Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: goblin portraits

Post by kitty »

But it is an interesting, unusual pose.
Unusual and interesting are not the criteria - please re-read my previous post.
I'm not going to argue about that.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Simons Mith wrote:Re the balance issue, why not put his feet flat on the ground? That is[/] a comfortable, neutral posture, but only if your Achilles tendon is about 2" longer than is common for westerners. It's easy, though, if you've done it from birth:

http://www.shunya.net/Pictures/NorthInd ... ngGirl.jpg
(100k image)

That girl is balanced, not because her feet are flat on the ground, but because she´s leaning her body towards her knees so that her weight is distributed equally to the back and front.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I love the picture, even if it won't be included in mainline. (remembers the art gallery, and wonders what exactly happened to it >_>)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

well thanks for all that discussion :) Unfortunately I don't like changing images so drastically, and I still happen to like it as it is, but I agree it was way out of style. Soo, in my hopeless goblin series here comes another, as the impaler - Might possibly work on the armor more. And honestly the pose was a hard one ;)
Attachments
goco.jpg
goco.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 6628 times
comics, comics
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good, but for a few things - I'd change the angle of the spear, to make it easier to sort it out for the crop. The grip on the spear looks a little loose, so try to tighten up the fingers. And the facial anatomy is a little off - again, the nose should match that seen on the Orc Grunt portrait in SVN.

I like the armour design, though - it looks really rough and cobbled together like I'd expect from a goblin =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The boxiness of these goblins vaguely reminds me about the Carl Barks story where Donald and the nephews travel to the Andes to search for the cubical eggs.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:The boxiness of these goblins vaguely reminds me about the Carl Barks story where Donald and the nephews travel to the Andes to search for the cubical eggs.
He must have failed. we only have Alpacas and those reproduce by weaving new ones together.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

:) yeah, I agree having squarish forms there. Tried to curve some of them, played with the face a bit,
and added the base colors (hands may need further work though I think):

For cropping, it's already 400x400 pixels so that wouldn't hurt the spear would it?

Oh and btw I wanted to have some symbol on the buckle of the belt - then I remembered that symbol the orcish sovereign sprites have, in case you are wondering...
Attachments
goco_color.jpg
goco_color.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
comics, comics
ink

Post by ink »

Pretty nice. I like the armor design and the color sheme is nice. I think is expression is kinda weird like he's bored or something. The back arm looks like it's in the wrong position also.
Some of my websites (mostly in french)
http://inkorpora.com | http://hot-team.org | http://jak.nu11.info
Spi

Post by Spi »

Those hands holding the spear are facing th viewer too much to my humble opinion: you'd have to see more knuckle and less thumb for it to work correctly I think: as it is my eyes show me inconsistence between the spear going through the hands and the hands holding the spear.

Take this with a grain of salt (I know I can't draw any better) but I think the face should be even less squarish: wouldn't goblins have less strong features than their fully grown orc counterparts?

In any case great job so far.
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

I took the views into consideration, played with the hands a bit, and did some painting. The pose still seems somewhat mechanical to me, and I may play with the skin color, but as it stands:
Attachments
goco_color.png
goco_color.png (160.13 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
comics, comics
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

For a goblin I consider the pose fine. Looks like someone forced to take up a weapon but without any real training...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

well.. I'm not happy about it though, his is very well dressed to me, almost like a regular infantry,
and quite stocky too. Didn't like how his face turned out when painted, I wish I had chosen somewhat
a brighter base color for the face, etc...

In the meantime, I have something I intented for the goblin rouser, and yes that thing he's holding
is an horn :)

I may have some anatomical issues with this one, not sure if his chin is longer then it's supposed to be, and the right arm
may need some further work - apart from that, I'm happy with his outfit and pose. So here it comes:
Attachments
I can rouse anyone with my horn
I can rouse anyone with my horn
rouser2.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
comics, comics
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The face is in full profile view, but the back of the head is seen like from 45 degree angle. Also, the ear should be further back, it connects to the head behind the jaw joint.

I'm not so sure about the turn-away pose and the mellow expression. The rouser's role is to goad others to fight more fiercely, so he should have more engaging pose and expression.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I only have one concern on the spear on his back, it is tied into place, but in a place where he could neither readily tie it himself or easily free it to use it. Plus, it would have to be tied tight enough to hold it in place and the loops are so small that I do not think that he could just be said to slide it in and out either.

Sgt. Groovy wrote:I'm not so sure about the turn-away pose and the mellow expression. The rouser's role is to goad others to fight more fiercely, so he should have more engaging pose and expression.
I have to agree, he seems as if he does not completely care at all about what he is doing, and would rather do anything but blow the horn. He should be ready to fight, itching to ditch the horn and get into battle.

"Hey man, hold up... yeah yeah, wait, I gotta go blow on this horn or something... get the troops rallied up.... woo go crush kill, man... yeahhhh."
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time