Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Agreed.

If Fmunoz or Dave or Cedric could take a look at this and make a decision, that would be greatly appreciated.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

As I said some minor touchups needs to be done to Li'sar and delfador (and maybe others) to give them their character back, before they go into the game.

But independent of that, I'm not sure if the developers support these portraits, and I haven't heard anything from pickslide in the last few weeks so he may have left the forums. Which would be too bad, becuase I liked his artwork, especially his HttT story artwork.

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

quartex wrote:As I said some minor touchups needs to be done to Li'sar and delfador (and maybe others) to give them their character back, before they go into the game.
Is that an official Wesnoth position or just your opinion? (If it's the latter, then it's a bit pretentious for you to state "before they go into the game".)

Personally, I think the latest versions were better and have more character. But that's just my opinion, and the opinions that count are those of Fmunoz, Dave, Cedric, and/or another dev (such as you, quartex, if you have the authority).

On Pickslide currently not being very visible in the forums, he kindly provided zips of all his artwork in an editable format, so that's not really a limitting factor unless nobody feels that they could live up to his style.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I do not in any way represent the official opinion around here.

It's just my personal feeling that in the last revision of Li'sar and Delfador, something got lost in translation. As I have stated several posts previous, the newer images look more plastic and fake, and don't look quite right.

It's not that this change must be made, IMO, before the images are included, but instead that I hope that the units would be polished up, before, say v1.0. Otherwise while the portraits would be technically a lot more impressive, they would lose some of the humanity of the current portraits.

cedric

Post by cedric »

turin wrote:If Fmunoz or Dave or Cedric could take a look at this and make a decision, that would be greatly appreciated.
As already expressed, while very well drawn, I'm not fond at all of this style. Thus do not expect anything on my side. It will be up to fmunoz to decide if he wants to dump his own portraits in favor of these.

--
Cedric

Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

I'm still around! Yeah, I dissappeared for a while. Family vacation to Canada for a week, and then I did something really stupid. I converted to Redhat Fedora Core 2 from XP. Turns out, I don't know enough about Linux to get my wireless card working...no internet! Good thing I backed *everything* up. So back to Windows now, at 3 am. I was so excited I got internet, I came right here.

Now, I drew 2 more Konrad portraits, a Lord and a Youth...I think the lineart is really nice looking, but my last attempt at coloring was pretty unpopular...I had been trying to work on that but I was never really happy yet. I'll try to finish eventually...seems I've fallen into that trap where I've run out of time. School for me starts on the 20th, and EE doesn't leave me as much free time as I like for hobbies, and I've got a lot of hobbies. I doubt anyone will miss me much though, the admins don't seem terribly thrilled about these portraits.

I suppose after I get these standard portraits done, I'll be practiced enough to do some stuff for other campaigns...

Well, here are the new Konrads I guess...

The youth, I tried to avoid making him look plastic and shiny, but now he might be a little too dark...

The Lord is only flatted, no lights on him yet. Those are basically the shadow colors.

Is the coloring on the youth good? maybe a little brighter? I'll try to tweak the other line arts to give back the "character" of the characters before I have to give up my life to school :P.

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

That's not a Youth, that's a Fighter. Youths have wooden swords.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Elvish Pillager wrote:That's not a Youth, that's a Fighter. Youths have wooden swords.
I suppose you think you're funny or something... Konrad doesn't have a wooden sword at any point in the game other than perhaps the tutorial.

Or is he going to conquer his enemies with a wooden toy?

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the youth unit is the lvl0 konrad, and it is only seen in the tutorial...

and yes, it has a wooden sword

http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi

telex4

Post by telex4 »

Pickslide wrote:I doubt anyone will miss me much though, the admins don't seem terribly thrilled about these portraits.

Is the coloring on the youth good? maybe a little brighter? I'll try to tweak the other line arts to give back the "character" of the characters before I have to give up my life to school :P.
I'll certainly miss you and your work... your portraits are far better than the current ones, and with a little work on the colouring they'd be perfect.

And yes, I'd try making the background hues a little lighter for the youth, and then doing some similar shading work on all the other characters where you currently have flat colouring.

miyo

Post by miyo »

Once again,

feel free to provide alternate graphics to Wesnoth... people who want to use them will have to work to create modpack or something which allows them and others easily to use alternate graphics. You are even free to fork the game...

- Miyo

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

Likewise, I like pickslide's work better. However, I believe I can personally improve pickslide's work - he has excellent poses and proportions to his units - something I have always lacked in, but falls short in the inking/coloring process.

I believe I might be the most qualified person here to work on that. Soon as I see him on AIM, I'll try and get the line art.

Or, worst case scenario, I'll just print and trace it.

yeti

Post by yeti »

a dwarf in Plunging into Darkness wrote:"You? Ha ha! This boy that stands before me is the king of Wesnoth? Ha ha! I "
"haven't had such a laugh in a long time. And who are you, old man?"
The old portrait fits. The new ones don't.

Konrad is a weeping (Elves Besieged) dependent (Bay of Pearls) young lad, that can't speak fo himself (Plunging into Darkness) and always asks silly questions about the most basic facts (all scenarios).

The old portrait fits. The new ones don't.

OK, I was exaggerating a bit. But yet Konrad is more a boy than a warrior and should be portraited so [IMHO].

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Jetryl wrote:I believe I might be the most qualified person here to work on that. Soon as I see him on AIM, I'll try and get the line art.
Um, he posted a link to a zip containing it all earlier in the thread.