Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
lord_joakim

Re: Terrain: Sandcastles

Post by lord_joakim »

I'll just jump in to add this;

I am amazed that you are able to work so disciplined while being colorblind, and that you do it so damn well. Keep up the good work!

Currently, I think it is definitely suitable for the game itself. It's better than the Orc castles you did recently, actually. Have a moderator had this contributed yet? Is it only me who think this is mainline quality?
em3

Post by em3 »

doofus-01 wrote:I'd had in mind to put flames in the chimney-like ones, but I think I was just getting carried away. It would be too distracting.
What about... not making any towers for the concave keep? I think that replacing them with just wall corners could look interesting.
ride on shooting star
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:The tall towers, with two windows side by side as eyes and one lower as mouth. It's one of those things where once you start seeing it as a face, you can't help but seeing it as a face.
If you mean the doorway as a mouth, that happens all the time. I see just as much of a face in this
Taj Mahal:
I'll see if I can come up with something else, but it's not high on my list.
lord_joakim wrote:Currently, I think it is definitely suitable for the game itself. It's better than the Orc castles you did recently, actually. Have a moderator had this contributed yet? Is it only me who think this is mainline quality?
It isn't finished yet. Even if it were, I don't believe it wouldn't be going into 1.8. So if anyone wants to use it in 1.8, they can use it as UMC. The images are all in one folder, so it should be easy to update. For the terrain-graphics.cfg entries you can use the same macros as the regular human castle.
em3 wrote:What about... not making any towers for the concave keep? I think that replacing them with just wall corners could look interesting.
Possibly. It does get too cluttered with all tall towers.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

if someone want to use it as umc, base it on the elvish castle rather than the human castle,

the human caslte has some complicated handlming for the ruined stuff.
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Well, I see no reason why they can't go in UtBS during 1.9.

Please make a ruined version as well, the first scenario needs ruins because of that meteor thing.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fabi - Sure. Once the standard ones are done, ruins should not be too difficult.
boucman - I do not understand. There is something more than this?:

Code: Select all

{KEEP_BASE               (C##,K##)                                           sand-castle/cobbles}
{DISABLE_BASE_TRANSITIONS  (C##,K##)}
{WALL_TRANSITION      C##                 (!,C##,K##)                      sand-castle/castle}
{WALL_TRANSITION2     K##                 C##             (!,C##,K##)      sand-castle/keep-castle}
{WALL_TRANSITION      K##                 (!,K##)                          sand-castle/keep}
(replacing ## by custom terrain code) It appeared to work, but maybe I didn't test something...

I looked at cutter a bit more and am now more confused. I'm not a programmer and am probably going about this wrong, but I do not know how much free time I will have in the future and I also wanted to know if cutter was going to work before continuing with the castles. So...

<wesnoth>/data/tools/castle-cutter does not appear to work. mk-all-castles.sh calls for cutout.png, which I could not find, and if I make it exist by merging cutout-fg & -bg.png, all generated convex .pngs are blank. The two scripts do not appear to be tied to the cutter binary because changing the .tmpl entries from *-ne, *-nw, etc. to *-tr, *-tl, etc. has no effect on the output of cutter binary. Also, GIMP cannot open that .xcf file.

I had wanted to change the generated .png names to the *-tr, *-tl, etc. scheme because that's what the current castles use.

Changing the *-ne, *-nw, etc. to *-tr, *-tl in <wesnoth>/data/tools/exploder/castle-exploded-convex.cfg, models/castle.cfg, and <wesnoth>/images/tools/exploder causes an error:

name@computer>cutter castle-exploded-convex.png output
Failed: Unable to find mask corresponding to castle-convex-nw

I didn't see where else *-ne, *-nw, etc. could be changed. (I'm not going anywhere near the .cpp & hpp stuff.)

Summary: data/tools/castle-cutter looks like it is obsolete. I don't know how to modify the exploder-cutter (except to break it). Castle-cutter did appear to address the castle-keep transitions. Exploder-cutter may as well, but it is not as clear.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

about the terrain-graphics rules : if the work for you then it's good, i might have to adjust more when integrating to mainline (not sure, i'm not on my main computer, so it might be correct)

about the cutter : i made the castle-cutter basically work, though the details are a bit complicated and IIRC the make-all part didn't work

note that if you run "scons cutter" (or whatever your build system is) you will get a different binary wich is the one that is suppose to pair with the exploder tool you have

you might want to try that since I can't help you much from here
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK. It sounds like you have it under control, so maybe it would be best if I just go back to the drawing department and we'll straighten it all out when you get back from your travels.

Under the assumption that cutter will make this process so much faster, I'm starting another one: an evil castle, or at least another underground castle like the dwarf one. There are no keeps, so it should be easier. Unless the cave wall transitions are complicated.

Here's the start. No need for anyone to critique the shading, I'm aware of some flaws. It's just here for the concept.
Attachments
castle-cutter-template-evil1a.png
castle-cutter-template-evil1a.png (6.26 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

More underground castles would be great. When you are done with these, would you consider doing a castle for merfolk or nagas? They don't have castles of their own, and have to use sunken ruins in order to have something under water.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Wow, now Creeping Biggerism is spreading to castles too. Those towers' diameters are easily twice the human or elven castles' towers' diameters.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I think it's zoomed so he can work easier, since those dimensions don't appear to fit a hex. There's also quite a bit more detail than we ussually see in our castles.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Has gambit has said, (and like you could see on the sand castle) he first does the basic in a bigger resolution (since its easier to make the details) and later on he reduces the castle in size.

Still I have a place in my heart for his "bigger up" version of the sand castle, even if it was bigger because it looked awesome :D
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Zerovirus wrote:Wow, now Creeping Biggerism is spreading to castles too. Those towers' diameters are easily twice the human or elven castles' towers' diameters.
Check the dwarf castles.
Vendanna wrote:Has gambit has said, (and like you could see on the sand castle) he first does the basic in a bigger resolution (since its easier to make the details) and later on he reduces the castle in size.
The sand castles were big because I screwed up. I used to work at twice the size, but shrinking them adds an extra step (not a big step, but multiply by 36 or however many images there are) and a 1 px paintbrush works just as well to prevent them from looking like sprites.
beetlenaut wrote:When you are done with these, would you consider doing a castle for merfolk or nagas?
I'd seen the request in the Deadwater topic, but I was having a hard time translating the merman villages into a castle idea. Maybe some Parthenon-type thing could work though.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Couldn't you just do something like what you did with the Orcish castles? Rocky spires similar to the villages' motif, with decorative strands of seaweed and green windows?
someone

Post by someone »

What about this as some inspiration?
Attachments
Mermaid-Fairy-Castle-th.jpg
Mermaid-Fairy-Castle-th.jpg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
Expanding Wesnoth

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.