Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Cave spider

Post by beetlenaut »

@Neoskel: The model was a wolf spider. I just rearranged its face a bit. I have a bunch of them inside, and some burrow, so they're fine for under ground. I think pus-filled, blubbery, abdomen-dragging spiders are cool too, but I was trying not to do Shelob here. I was going for a hunting spider that looked like it had 6 movement points. Still, more of everything is always good!

@Sgt. Groovy: I was thinking exactly the same thing. I may work on it this week, but I won't have an Internet connection where I will be, so I won't be able to post anything until next weekend. I will tentatively plan on working on the ranged attack unless someone else wants to. (Let me know in the next few hours though.)

@TSI: I tweaked the spider too to take care of the shading on the back, but I'll use yours. It's a bit better. There was another change to shadows? What are the specifications for those? Are they all to be that shade of purple at 60% opacity? It looks a little garish.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Creating_Shadows_Under_Units

They look much better on game terrains =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Creating_Shadows_Under_Units

They look much better on game terrains =)
We're entertaining this as my current folly, but because it is a unique color, rather than being something people use all the time for other stuff (like jet black was), if we decide to, we will be able to replace all the shadows across the board with a different color in five minutes, with a quick ImageMagick script ... assuming everyone uses this uniformly (as I have).
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

I wanted to animate something without wings so I gave the melee attack for the cave spider a try.

Hope you don't mind the thread necromancing. :)

Has anyone worked on the ranged attack yet ?
cretin

Post by cretin »

Because you actually DID something no one will mind the necromancing. It looks good, but I'll let an expert be a judge.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

That's really good. I think the pincers/fangs (everyone seems to know lots of spider anatomy words) "bite" more? The attack seems like the spider is hurling itself into the enemy, not biting it.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

lotsofphil wrote:That's really good. I think the pincers/fangs (everyone seems to know lots of spider anatomy words) "bite" more? The attack seems like the spider is hurling itself into the enemy, not biting it.
It's jumping on the enemy and biting it at the same time like most hunting spiders do.

I'd really like to see this guy make it into the game, thank you so much for starting on animations for it.

For the defend part, i think the spider should crouch down a little too instead of just pulling back. If that's the wind-up i don't think it's necessary.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Neoskel wrote:It's jumping on the enemy and biting it at the same time like most hunting spiders do.

I'd really like to see this guy make it into the game, thank you so much for starting on animations for it.

For the defend part, i think the spider should crouch down a little too instead of just pulling back. If that's the wind-up i don't think it's necessary.
Real spiders hurt things with biting not their great momentum, no? The attack type is blade so I figured the damage was being done by the pincers not the body slam. The pincers don't move much.

That's just my opinion. The unit and the animation are great.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks good, but the motion needs to be greatly exaggerated - crouch it down a lot more, jump it higher, make the steps bigger. The motion is great, but exaggeration is a key point in these sorts of anims.

I'm really glad someone has taken this on. It's been on my list since it was done, and any lightening of my list is ALWAYS appreciated :D
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Looks good, but the motion needs to be greatly exaggerated - crouch it down a lot more, jump it higher, make the steps bigger. The motion is great, but exaggeration is a key point in these sorts of anims.

Potentially, I don't know. It's definitely worth a shot, though - especially exaggeration of the "fangs opened -> bite-down" motion. I would suggest saving what is done right now, and being prepared to roll back if the exaggeration doesn't turn out well.

Overall, though, this is MOST excellent - I strongly encourage pixelmind to carry this through to completion; this is mainline quality, and we've needed a new spider for some time, now.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The other thing that could be really, really awesome would be a roll-over/curl up animation for death. That would look so cool :D
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

here is a slightly more exaggerated version
Attachments
cave_spider_melee_2.gif
cave_spider_melee_2.gif (19.24 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Exaggerate the jaw-movement more: open them up earlier and open them up wider. Right now it's completely overshadowed by the overall movement of the spider.
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

:hmm:
Attachments
cave_spider_melee_3.gif
cave_spider_melee_3.gif (19.26 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Not having an art title, this is about as far as my knowledge goes, but while the individual frames may look silly, they make the overall animation look good in-game. (take a look at the fencer)