Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Ideas for a UI facelift

Post by Wintermute »

Sounds good West. :)

I agree with you - there are certianly places to improve on, and I do think that the UI feels in some ways. I look forward to seeing some fresh ideas. :)
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

That does look really cool & should be implemented asap as the engine will accommodate it?
(although i dont think the wooden panels fit with the rest)

I did try making a GUI theme myself again sometime in the autumn (sample attached), but as wesnoth UI is as obscure as it is, the panels wouldnt have worked well on resolutions i hadnt made manually special versions of the panels for (lack of tiling really hurt) - but yours is so much superior that not continuing it was for the best.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Syntax_Error wrote:(although i dont think the wooden panels fit with the rest)
Those wooden panels don't fit, true. A darker, grimier wood texture might work better though.
Syntax_Error wrote:but yours is so much superior that not continuing it was for the best.
Are you kidding? Your theme looks great, though it's obviously quite stylistically different from mine. I especially like the bg texture and those twirly little decorations. How did you make those, btw? I'm thinking of adding some similar things and I haven't yet decided on the best way to do it. Freehand drawing is the most obvious route, but I'm pondering whether I should do the basic design work in Inkscape and then paste the rasterized shapes in PS. That might make it easier to go back and edit stuff if I need to.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Great to see that this is taken care of! While the old one (who did it?) certainly isn't bad, it could really use some polish. I actually like where you are heading!
Concerning the last screenshot you posted, the shape of the "normal" button looks nice, but I think that the hover button and the bar are too saturated, the teal seems a bit too loud to me. And while I generally like the small golden borders, especially the ones in the upper right in the first screenshot, I'm not so fond of the greek ornament you are using because it is too specific associated with ancient greece - perhaps you could find a more general graphic ornament.

Can't wait to see more!
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

kitty wrote:Concerning the last screenshot you posted, the shape of the "normal" button looks nice, but I think that the hover button and the bar are too saturated, the teal seems a bit too loud to me.
Yeah you're right, no doubt about it. I usually don't see issues like that right away, I need to not look at the image for a few hours before making good desicions about color and contrast. So thanks for pointing it out.

Looking at it now, the glow around the hover button really doesn't look any good either. If it was a magical gem-looking button, sure, but why would a stone textured thingy glow like that? Bleh.
kitty wrote:And while I generally like the small golden borders, especially the ones in the upper right in the first screenshot, I'm not so fond of the greek ornament you are using because it is too specific associated with ancient greece - perhaps you could find a more general graphic ornament.
I didn't actually intend it to look Greek, but I guess it's almost impossible doing angular ornaments like that without it ending up looking Greek anyway. At first I tried some Celtic knotwork decorations but a) it didn't really go well with the dark stone look, and b) it was hard to make it look like a proper knotwork design at such a small scale.

I know, I should probably focus on more important stuff and wory about deco later, but sometimes I just get caught up in the details :)

Thanks for the feedback kitty!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

West wrote:Looking at it now, the glow around the hover button really doesn't look any good either. If it was a magical gem-looking button, sure, but why would a stone textured thingy glow like that? Bleh.
true, the hover button doesn't feel as much of a good idea as most of the other suggestions, but I'll have to disagree with kitty about the bar, as to me it looks pretty good that way - it's got a pretty cool shine, and it doesn't collide with the general medieval atmosphere (with the magic and all that).
For the dark gods!
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Check out the top portion of the frames for some deco variations. I'm not crazy about any of them, but the lower left one is probably best IMO. Just so you know, I tried using the gold color for the deco, but I think it made the frames stand out a bit much. As the middle background is quite dark, having bold and shiny frames will draw the attention away from it and the contents.

Girigistan: I've de-saturated the progress bar a bit. You still think the old version was better?
Attachments
ui-mockup5.png
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Yes, I still fancy the earlier one. There's not too much difference not to import either one into the game though, so it's pretty much all the same to me :P
The selection boxes could stand to be of a somewhat darker shade of blue, IMO, so that the text would stand out more.

