Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
mesilliac
Developer

New grassland flowers

Post by mesilliac »

I've started working on a replacement for the current grassland flowers.

But after staring at these for too long it all looks the same!

Is this a good concept? Please note that these are only the full-tile variations, so there are no transitions or single-hex variations, the ones on the single hexes are to show the four different variations I have now.

I made a bunch of pixel-flower brushes for The GIMP, so I can just churn these out :D.
Attachments
flower-field
flower-field
flowers-lq.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: New grassland flowers

Post by Espreon »

Hmmm I think they are very nice, maybe add different flowers to a tile as wildflowers don't grow with one specie in its own territory... Maybe create flower tiles for different climates...
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

You've done the flowers as if they were on a surface parallel to the screen plane.
Flat terrains should instead be done as if they were on a surface rotated about 45% back from the screen plane. I.E. a square laid down on the ground would be twice as many pixels wide as it is tall.

Also the flowers are probably too large and distinct, casting too strong shadows. Try viewing with other well, established terrains.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Eleazar, if you compare to our mushroom terrains, theyre not out of scale. but i do think they should fill lesser % of the hex.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on March 9th, 2008, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I always thought the mushrooms were giant - it's called mushroom grove, after all, and a bunch of regular-sized mushrooms strike me as not enough to really affect someone's performance when standing amongst them...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

thespaceinvader wrote:I always thought the mushrooms were giant...
Correct.

Wesnoth graphics are a jumble of incongruous scales artfully combined so that it visually works (more or less). That's why i recommended comparing the WIP graphics to with multiple terrains. Dropping some unit graphics in place is also good. Terrain shouldn't upstage the units.

If you happened to only compare them to (for instance) mushrooms, and made the mistake of thinking they were normal sized mushrooms, it would lead you to make flowers that did not fit in scale with Wesnoth.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Eleazar wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote: If you happened to only compare them to (for instance) mushrooms, and made the mistake of thinking they were normal sized mushrooms, it would lead you to make flowers that did not fit in scale with Wesnoth.
Unless of course giant flower 'forests' become mainline. :D
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

but then they'd need to be aliases of forests rather than grassland, or maybe even their own terrain ;)
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

All units with the "allergic" trait would become 'sneezing' ducks in a flower field :eng:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Neoskel wrote:Unless of course giant flower 'forests' become mainline. :D
Actually some flowers do get pretty huge:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ecking07/Ho ... 5608022802

Generally they'd have bigger stems than those drawn though.

I'm of two minds - abnormally large flowers would emphasise the feel that Wesnoth is not Earth. I don't think they should be a new terrain type - even large flowers wouldn't significantly impede progress.

P.S. There are lots of Google Image matches for "giant flower" but most of them have nothing else in shot so you can judge the size. Grr.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

though most huge flowers are on soft plants rather than trees, making them impede movement about as much as (or less than) farmland would, however, it would definitely impede your view of things. We can't make visibility different from movement in the current engine though, and I'm not sure how that should work on defence.
cretin

Post by cretin »

sunflower is an example of a very big flower. it is a flower right?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Yes, and though it may obstruct your view, you can probably walk right through it.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

cretin wrote:sunflower is an example of a very big flower. it is a flower right?
yes.
best example I could find;
http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/6/0/l601033251.jpg
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -