Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
musketaquid
Art Contributor

cave path

Post by musketaquid »

Someone mentioned a cave path in the chasm bridge thread 8)
Here is an attempt of it. This one needs a bit polishing, but i just wanted to ask if such a path make sense at all? I think the lighter bridge fits better then the dark one.
Attachments
cavepath.jpg
cavepath.jpg (163.76 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The directionality of it looks a little odd IMO - it would be better if it was more granular, matching the texture of the middle of the bridge, rather than having horizontal striations - more of a path worn into the rock by the constant tread of feet rather than a different sort of rock as it appears now. Good work, though. This is needed, i think =).
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:The directionality of it looks a little odd IMO - it would be better if it was more granular, matching the texture of the middle of the bridge, rather than having horizontal striations - more of a path worn into the rock by the constant tread of feet rather than a different sort of rock as it appears now. Good work, though. This is needed, i think =).
^ Basically exactly what he said.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

IMHO the path looks a tad too wide in comparison with the chasm bridge
In comparison with other 'path' tiles it's probably about the same size

So I don't know what would be good or bad
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Re: cave path

Post by musketaquid »

Made it better this time, didn't i? If this path deserves one or two variations, i'll go for them.

P.S.:You'll have to click on the image, to see it in full size.
Attachments
cavepath.jpg
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm afraid that looks way too similar to normal cave, especially considering it has a totally different movetype.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Perhaps some sparkles of dirt road would make it better.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

sapient wrote:I'm afraid that looks way too similar to normal cave
But i tried to make it look like spaceinvader said.
spaceinvader wrote:more of a path worn into the rock by the constant tread of feet
Attachments
Some sparkles of dirt added quickly just to see how it will look.
Some sparkles of dirt added quickly just to see how it will look.
Last edited by musketaquid on March 13th, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I'll agree that it can be difficult to seperate from the surrounding terrian in places. I don't think adding "dirt" is, neccessarilly, the way to go- though it wouldn't be the first time I've been proven wrong...

Lightning it some might work (more towards the shade of the bridge than the surrounding ground). Right now it seems to be closer in color to the "rough" than to the bridge.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Making it lighter (roughly to the level of the side of the bridge that is bright) would probably be enough to distinguish it IMO. I'm not sure the patches of dirt are good, though - maybe as a transition from the outside track (dirt being tracked in from outside onto the stone floor), but they look too regular as they are.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Making it lighter (roughly to the level of the side of the bridge that is bright) would probably be enough to distinguish it IMO. I'm not sure the patches of dirt are good, though - maybe as a transition from the outside track (dirt being tracked in from outside onto the stone floor), but they look too regular as they are.
Those patches of dirt are fine, though I agree the terrain could stand to be lightened, slightly. Overall this is looking good, though.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Wouldn't a good way to make it stand out from the normal cave floor be to make it look like someone built it - a bit like the cobblestone road and/or a bit like the dwarvish castle floor, just in a somewhat more subtle way.

EDIT: Like something vaguely resembling this (I don't need to point out that this particular image sucks):
Attachments
cave-road-sketch.png
cave-road-sketch.png (57.36 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Mm, i was wondering about something like flagstones myself, but it seems a little odd that they'd bother - you lay a floor primarily to make a flat, even walking surface, secondarily for decoration. Wesnoth's cave dwellers are practical types, i can't see them bothering to lay a floor when they don't need to.

Maybe way markers down each side of the road? Except that would make the road direction and mean it would need three different images instead of one tile. Or rails and the occasional mine cart, though that might be a bit clichéd.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

rails/mine carts are not be a bad idea... but seem like a seperate item/discussion.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Here is what i've done over night. Brighter and with dirt blots and water puddles. Hope you'll like it. I do :) so i made up a package with the png files.
Attachments
cavepath.jpg
cave-path.zip
cave-path png's zipped
(54.78 KiB) Downloaded 234 times