Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Shiki
Developer

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by Shiki »

Hello Doofus. Thank you for your great work.
I want to point out a few details I noticed.

I tried recently your new Cer Terrain. It went in particular well to combine Cer with Ke. (used it for a devling's keep)
- Strangely, the ground in front of the tent is different if you combine Cer & Ke or Ce & Ker. The first uses the ground of the adjacent castle tiles, while the other uses his own. Not a problem, just confused me, I think in the Cer & Ke case it looks perfect.
- In some cases transitions are missing, when combining a Encampment Keep of the one type and castle tiles of the other together with some grass.
- Combining different encampment keeps is problematic in general.
- Cme integrates nicely with standard cave walls, but in one case it misses a transition. I found it useful in an underground river.
- I marked a few places, to point out sth. else
Spoiler:
Try out the dark board theme.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello Shiki,

Thanks for the observations. I'll try to take a stab at some of them this weekend.
Shiki wrote:- Strangely, the ground in front of the tent is different if you combine Cer & Ke or Ce & Ker. The first uses the ground of the adjacent castle tiles, while the other uses his own. Not a problem, just confused me, I think in the Cer & Ke case it looks perfect.
Which flavor of dirt overlaps the other can be changed, if necessary. But if we get too fancy, with dark dirt sometimes on top, sometimes on bottom, depending on the exact terrain code, that's opening the door for more corner-case transitions.
Shiki wrote: In some cases transitions are missing, when combining a Encampment Keep of the one type and castle tiles of the other together with some grass.
That must be a bug from terrain code filtering.
Shiki wrote:Combining different encampment keeps is problematic in general.
Yeah, they weren't really built with that in mind.
Shiki wrote:Cme integrates nicely with standard cave walls, but in one case it misses a transition. I found it useful in an underground river.
The example in the image you posted happens for any castle in that particular configuration. I'm not sure why. Some sort of bug.
Shiki wrote: I marked a few places, to point out sth. else
The black stuff overlapping the stone tiles can be fixed by simply lowering the chasm images layer (from -90 to -290). That doesn't seem to break anything, but I am not completely sure right now.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Hey doof, awesome work! Do you have an instagram or something where we could see all your work in one place?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Just want to say I've got an Elvish Castle Ruins here, in case there is some critical flaw I'm not seeing: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/2064
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:Do you have an instagram or something where we could see all your work in one place?
Thanks, PSR. No, I've been averse to social media, these forums are the exception. The incompetent parasites at Equifax and TransUnion have shown how pointless that attitude is (at least in the USA), but I've made my choice and I'm sticking to it for now.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great! That looks really good :D
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

One of the corners stands out a bit, looks different as if has retained not-ruined elf keep colors instead.
swcornerdiff.png
swcornerdiff.png (13.83 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
If you can replace the palm coming out of the tower with something like an dead tree it would be universally useful. Same applies for the pine tree next to keep wall variation as those are bound to end up looking odd when placed in another climate zone.
palmnecorner.png
palmnecorner.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Eagle_11,

You're right, those weren't great images. They've been replaced, hopefully the issues are addressed.

BfW 1.13.10 should be out soon, if anyone sees something odd in terrain graphics, feel free to report it here. I can't guarantee I'll see it as important or that I'll try to fix it, but it would be good if we got the most embarrassing mistakes fixed now before going on to Steam with BfW 1.14.
--------------------------------------
My most recent PR is https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/2103 for wall sconces (includes a screenshot), replacing the stone-wall-with-torches for something more generalized.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I like the idea of making the torch an overlay. I'd say to not remove the lit stone wall though, since it's already done and it allows the map maker to put a different overlay in the nearby ground.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Samonella wrote: I'd say to not remove the lit stone wall though, since it's already done and it allows the map maker to put a different overlay in the nearby ground
It's unlikely that particular terrain will be removed because removing terrains breaks maps.

I'm not sure overlay is really the best way to do this, but making separate lit variations for everything would clutter the editor. As long as it is an overlay though, I made a variation for non-wall terrains. I'm not sure how to handle the "directionality" without the walls, it might not even mean anything, so I put it straddling the north edge of the hex. Placing it in the middle of the hex would make it look like a barrier.

Here's a question: Is something like this better just as an embellishment, or should it have a halo and shift the time-of-day with light?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Samonella wrote:I'd say to not remove the lit stone wall though,
Despite what I said, it seems that old terrain has been hidden, but I think it will still be available for those in the know. Even if it is removed, I should point out that it will still be possible to define a hex any way you want with [terrain], [item], and [event]. If there is something lost, please let me know (or file an issue on GitHub). We shouldn't simply delete old terrain codes, we should make it easy to see that a map needs to be updated, without making the game abort when the old map is loaded.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a pseudo-overlay/variation for the clean stone tiles: Royal Rug - https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/2114
I plan to make a "rough" version, that is for some other flat terrain. What would be a good base terrain to underlay the rough rug? Regular dirt?
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Looks like portals leading into the realm of bluescreen with fancy borders rather than carpets, its probably mainly the shade of blue(no, that is not violet at all) you used for their color.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

They do use a lot of cold colors, and I think they would look better a little warmer. I changed them to a slightly redder shade of purple, made the gold tend more towards orange than green, and boosted the contrast a little. I think it looks more like a royal rug now. It looked OK before though, too, so you don't have to change it if you don't want to.
doofus-01 wrote:What would be a good base terrain to underlay the rough rug? Regular dirt?
Shouldn't they have a broken up version of what is normally below them? A rug would decompose really fast in the dirt too.

Edit: My picture didn't make it the first time. I'm having internet trouble.
Attachments
rug.png
rug.png (217.05 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Eagle_11 wrote:(no, that is not violet at all)
This comment greatly puzzles me. I can't find the word "violet" anywhere on this page or the pull request page, so what made you think someone thought of it as violet?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote:Shouldn't they have a broken up version of what is normally below them?
I'm not sure what you mean. :hmm:

As for the dirt underlayer, I've got second thoughts about that anyway. The straight edges of the carpet might mean wooden floor is the only option. Otherwise, the cobbles could make sense, as they seem to be fairly general purpose (castle, village, cave ...).
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Eagle_11 wrote:(no, that is not violet at all)
This comment greatly puzzles me. I can't find the word "violet" anywhere on this page or the pull request page, so what made you think someone thought of it as violet?
He said purple yet i had somehow seen it as an dark shade of blue, so violet came closest and i thought it was supposed to be.
Looking at it again, that seems purple enough. Sorry, i must have been tired when have made the comment.