Desert Elves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Karo wrote:Hm... the default leg position was better. Now it seems like he's cowering behind his sword, rather than being battle-ready. Kind of looks pigeon-toed, too. The entire lower body is a bit blurry, too.

Also... can't really see what his free arm is doing. It seems like it's being kept near the body as though to prepare a punch or simply to act as a last-ditch shield for the torso.
Federalist marshal wrote:I removed the shield and gave him a cloak, or at least I tried.
What I plan to do next:
-Give him some tattoos (after removing bandana)
-Tan his skin
The cloak isn't too apparent. In fact, it looks like he's simply wearing a robe, with no cloak at all.

I'm not sure how well tattoos would show up. At most they would be three pixels or so, and it might just end up screwing up the face instead.
Really I liked the previous version better as well, but I'm simply trying to fit what Mist wants the fighter to look like. Evidently that didn't turn out too well.
As for the blurring, it seems that GIMP tends to do that whenever I try to resize things. So how do I prevent that?
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

I want the sprites to be consistent ith pickslides art, nothing more nothing less. You can, actualy you should, use the existing art for UtBS as a reference to creating sprites. If you need a sprite for reference use Kalehs sprite. I don't mind you basing on core elves, but the whole aim of this excersise is to make desert ones both distinct and consistent with campaign art.

I agree that his clothes look more like a robe than a cloak, but that's probably because you left the armor on the torso.

If you remove the armor you will have enough space for a tatoo and you should have easier time shaping the cloak. I agree that tatoo on face will look bad, tatoo on torso should not.

You can experiment with different body position (eg. halfcrouch) and weapon holding technique (eg both handed).

You can give him a short reflexive bow to that free hand.

Otherwise it's looking good.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Federalist marshal wrote:As for the blurring, it seems that GIMP tends to do that whenever I try to resize things. So how do I prevent that?
When you resize, make sure that Interpolation is set to "none". If you can't see the "Interpolation" setting you may need to use "Dialogs->Tool Options" in the menu first.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

This one is essentially a rough draft; if I've got the overall concept right this time, I'll give it the refinements it obviously needs.
Attachments
DesertFighter9.png
DesertFighter9.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Yes, this is the direction I'd like you to follow. You got it allmost spot on this time. If you manage to make the rest of them in this style it'd be great work.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The shadow looks a bit odd, but the unit design is awesome.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Animating it will be a real challenge - all that loose cloth *shudder*

Should be most educational, though =D

What's the little grey/black bit under his free hand?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

thespaceinvader wrote: What's the little grey/black bit under his free hand?
Bit of rag? The bottom half loooks like its taken from the Silver Mage, maybe Marshal just forgot to re-colour that little but, or that he thought it better with it grey.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

It might look nice tced
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Neoskel wrote:It might look nice tced
It's already TCed, the band on his head and mask are TC, like the belt and the bottom pink line.

I need to say that the base frame its looking very nice, and that I think its better that you get the base frames of the units before start animating them. (unless do you really want to get something fully completed)

Also, remember that you will need the female variation too, but don't get discouraged and keep them going down one by one. Good work!
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

There isn't a female fighter variant...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

thespaceinvader wrote:Animating it will be a real challenge - all that loose cloth *shudder*
It doesn't intimidate me, so long as I only have to do one attack frame and one defend frame.
Quietus wrote:Bit of rag? The bottom half loooks like its taken from the Silver Mage, maybe Marshal just forgot to re-colour that little but, or that he thought it better with it grey.
Yeah, it's taken from the Silver mage. I should probably remove that in the final product.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

thespaceinvader wrote:There isn't a female fighter variant...
I was talking in general, there were bola warriors (male and female) and also archers (male & female), and those would probably need to be done.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Karo

Post by Karo »

Inspired by this thread, I also decided to try my hand at the desert elves, and also using the elvish fighter as the base. This is my attempt at the hunter, though it's quite a different style than Federalist Marshal's.

He's to wield a shorter version of Kaleh's sword, pointed towards the ground in front of his right foot. And his bolas are yet to be colored.
Attachments
hunter.png
hunter.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Here's the improved version of the previous sprite. Only thing problem I can pinpoint on it right now is that I probably shouldn't have used the silver mage for reference.
Attachments
DesertFighter10.png
DesertFighter10.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 3685 times