Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints

Post by LordBob »

Help you will get, no worries. There's been plenty of research lately for the loyalist and dwarf series, so we're bullet-proof (ahah) when it comes to armour design.

Portrait-wise, I really encourage you to redesign what can be : good painting on weak lineart would still have to be revised in the future. If you're going to spend some time on it, better do it once for all. :wink:
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

OK. You´ve convinced me. I´ll do everything from scratch. :augh:
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

New version of Aiglondur:
Attachments
aiglondur2.png
aiglondur2.png (112.56 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints(update1)

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good - it's recognisably the same character, but the armour makes a lot more sense. A few issues, thoguh: The centre line of the chest armour could do with moving over a bit to match the rotation of his body. Same with the belt. And the axe head should be bigger. Quite a lot bigger. And probably slightly broader shoulders and body, too, and a decent amount of belly. Mildly bigger arm, and again, slightly smaller hand.

Don't feel too constrained by the need for a double bitted axe, btw - i'm sure that esr would be happy with a single blade if it works better.

Great work.

Oh, and I should add, don't feel discouraged if you get nitpicky crit like this - finding fault with minor details usually means the overall quality of the pic is great. We sometimes have a tendency to forget the 'praise' part of the crit here.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Much better. I'm sure you'll do great work using your own lineart. :D
A few quick comments, though.

- You might want to consider drawing his head more like the first picture, so that he faces the viewer slightly more.
- The grip on the axe feels uneasy. Either the axe is ready for use, in which case his grip'd be at the bottom of the handle for a better swing. Or he is at rest, in which case the most comfortable grip is right below the head in order to minimize its momentum. In any case I think it's fairly uncommon to hold axes and the like right in the middle of the handle.
- Shields usually have straps for the bearer's arm located on the middle line of the shield. Right now this suggests one elbow lower than the other. This can be solved by drawing a taller shield, or just moving it upwards.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

thespaceinvader wrote:Oh, and I should add, don't feel discouraged if you get nitpicky crit like this...
I will cry myself to sleep tonight, but I will do it as a wiser man and a better artist, ans that´s all that matters. :cry:

:wink:

Anyhow....

Thanks for a lot of good comments. The only one I choose to ignore was the angle of Aiglondurs head. I like it in profile.

Updates on all three:
Attachments
Tweaked most everything. Lowered shield and axe, trying to make a turning motion in the body, as though he has been relaxing then turns and notices something.
Tweaked most everything. Lowered shield and axe, trying to make a turning motion in the body, as though he has been relaxing then turns and notices something.
New version. I know some parts are a bit iffy, but I tried to make him appear more "Witnessy".
New version. I know some parts are a bit iffy, but I tried to make him appear more "Witnessy".
angarthing2.png (159.37 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
Only minor tweaks to horsehead and elfhead.
Only minor tweaks to horsehead and elfhead.
elurin2.png (136.63 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
turin
Lord of the East

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints(update2)

Post by turin »

Angarthing (what a name!) pwns. I can't wait to see him colored. Very good choice for how he should hold the mace.

I like the other two as well, but that one's just awesome, so I thought I'd say it. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

:augh: Those are so sexy they make my brain hurt
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Angarthing's head is too small and off-centre (skewed to righ, his POV). The ball of the flail could also be a bit smaller and the spikes longer.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Angarthing looks great! Make sure to rotate him round a bit before the final version though, he's falling over backward at the moment =P

I really like the low angle, though. It gives him a real air of command.

I think Aiglondur's leg still needs to come outward a little more. Aside from that, he looks REALLY good. The armour is unique enough to distinguish him, but similar enough to the mainline dwarves to look like it shares their influences.

With all the dwarves, too, it would be nice if you could make sure they're low enough in the frame to match the mainline ones, too.

I love these. Fantastic stuff. I wish my sketching style were that fluid. I tend not to be able to post sketches because nobody else would be able to tell what the heck is going on.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks for the comments, everyone!
thespaceinvader wrote:With all the dwarves, too, it would be nice if you could make sure they're low enough in the frame to match the mainline ones, too.
I´m not sure what you mean.

Lower them in the frame somewhat, so they have approximatly as far between the egde of the 400 pixel frame and where the drawing starts as the mainline dwarves?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Yes, indeed. So that when you look at the pictures next to one another, their heads are at roughly the same height in the frame - just to make them appear to be roughly the same size. It's one of the things which indicates how tall they are =)
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Will fix that before I finish the images.

Anyhow... Inked Aiglondur:
Attachments
Struggling with the shield, and the shoulder-guards.
Struggling with the shield, and the shoulder-guards.
aiglondur4.png (96.69 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Much love =D

The shoulder guards look pretty good to me (though i suspect LordBob might be more help). Possibly the axe handle could be a little thicker.

There're a few missing lines here and there, though, but I assume they'll get filled in when you colour.

The only other issue i see right now is that the chainmail looks a bit too fluffy. The edges don't tend to be quite that bobbly.
mameluke

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints(update3)

Post by mameluke »

Maybe there is an issue with the "root" of his nose (between the eyes)?
It seems either like there is a line missing or that he has a nose "like a sail".
Hope you know what I mean...

my 2 pence
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...