kitty, who started this topic, introduced to us a project - his skeleton-ghost is "Smoking". This is right idea guys. Think: Ghost have cold arcane attack. IMAGINE it, trapped soul, wchich belongs to outerworld, some kind of land of the dead. It's cold as death itself... So, whaterver is inside this monk's habit, I imagine it as a shroud, a soul, somethin not material. To kill it, you have to destroy the "clothes", then the soul is free to go... So - I suggest two things. NO FACE. Try to draw Ghost, but instead of face (skeleton one) let there is only "smoke"... Open discussion are hands - shoud they be skeleton-ones or something ethereal?

I really regret I have anti-draw skills, then you didn't have to read all this description:)

Las but not least - that's are only mine opinions and ideas, I not inteded to insult anybody of You, Art-Developing-Guys:)

Just think about lvl 1 Ghost in my way and tell me, what You think.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

When you consider the massive amount of work and C&C that goes into a kitty-level portrait and how awesome it comes out looking and the fact that we're on what the third one? I think it's a bit late in the ball game to ask for a total redraft...
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

@Gambit

Yeah... You're right, but what do you think about my concept? I really regret, I'm not a graphic designer, I'd do picture by myself...
Cloud
Art Contributor

Re: Kitty's random stuff: Ghost

Post by Cloud »

thespaceinvader wrote:committed
When this is said, it generally means the work is considered finished.

Unless someone comes up with a markedly better portrait for the Ghost (and with kitty being one of our best portrait artists, that doesn't seem too likely) then it isn't going to change.

Also in future could you avoid using capitals for emphasis, bold, italics or even underlined text is much nice, and doesn't give the impression of shouting.

As to your points, that is how you interpret the unit, kitty obvious see it differently to you, and as the description does not specifically mention either of the points you bring up. kitty is the artist (and portrait director) and Jetrel (our art director) agreed the look, and if those two are both in agreement (along with the majority of users) then it is defintely not going to be changed on a whim, especially not this late.

You are always welcome to give your opinions to current work, but bare in mind it is up to the artist whether or not to listen to your comments, however reading the critique guidlines is a must if you are to do so.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

I did not intend to insult anyone... I used capitals without emotional meaning.
My apolygies, if anyone feel offended.