Portrait sketches

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Rocket Slug

Re: Portrait sketches

Post by Rocket Slug »

My guess is that the helmet originally looked something like the Iron Mauler's. Degradation or some accident of some sort would've caused the bottom to break off.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Sorry about that--IIRC "beaver" is an archaic term for a visor. In other words, what I meant was exactly what Rocket Slug just said ;)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Starting to look real good. The legs are better, but it now strikes me that the trousers are in perfect shape. After a few centuries of rot, certainly they deserve some stains, holes, and other signs of very old age. Maybe go as far as rip them open to show the pelvis underneath.

Also, I like the broken helmet and how it seems to hang loosely on the skeleton's head.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Skizzaltix wrote:Sorry about that--IIRC "beaver" is an archaic term for a visor. In other words, what I meant was exactly what Rocket Slug just said ;)
beaver is indeed what you think it is--just quite archaic.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

ok, then it was my bad - i never stumbeled across the term beaver for that before. but i still think that it looks awkward to have it in front of the eyesockets, i would suggest moving it down a bit.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

kitty wrote:but i still think that it looks awkward to have it in front of the eyesockets
Does it ? The way I read the picture, it gives off a feeling that the skeleton doesn't even notice his "vision" is obstructed. What better to ask of a mindless animated puppet ? 8)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

The Death Knight is imo the least mindless undead--think the lost general, from HttT, I think
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Shading.
Attachments
deathknight400.png
deathknight400.png (168.25 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
deathknight.png
deathknight.png (46.38 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Not only do I love your Death Knight's little details like the dents and rust on the armor, the straps holding it on, but I just noticed what is actually on the head of the weapon. The bone dragon breathing flames is a nice undead touch, this is probably my favorite one you have done so far.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Thank Girgistan for most of those details =D
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Great work--I really love the armor.

Though, I have to agree with LordBob about the trousers--The more I think about it, the weirder it seems that a skeleton with deteriorated chainmail has intact trousers.... It would be nice to have some rips on the cape, too :hmm:
Or was that going to be your next step? ;)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Here's my two cents - to take with a grain of salt if you haven't finished the shading yet.

- The light on his right gauntlet feels weird : the reflection on the forearm plate doesn't work with the flat shading of the hand plate
- The skull and iron surfaces of the helm seem very close : the head will gain volume if you deepen the shadows underneath the visor.
- In the sternum region, the lower golden band of the chest plate seems to float a few inches above the steel. What I can suggest is to combine a lighter tone for the top line of the golden band with more intense light reflection on the steel of that same region.
- The pelvis region should be more clearly part of the background. It might benefit from less saturation or more shadows, especially the bolt rack that currently jumps forward compared to the dark cape behind.
- The chest and shoulder plates have a nice rusted iron texture. In comparison, the leg plates are smooth, almost plastic-like.

Shaping up nicely, can't wait to see the final result. :)
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Looking good, apart from what has already been said I'd recommend a bit of wear and tear for the leather-parts and some depth to the folds of the pants. Unless you've already thought about it, you should probably put a lot more line weight variation, especially thin many of the lines on the axeblade, for example, and darken most of the lines of the bones. Meanwhile, here's a reworked grunt sketch. (have a click on it)
Attachments
rghi.png
For the dark gods!
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

I hardly know anything about drawing so my comments are only my personal feeling.

I really like the Death Knight portrait and it is my favourite portrait ever made for Wesnoth. You have done good work on it. But for some reason the cape doesn't look so good compared to the other parts of the picture. It looks somewhat dull and squarish but maybe shading makes it look better...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Not much done - fiddled based on crit, added a couple more dings and bits of rust, and added a tear in one of the trouser legs to expose some bone.

I call this finished.
Attachments
death-knight_small.png
death-knight_small.png (45.32 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
death-knight.png
death-knight.png (171.44 KiB) Viewed 3683 times