Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Khalifate facelift: Redux

Post by doofus-01 »

homunculus wrote:And the most fun detail of all, if you look at the last posts in this thread, you see a newer (and in my opinion better) version of the same sprite. Huh?
(?) He's using the new sprite, maybe some pixels got lost in punching out the background?
Zoomo wrote:How about something like this? he blocks his face some more:
You've got the right idea. Have you tested this "in game"? Use the macro {DEFENSE_ANIM REACTION_IMAGE BASE_IMAGE HIT_SOUND}, I think that's the standard. It uses two frames, and looks best when there is one that is "anticipatory" (getting ready to get hit, not the unit's base image) and one that is the actual animation. So, one where the Arif is preparing to get hit, and one where he has the shield up. Don't worry if it doesn't make a cool GIF, just make it work "in game", that's where it matters.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

doofus-01 wrote:
homunculus wrote:And the most fun detail of all, if you look at the last posts in this thread, you see a newer (and in my opinion better) version of the same sprite. Huh?
(?) He's using the new sprite, maybe some pixels got lost in punching out the background?
Yeah, I thought it was the same unit as the upper left unit in this post
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 60#p566784
Sorry for the confusion.

Nice smooth animation.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
van_tarkin

Post by van_tarkin »

I am so much like wyvern rider.That would be unbelievably great if someone animated it. :cry:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Agreed — I'd also love to see the wyvern rider be included as a bonus khalifate unit in mainline (by bonus, I mean units that aren't included in a multiplayer faction).
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi everyone.

Since I got involved into the halifate problem (and there is a problem with khalifate sprites for sure), by using khalifate hero in my campaign, and since I am perfectionist, and I cant bear some non-perfect things in my campaign...
So the only way is to fix it by myself.

Here is Arif unit sprite that is looks similar to both Ghazi and Mudafi sprites. In contrast to current Arif over-chained sprite.
arif.png
arif.png (2 KiB) Viewed 9510 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Within an campaign ive found these, seems to be attack anims for lvl3 footman, (i had renamed them but dont mind it)
and an version of mainline khalifa lvl3 skirmisher(im incapable of memorizing their names sorry :( ) one with an flaming sword, or atleast of the one previous sprite.
Attachments
lvl3swordsmanattack.tar
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I redrew an image.
Recoloured a shirt from green to blue. Also swithed lights on helm from right to left, cause on Mudafi image, which is original for sprite, the helm shines at the left side, also made other corrections concerning this point.

Now I am really fully satisfied with my new Arif.
arif.png
arif.png (2 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
But what I have to say.

This forum called 'Contribute art to mainline Wesnoth'.

So really I wait some reaction/feedback from game developers or at least khalifate fans.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Today I was not able to stop myself from doing this sprite.
mywhat.png
mywhat.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 9273 times
This is kinda Khalifate in chainmail. Something like wighwar, but more historically realistic. Because I really wonder what a role plays a piece of chain mail between legs of current Mighwar. Possibly it prevents him to run, and a cloack helps this purporse too. Best choice for a skirmisher.

Actually I want to create a unit which looks like a portrait of Haldric II from mainline. However I am sure that black-haired person on portrait is no way Haldric 2, it have nothing similar to Haldric 2 sprite. But it could be good portrait for some Khalifate, just need to add beard to the face.
haldric-ii.png
haldric-ii.png (185.11 KiB) Viewed 9273 times
And this how it really looks like. Did you ever tried to run with something like this on you? I did. :lol:
3000170.jpg
3000170.jpg (113.22 KiB) Viewed 9266 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Well. Was broking my eyes again this night, but here is a result based on a previous work.

Level N skirmisher without knee-caps and breastplate and a band on the helm, and Level N+1 skirmisher with knee-caps and breastplate and a band on the helm. Possible Level N+2 skirmisher with golden knee-caps and breastplate.
level_n.png
level_n.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
level_n+1.png
level_n+1.png (1.99 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
The more important thing, I guarantee that these sprites are historically accurate. I shortened chainmail so a unit could run with it. And also knee-caps is really best basical leg defence for a unit which needs to move fast.

Real breastplate "zertsalo" [mirror] with chainmail. This is Turkish made (Osman empire-made) breastplate from Russian museum.
zercalo.jpg
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Aldarisvet wrote:The more important thing, I guarantee that these sprites are historically accurate.
Why would historical accuracy be a good thing? The Khalifate are not Turks. They're not Arabs, either. They're the Khalifate. There's no such historical faction. They may draw inspiration from Turks or Arabs or other historical sources, but they have no obligation to be accurate to those sources.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:The more important thing, I guarantee that these sprites are historically accurate.
Why would historical accuracy be a good thing? The Khalifate are not Turks. They're not Arabs, either. They're the Khalifate. There's no such historical faction. They may draw inspiration from Turks or Arabs or other historical sources, but they have no obligation to be accurate to those sources.
I mean historically accurate in context of adequacy to reality. If it existed in real world, it could exist in fantasy world.
Skirmisher must be light unit with light armor that let him run fast. Short chainmail + such 'sun-like' breastplate is a possible armor for him that really existed. I was just defending my sprite, as something possible. I'm hard on myself, not to others.

What is not possible in real world is unit like Dragoon, which is heavily armored, having shield and sword and same time crossbow. Well, it excusable in fantasy world, but I myself would avoid creating such things.

But still, as I said, I really wonder what a role plays a piece of chain mail between legs of current Mighwar. Not very funtional, and would be hard to run with it, however, still it protects male dignity :D
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Aldarisvet wrote:What is not possible in real world is unit like Dragoon, which is heavily armored, having shield and sword and same time crossbow. Well, it excusable in fantasy world, but I myself would avoid creating such things.
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. A crossbow isn't that difficult to carry around, is it? If a fighter can stand the weight of their armour, shield, and sword, I'd think adding a crossbow wouldn't be much of a stretch; they wouldn't be able to wield both simultaneously, of course, but I think they could be ready to pull out either one at a moments' notice — a crossbow can hold a bolt in place ready for firing, while the sword would be sheathed until needed. I don't know if real historical people did such things, mind you. But this is fantasy, so I don't think that matters either.
Aldarisvet wrote:Short chainmail + such 'sun-like' breastplate is a possible armor for him that really existed. I was just defending my sprite, as something possible.
Well, I don't have any issue with the design, and using real historical references isn't a bad thing, either.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are my plate-mail version of Khalifate skirmishers.
I still cannot remember that 'mywhat' or 'mywish', sorry :lol:
Now I am fully content and I will use them in chapter 2 of my campaign for my khalifate hero. Chained ones will do for chapter1.
Also these sprites have that advantage that they can easely be animated for attacks (cause the sword in the right side).
zaryal.png
zaryal.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 8958 times
The golden armor of next unit is especially expensive, so only true Oriental luxury could afford such!
zaryal2.png
zaryal2.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 8958 times

2 Celtic_Minstrel

I dont want to offtop here about mounted crossbowmens. It is actually quite exotic and almost did not used type of army. There are specific problems with recharging crossbow on the horse. So you must be fully concentrated on crossbow. To say short, you can fire with crossbow just 1 time. Then you have to run away fast to recharge, or put crossbow away and fight. Such heavy armor and shield together with crossbow is nonsense. You can read about it here, use google translator from Russian.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%EE%ED ... 7%E8%EA%E8