Corvvs' Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits: Merman Hunter

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Corvvs

Re: Gryphon Portrait: Lines Redux

Post by Corvvs »

I seem to keep double posting... but i had an idea.

I could keep this one to maybe put a dwarf on later, and then make a flying one for just plain gryphons. I'll make a sketch and post it soon.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Corvvs

Re: Gryphon Portrait: Lines Redux

Post by Corvvs »

:| triple post. But here's a sketch of a gryphon landing that might be a good "action pose".

EDIT: replaced with a better version.
Attachments
gryphoninaction.png
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Gryphon Portrait: Posing

Post by doofus-01 »

I think the pose is better, it's nice to see the wings.

- I believe it is a little too cute & cuddly though. The feet remind me of a Disney cartoon lion cub. I understand you're trying to block the crotch, but maybe the far leg could be reaching/hanging down more?
gryphoninaction-edit1.png
- The head might also be too big (the sprite's head is big, but their proportions are often exaggerated).

- I don't think it's left arm could be completely hidden, even if it was folded.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

doofus-01 wrote:I think the pose is better, it's nice to see the wings.

- I believe it is a little too cute & cuddly though. The feet remind me of a Disney cartoon lion cub. I understand you're trying to block the crotch, but maybe the far leg could be reaching/hanging down more?

- The head might also be too big (the sprite's head is big, but their proportions are often exaggerated).

- I don't think it's left arm could be completely hidden, even if it was folded.
1. yeah. I wasn't actually trying to block the crotch; I was putting the feet in a bird's landing pose, but yeah, it does serve nicely for that. I might try that with the leg, and add some really wicked looking claws.

2. yes, probably is. It would also make the gryphon look bigger if it had a smaller head.

3. The left arm wasn't added yet. I shoulda mentioned that. It will be visible.

Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and fix all that.

YaymeQ

Post by YaymeQ »

That's really good! I agree with the changes suggested (Most of them anyway) but to me it kinda looks like it's leg is coming out of it's armpit ... maybe the shading/coloring will change that though. Or maybe when you add the other arm it'll change ... we'll see!
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

Wings are to small.
afaik portraits don't use dynamic poses, becaus they have to look good in every possible dialog-window.
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I believe animal/monster portraits are different, they can be dynamic and show the whole body, feet and all.

Not sure where that was stated, I think it may have been in the original troll whelp thread that got lost in the crash.
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

mameluke wrote:Wings are to small.
I don't think they are. They're folded over so they look shorter.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Update. Lots of papers over the weekend, so probably not another for a while.

I fixed the arm a bit, but did not add the other one yet. The leg is changed, the wings are bigger and the head is smaller.
Attachments
gryphoninaction.png

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

All body parts now present! And the wings should be in better perspective now. Sorry for the lack of updates- I've been swamped in schoolwork.

Next up- a bit of anatomy work on his lower half, then feathers, scales, claws, etc.
Attachments
gryphoninaction.png

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Triple again. :|

Ignoring the above, I started some shading. Look ok? Maybe a bit too shiny?
Attachments
gryphoninactionshaded1.png

woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Oooh... I think it's good, but maybe a bit too short for a gryphon... :hmm:
Check out my sprites!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Possibly, or the speculars are just placed wrong. Its left eye doesn't seem to be in line with the rest of the head, though. I can see it now that you've started colouring it.
For the dark gods!
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks for the feedback. I think the height is alright- I have always thought of gryphons as a bit stocky. I fiddled around with the shading a bit, though.
Attachments
gryphoninactionshaded1.png

Drake General

Post by Drake General »

I see some problems with how I've always imagined a gryphon.
Rex Umbrarum wrote:
mameluke wrote:Wings are to small.
I don't think they are. They're folded over so they look shorter.
I think they're better, but possible still too short. gryphons had a large wingspan.
Corvvs wrote:All body parts now present! And the wings should be in better perspective now.

Next up- a bit of anatomy work on his lower half, then feathers, scales, claws, etc.
I still have problems with it here, the forelegs look like they're halfway down it's body. When I looked at an earlier image, it looks more like you attached it more human-like than a four-legged creature.When you started shading it, I couldn't tell what was the head, and what wasn't, until I looked at a image before. The coloring is good though, even if I've always thought of them a lighter color. I've also seen some pictures with them a lighter color, and have spotted bellies(?).

If somebody disagrees with me, do so. It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing, and I'm definitely not a master.
I don't rock the world.
How can I rock the world if I don't understand all of it?