Ghastly

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darker_Dreams

Ghastly

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I'm particularly fond of DiD, and one of the few polishing points that sticks out about it is the Ghast (a unit advancement which also seems to be a popular reuse point). Now, I'm pretty C-grade as an artist, but I figure some sort of modification on the Necrophage might be within my capabilities.

Now, the question becomes- how modified does the unit need to be. My first reaction is that "creeping biggerism" concerns indicate that "bigger" isn't necessarily desirable, but "more embellished" (more spikes, bigger claws, etc) would serve the same purpose well.

If this is the wrong direction (ie; such a modified sprite isn't desired as an improvement over the ancient sprite and we'd rather wait for an all-new sprite to be made), that's fine. If this needs something more... well, I think it needs something more, but all my ideas end up looking overblown (shoulder spikes look ridiculous, horns are inappropriate, glowing eyes are overdone, etc.)

so, attached is a draft, and the Necrophage base for comparison. next to one another, there's a clear difference, and a visual size difference, but I'm not sure what *more* to do to make a more obvious difference when they aren't next to one another.
Attachments
ghast.png
ghast.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
necrophage.png
necrophage.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
Jozrael

Re: Ghastly

Post by Jozrael »

A: You're a far better artist than I. Take what you will from these comments.

B: I think the mouth is too overexaggerated. I'd revert it mostly, or find a happy medium.

C: I like the idea of spikes on his shoulders, etc. Perhaps you were making them too large or defined.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

At a glance (and when you only have one on the map, not both of them side by side) it's rather hard to tell the difference. I'd suggest changing the overall skin colour a bit, maybe darkening with a bit less saturation, or something. Changing the pose even somewhat would also be a good way to make it distinct; maybe raise the hands a bit into a slight mantis-like position, or rotate the hands so that the palms are facing more like upwards, or something like that.

Oh, and the ghast isn't actually wired in DiD anymore, but I'll put it right back in if you finish these new graphics for it.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think this looks better for the ghast:

(from IFtU's Art Workshop thread)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

But that doesn't have any similarities to the necrophage other then they're both green. I think if the pose of the previously posted ghastly whatever was slightly altered it would look, in my opinion, pretty good and distinct.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Jozrael; first, I'm not much of an artist. At best I'm a pixel-pushing hack. As for the mouth, I think it needs to be exaggerated for two reasons; 1) because it does provide a difference between the levels and 2) because the primary attack is a bite, and it's supposed to be trying to eat people... As for the spikes, my best results are below.

zookeeper; What you're describing is essentially what I expected. I've tried shifting the hand/claw (see below), but I suspect moving to an even more mantis-like pose is going to just look silly and contorted (especially on a big hulk like this, if I can even manage it).
It's a shame to hear that it's out, but I completely understand why. If we can get a base frame that I find doable I'll work out the animations for it.

Sapient; Artistically, I absolutely find that better. Thematically, it's clearly a (highly artistically evolved) descendant of the original/current Ghast graphic. However, I'm going to have to go with Mirion147 about similarities- the first two units go in direction one, then suddenly that goes in a completely other direction...

Mirion147; I think it's going to take more than a simple pose-shift.
Attachments
ghast2.png
ghast2.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
ghastspike.png
ghastspike.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I agree with Jozrael that the mouth seems a bit excessive. I think the shoulder spikes might looks a little better if they were more bone-like--closer in color to the teeth. And I think more than one pair (like on the older image) might really do it. Possibly even with some on the head.

But that's all just me thinking out loud. Feel free to ignore me since I'm not jumping up to do the work myself. :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I can't believe you are serious.

Wouldn't it be better to work with the clean sprite I posted (and make it look more like the necrophage) than to continue tweaking that disgusting, hopeless blob?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Sapient wrote:I can't believe you are serious.

Wouldn't it be better to work with the clean sprite I posted (and make it look more like the necrophage) than to continue tweaking that disgusting, hopeless blob?
Yes, it would be better to work with a clean sprite.
Are you going to do it?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Not to mention that it still doesn't fix the problem of not looking like the original.

I think working off the lvl2 sprite is the best idea.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Darker_Dreams wrote:

Yes, it would be better to work with a clean sprite.
Are you going to do it?
I'm not planning on it. But I imagine I could frankenstein the belly from the 'phage onto it fairly easily.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Can I also try making a sprite for it?
Check out my sprites!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Darker_Dreams wrote:but I'm not sure what *more* to do
I think that by the time someone gets to ghast, he doesn't have to be at all human-shaped any more. Maybe you could lower his head so it sticks out of his chest, and give him large, spiky shoulders. You could also make it more T-rex-shaped or something.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

That's not very nice :|

The IftU sprite looks too different and underpowered really to be used, DD's sprites look good but do need more variation from the necrophage and the closer arms make it look smaller and less powerful.
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Here is what I edited from the Necrophage:
Is it good?

And for comparison...
The Necrophage.
Check out my sprites!