As for the decorations, yes, the lower left one's probably the best. I like the rune thingies in the middle one too, but I'm guessing a lot of people would actually try to read it when they notice it, and then we'd have to figure out something inapproppriate to write on it.

EDIT: Btw, you could put something special in the top-middle section of the ornaments, like a blue gem or... something. Could even be used for an alternate close-button, maybe?
For the dark gods!
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Ditto on the lower left one. If you think they're too distracting, have you considered not letting it wrap around the entire box? Just corners or something like that could possibly work.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Girgistian wrote:The selection boxes could stand to be of a somewhat darker shade of blue, IMO, so that the text would stand out more.
What selection boxes? You mean the buttons? I'm still not sure what to do with those, pay no attention to them ATM.
Girgistian wrote:and then we'd have to figure out something inapproppriate to write on it.
"Why are you reading this instead of playing the game?" :)
Girgistian wrote:EDIT: Btw, you could put something special in the top-middle section of the ornaments, like a blue gem or... something. Could even be used for an alternate close-button, maybe?
Good idea! Maybe the frame deco doesn't have to be very elaborate if there's a sort of fancy center graphic at the top. A gem surrounded by ornaments is definitely an idea. An eagle or other bird of prey with spread out wings might look a bit too Third Reich to be useable, but what about a dragon in a similar pose? Clichéd, yes, but what the heck.
Rocket Slug wrote:Ditto on the lower left one. If you think they're too distracting, have you considered not letting it wrap around the entire box? Just corners or something like that could possibly work.
Well I don't think they're distracting right now. When I tried the gold color for the ornaments however, the frames became a bit obtrusive. But yeah, we don't necessarily need frames on all sides.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

West wrote:What selection boxes? You mean the buttons? I'm still not sure what to do with those, pay no attention to them ATM.
Aye, the buttons... nevermind the english, I don't sleep. I shall come back to the subject when you've started with them, complaining and spreading opinions.
West wrote:Clichéd, yes, but what the heck.
Indeed, what the heck. We've already got elves, orcs and dwarves so I guess it's okay to keep going down that road. A gryphon could work as well, since they're more common in wesnoth anyways, but dwagons are naturally cooler.
For the dark gods!
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

I really like where this is going. It would be a great step for the next release towards an even more polished Wesnoth.

I personally like it, but I also feel that you are correct in the need for an awesome graphic built into the interface. It shouldn't distract but a lot of the Warcraft and Warhammer et al games have pretty cool looking graphics that are built into the UI that I really think adds to the aesthetic.
Creative Commons Fantasy Portrait Marathon!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-marathon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Synerr - that stuff you did was actually pretty impressive. :)
Girgistian wrote:EDIT: Btw, you could put something special in the top-middle section of the ornaments, like a blue gem or... something. Could even be used for an alternate close-button, maybe?
Careful. You want to be really sparing (often outright not using them) with inset gems. They're really loud, and their difference with the surrounding stuff makes them look like they should be functional in some way. (which of course isn't the case if they're pure ornament.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Jetryl wrote:Synerr - that stuff you did was actually pretty impressive. :)
Yeah, I thought so too. Maybe I'm not the right person to take on this project? :)
Jetryl wrote:Careful. You want to be really sparing (often outright not using them) with inset gems. They're really loud, and their difference with the surrounding stuff makes them look like they should be functional in some way. (which of course isn't the case if they're pure ornament.
True dat. I'm leaning more towards having some golden figurine type of decoration anyway, I'm just not sure what and where to put it.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Only miniscule progress due to having a cold. I gotta say, the frame looks oddly waffle-like with that pattern. I really have to break it up somehow -- if nothing else because it's going to lead to tiling problems.
Attachments
ui-mockup6.png
ui-mockup6.png (179.5 KiB) Viewed 4662 times