Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Ideas for a UI facelift

Post by GunChleoc »

I have translated HP, XP and Level for all games that I have been working on so far. These string really should be translated. I think we lost the vertical space when adding 2 lines of terrain info below the minimap. If we arranged the buttons on the minimap horizontally, maybe we could make tha map a bit smaller and regain enough space.

Of the icons, I prefer the middle one, because it can't be confused with the "Play" button.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

GunChleoc wrote:I have translated HP, XP and Level for all games that I have been working on so far. These string really should be translated. I think we lost the vertical space when adding 2 lines of terrain info below the minimap. If we arranged the buttons on the minimap horizontally, maybe we could make tha map a bit smaller and regain enough space
I see... I guess the layout of the unit status info is pretty delicate, maybe fabi or another person who thought about this stuff before can weigh in on it.
GunChleoc wrote: Of the icons, I prefer the middle one, because it can't be confused with the "Play" button.
You know, I'm thinking about it again, I wonder if we shouldn't just get rid of the text label entirely and skip the icon. I think most people will only manage to stumble into the replay viewer if they are actually trying to view a replay, and also I think most users are going to understand what's going on just from the "media controller" buttons... the "play" and "stop" icons are among the most universally recognized icons I think.

I only say this because, I'm trying to visualize what the icon would look like now, and if its purpose is just to label the "mode" that we are in, it would be better to put that text in the title bar of the window (not actually possible here I think), than to add an icon whose only purpose is to be a label (and which you cannot click on). That just seems very awkward somehow.

I don't really see the label as adding anything very much, especially if it just creates an eyesore when you switch languages.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

iceiceice wrote:
GunChleoc wrote: Of the icons, I prefer the middle one, because it can't be confused with the "Play" button.
You know, I'm thinking about it again, I wonder if we shouldn't just get rid of the text label entirely and skip the icon. I think most people will only manage to stumble into the replay viewer if they are actually trying to view a replay, and also I think most users are going to understand what's going on just from the "media controller" buttons... the "play" and "stop" icons are among the most universally recognized icons I think.

I only say this because, I'm trying to visualize what the icon would look like now, and if its purpose is just to label the "mode" that we are in, it would be better to put that text in the title bar of the window (not actually possible here I think), than to add an icon whose only purpose is to be a label (and which you cannot click on). That just seems very awkward somehow.

I don't really see the label as adding anything very much, especially if it just creates an eyesore when you switch languages.
+1
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

I'd like to suggest to improve formatting of descriptions in the 'Help' section – if possible.
IMO, the aspect on the right looks better and makes the quite extensive description easier to read.
Wesnoth US.png