Desert Elves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Karo wrote:Perhaps you should have it stick out to the side, to act as a counter balance the to swinging sword.
Yup sounds like a good idea. Also provide a mid-frame if possible, so it looks like he's really moving and not just shape-shifting in between to the poses. :p

In regard with his shoulder looking bad, maybe you can add some grass/desert/.. tiles as a few layers in the GIMP so you can check how it would look in-game. (Enough contrast, semi-transparent pixels etc.)
(If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll be glad to explain)

And IMO you need to rotate his torso slightly, it looks a little bit painful for his lower back right now... :P

Apart from that, it looks real nice!
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Karo wrote:Perhaps you should have it stick out to the side, to act as a counter balance the to swinging sword.
I'll do it, but can someone please post an idea of how his arm should stick out? It certainly would help.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

My best advice would be to play the motion out yourself and see what your arm does when you do it - it's easier and more intuitive than explaining.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Federalist marshal wrote:I'll do it, but can someone please post an idea of how his arm should stick out? It certainly would help.
:twisted: But, what's the fun in giving comments when their meanings are crystal clear :twisted:

just kidding, I was imagining some sort of fencing pose, with the upper arm slightly raised. Thespaceinvader's suggestion brought me to the same conclusion :D

grtz
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I've made another attack frame to go before the current one, and made a defend frame as well.

Please note that I originally did modify the right arm to swing out a bit, but after adding the frame that precedes it I felt the modification didn't animate very well with the preceding frame so I reverted back to the original stance.

EDIT: Ugh! The frames got distorted again!
Attachments
DesertFighter-attack.png
DesertFighter-attack.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
DesertFighter-attack-.5.png
DesertFighter-attack-.5.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
DesertFighter-defend.png
DesertFighter-defend.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

You should separate a bit the swordless arm from the body, as already stated, if not only because when you do a slash, your torso rotates slighty (unless its an unit with paralysis on his arm, tought that's not the case here)

I suggest to check other sword wielding units in the game to get the motion right if you desire, because what I'm seeing is an imbalance on the attack with the sword that wouldn't give it enough power, since it looks like the unit is going to launch an uppercut with his right hand.

Or at least try to invert his right forearm from left to right (even if it isn't the proper way to do it), it will make the unit separate the arm from the body that its stated as wrong on our minds (lack of balance) and try to work from there.

As far as what would I try to place the offending arm lowering the hand more near where the leg bends (knee?) since it looks more natural.

Don't have more ideas, tought.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Is this better?
Attachments
DesertFighter-attack.png
DesertFighter-attack.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

The two ranged frames. A bit distorted again by my post, but the strengths and flaws should still be visible. Comments and criticism appreciated as always.
Attachments
DesertFighter-ranged-2.png
DesertFighter-ranged-2.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
DesertFighter-ranged-1.png
DesertFighter-ranged-1.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Unless he's got oven mitts for hands, the second ranged frame looks off.

fingers should go around the bow, and thumbs are always inwards and not the same width as the palm...

Otherwise good.
Ebob

Re: Fighter Sword

Post by Ebob »

I just noticed, this. The fighter (for some reason) has a dark spot in the back of the sword kinda like this: green=sword, dark red=spot

You should see my staff!
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Changed the second ranged frame. Needs some polishing, but after that I will assume that my work on the fighter is done, and if so I'll get to work on the archer.
Attachments
DesertFighter-ranged-2.png
DesertFighter-ranged-2.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Federalist marshal wrote:I contacted Mist on whether I should consider the Desert Fighter complete. He says that I need to contact you to confirm whether I can consider it complete or not.
Sure. Go ahead and tackle the other units.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I've completed the first version of the Desert Archer. I didn't put too much effort into making him; it's more of a piece of concept art. Comments, criticism, and ideas will be appreciated.
Attachments
DesertArcher.png
DesertArcher.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Federalist marshal wrote:I've completed the first version of the Desert Archer. I didn't put too much effort into making him; it's more of a piece of concept art. Comments, criticism, and ideas will be appreciated.
Well its a good start but I can't really think of anything to alter (not insisting its complete but rather can't think of any ideas).
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The torso seems a little short to me, and the curves and muscles of the sword-arm are not very well-defined - it looks more like one smooth curve than like an arm with an elbow and a wrist. That aside, this is nicely done. The sword in particular looks good. I like the inverse-curve design.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.