Icons to define a units traits and resistances

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mirion147

Re: Icons to define a units traits and resistances

Post by Mirion147 »

Why not leave the images the same and just color the text as it is now (I think :hmm: )
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

thespaceinvader wrote:Not even UMC - the Witness line in the Hammer of Thursagan has leadership a level above the unit level.
But in that case the name ability is not 'leadership', but something else with a different name.
IIn the gameplay design there is no 'leadership 1', 'leadership 2', .. ect... There is only one 'leadership' ability.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Steinhauser

Post by Steinhauser »

Don't forget fearless as a trait.

Also, aren't there already slow and poisoned icons?
Mica

Post by Mica »

Yes but we'd prefer it to be consistent styles.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Steinhauser

Post by Steinhauser »

I suppose; still, the snail and skull were easier to recognize than the hourglass and...spider?
cretin

Post by cretin »

but in this case there is a scull for undead so it cant be used for poisioned anylonger
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, the spider is a bit hard to discern. I thought it was an upward-looking eye or a volcano until someone mentioned spider. But. the rest are truly superb. I really hope this gets implemented.
cretin

Post by cretin »

though as i think about it when i first played wesnoth i didnt know the green skull was a poison icon. i think that eventually if the spider is used it would be connected to poison. its just a matter of getting used to seeing it represent that attribute.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

To clarify, I'm not saying the spider isn't a good idea for an icon. I just think the specific representation of it could look more like a spider.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I agree. I originally thought the spider was a crab and was quite confused as to what trait that would represent. :?
Mica

Post by Mica »

The spider took me a second, and the hourglass for slow made me go "Ohhh, that's a neat idea" XD
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Melon

Post by Melon »

To tell you the truth I actually made the poisoned and slowed icons as an accident. As I was making icons for all the abilities, I unintentionally made three icons for the poison, slow and backstab weapon powers. Since I was a little reluctant to just go ahead and throw them all out I decided to try to recycle them into condition icons.
Steinhauser

Post by Steinhauser »

Article 1: A different take on the spider, if people like the spider idea. I tried to make it easily identifiable (standard "spider" pose). I also hilighted the fangs, and here's why: spiders are also associated with webs, which is associated with slow. That's the reason I think the spider's not the best representative, since poison and slow occupy the same "status" area. But if the community likes it, go for it.

Article 2: A scorpion's stinger, more intuitively equated with poison. I don't know if it's easy to tell what it is, though.

Article 3: The universal symbol for poison, the skull and crossbones. I think it differs enough from the undead skull and is instantly recognizeable enough to warrant its use. Maybe?

Article 4: Fearless? I can't think of any lawful fearless units, but if they exist this may not be accurate.
Attachments
poisoned-fearless.png
poisoned-fearless.png (773 Bytes) Viewed 5370 times
Melon

Post by Melon »

Steinhauser wrote:Article 1: A different take on the spider, if people like the spider idea. I tried to make it easily identifiable (standard "spider" pose). I also hilighted the fangs, and here's why: spiders are also associated with webs, which is associated with slow. That's the reason I think the spider's not the best representative, since poison and slow occupy the same "status" area. But if the community likes it, go for it.

Article 2: A scorpion's stinger, more intuitively equated with poison. I don't know if it's easy to tell what it is, though.

Article 3: The universal symbol for poison, the skull and crossbones. I think it differs enough from the undead skull and is instantly recognizeable enough to warrant its use. Maybe?

Article 4: Fearless? I can't think of any lawful fearless units, but if they exist this may not be accurate.
Wow, those are pretty cool Steinhauser. I didn't want to use a skull for poison mainly because I'm using it for all the undead related icons. Fearless in my opinion however should be more global. While there may not be any lawful fearless creatures at this time, there may still be some made in the future.
Attachments
fearless.png
fearless.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
Steinhauser

Post by Steinhauser »

That second fearless icon captures it perfectly.

Another poison idea: A little sick guy
Attachments
yugh.png
yugh.png (364 Bytes) Viewed 5355 times