Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: The new Wesnoth logo and the Loyalist sigil

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I'm trying to create a procedural leather texture for the dark area of the shield in the logo. I didn't want to bias people's perception be telling what they are supposed to be, but everyone seeing them as leather is a good sign. The colour is from the old logo.

I'm fairly pleased myself with the upper version, once I'll get the gaps between the raised parts narrower. The other one is nice too, rougher and thicker like elephant or rhino skin, but not exactly what I'm after.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Leather at first, but then there are the odd flat bits (more noticeable on the bottom one)...
JW

Post by JW »

Am I the only one that detests the checkerboarding?

The latest image is good other than that, and I prefer the flames over the sun as well. And the hook was already covered.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but if everybody else likes it, I don't think it's a huge problem...
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

How else would you represent facets in a two-tone logo? I neither like nor dislike it, but isn't it pretty much inescapable?

[edit in response to the three posts below [now split to OT]:] Yeah, but the point is that particularly at small scales, the requirements of clarity limit you to a single foreground and background colour and that's your lot. Maybe
we shouldn't think of it as a 'logo' at all, as that word has rather modern connotations. We need to think in terms of good heraldry; in particular, follow the rules of tincture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_tincture) which probably will restrict us to a two-tone log- er, sigil.
Last edited by Simons Mith on March 19th, 2009, 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

I'm sorry for derailing this topic into Just Chat, but I do have a serious question.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:I'm trying to create a procedural leather texture for the dark area of the shield in the logo. I didn't want to bias people's perception be telling what they are supposed to be, but everyone seeing them as leather is a good sign. The colour is from the old logo.
I always imagined the shield as being made of stained hardwood reinforced with a brass outer edge strip and boss. Am I just looking at it wrong? Is it supposed to be leather?
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I don't know, because the only version of it is too small to see the texture clearly. Since it looks more granular than groovy, I though leather might be one option. I have a painted wood texture in the works too, though, and I'm going to try them out both and use the one that looks better.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Maybe we shouldn't think of it as a 'logo' at all, as that word has rather modern connotations.
Just to make things clear, this thread is about two issues:
  1. The logo of Battle for Wesnoth, the game, which is the shield and crossed swords (as seen on the first page of the thread). The design of this logo is set, I'm only making a bigger, vectored version of it. A simpler, monochrome silhouette version will also be made.
  2. The sigil of the Royal Family of the Kindom of Wesnoth, a simplified image of the sceptre of fire, which will appear embossed on the shield of the logo. It can also appear in various other contexts, such as flags, tunics, armour, etc. Since it will be rendered in many different ways, like embossed or etched on metal, carved in wood, chiselled on stone, painted on various materials, embroidered, tattooed and in stamps and seals, the basic shape needs to be fairly simple, and indeed follow the design principles of modern logos.
As for the checkeredboard pattern, please keep in mind that in most cases the sigil will not appear as back and white, often the contrast will be much lighter, and when embossed, it won't even be in different colours, ony different elevations.

Anyway, here's the latest version, with new hook and flame:
Attachments
Sceptre-sigil-4.png
Sceptre-sigil-4.png (9.79 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
JW

Post by JW »

Anyway, here's the latest version, with new hook and flame:
They both look pretty good. I actually really like the new representation for the flames.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:As for the checkeredboard pattern, please keep in mind that in most cases the sigil will not appear as back and white, often the contrast will be much lighter, and when embossed, it won't even be in different colours, ony different elevations.
If the checkerboard won't actually be checkerboard then I guess I don't have a problem with it.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Here's some work in progress with the shield. The texture is by no means final, I'm mostly trying out how the lighting works on it in general (click on it, the forum resizing messes things up as usual):
Attachments
Icon-swordshield.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The hook could still stand to maybe be a little smaller, and i think perhaps the circle at the base of the flames is a little too obvious - a few smaller mores stylised flames akin to the modern day 'flammable' symbol might work better.

The shield looks good, but i think the metals need to be slightly darker in the shaded parts - there's not enough contrast for it to read properly as metal for me at present.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The metal parts are in very early stage at this point.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

As you noted, still in the early stages so I am sure you will make them fit together a bit more, but it currently feels as if the metal and material are completely separate parts just sitting on each other and not actually part of each other, particularly in the middle. The transitions from the central shield to the leathery texture does not seem to flow.

But I know you're working, so just making a note. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The newest scepter image looks awesome. I think the flames around the ruby could use some touchups (the basic shape is good, but it looks weird around the white circle: The lines just stop, making them not look like normal brush strokes, but rather like the emblem is made by putting down a circle on top of the ruby and then painting the flames design on top of that, so when you take the circle off, there's a very clear line of where it once was... if that's what you're going for, fine, but I think making it look more natural would be better.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I like the new sceptre, but the previous version is fine too : I'd like it if we coud choose between these variants in the end :)

As to the shield, it looks promising but the textured leather has a disturbing cleanness and regularity. I'd try to tone it down with a few strokes of various shaped brushes, varying light intensity, patches of dust...
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !