Wooden houses tiles [committed]

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kyi_the_bard

Re: Wooden houses tiles

Post by kyi_the_bard »

Glad your back, your villages are my personal favorites, but the fence is award looking in village2_v1.png. It looks like it was hastily thrown together by a old guy that just wanted a fence for no other reason that to have a fence. Which would be cool on a large area, but on such a small space in seems out of place.
Meow
ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

Strange, but the fence is the thing I personally like most. I feel this kind of wicker fence suits very well my rural houses. Like here:

What I can do -- either move it a bit or make it longer, surrounding the house.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Moving it should help. I think the problem is that the top of the fence and the bottom of the house are too close and the corners are vertically aligned, so it looks like stilts and muddles the sense of depth. Cut & slide to the left might be all it takes to fix it.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I really look forward to whatever you consider to be "finished" versions of these. These look really nice!
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

The actual fence itself is not at all whats at issue. It's just fine. The problem is that it creates a tangent the way it sits that makes it confuse the space a little. A little overlap or a little separation will be all you need to fix that issue.
Creative Commons Fantasy Portrait Marathon!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-marathon
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

JustinOperable wrote:The actual fence itself is not at all whats at issue. It's just fine. The problem is that it creates a tangent the way it sits that makes it confuse the space a little. A little overlap or a little separation will be all you need to fix that issue.
Might it be better to have the fence as a separate entity?

ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

Ok, I did some fence variations.
The leftmost house is the previest version. Then I tried just to move the fence.
Another possible solution I thought was making the fence looking more recognizable:) So I elongated it and surrounded the house. But in this case all image looks a bit unbalanced. So I added some patches.
I personally vote for the patches! :) But, unfortunetely, the tile becomes too big, 92x92. I'm afraid it is a problem.
fences.png
fences.png (100.7 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

Simons Mith wrote:Might it be better to have the fence as a separate entity?
I like the fence as a part of the village tile, it makes 4 versions of cabins look more different. And the idea of a fence around a house is reasonable. I can draw also a separate fence tile, but how it could be used? May it be possible using it as unpassable terrain?
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Is the village tile size set at 72x72? I really like how the last one looks.. (you know, you could probably bring the fence in closer to the house to save a few pixels..)

Anyway, I really like what you're doing here, these are excellent quality! :)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Welcome back ayona. :D

I too love the "full fence with patches" version. I guess it all depends upon whether the game engine allows terrain art to spill over the hex border in the same way that unit art now can.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Actually I think the village images are bigger to start, and shrunk in game? 180x216.

I like the third one. Fence but no vegies. If you think about it we already do have terrain that is crops. and if you put that fourth one next to a piece of farm terrain it will look goofy to the Nth degree.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

ayona wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:Might it be better to have the fence as a separate entity?
I like the fence as a part of the village tile, it makes 4 versions of cabins look more different. And the idea of a fence around a house is reasonable. I can draw also a separate fence tile, but how it could be used? May it be possible using it as unpassable terrain?
It would just be a convenient way to mark borders. I don't think it would affect unit movement in any way. And separate fence graphics would allow a variety of terrain customisations - not just to villages, it would also let you make things like sheep pens and so on, or makeshift fortifications (ruined castle + 3 lines of fences + ruined castle = troll bandit hideout. That sort of thing). It's not something the game needs, but if we had it I'm sure it would be used.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed - it would, i think, be very useful to have the fence as a separate entity which could be used in flat land to enclose whole areas. Ideally, it would be nice to make a version which could somehow be used to delineate horizontal lines, too, though getting it to tile properly would be complex...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

I agree with Gambit -- patches as terrain should be terrain-size. So I attach the png of the third version of the village.
village2_v3.png
village2_v3.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 5147 times
I wait for approve (or critics) so I can start making snowy versions.

I have some ideas about the fence tiles, I'll start a new topic.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It looks great! I hope you didn't stop just because no one had said so yet.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide