Chasm Bridge

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

If there are many bridges on a few hexes, then they look a bit to bright indeed. I'll trie to change that.

And for multitile-bridges, i don't know how this should work. If you build the bridge over three tiles, you can not use theses sprites for the outside tiles, they have to be different, because the angle would be different. Our Water bridges are flat, and these here are bowed so you will get in troubble if you build the bow over more the one tile. If anybody knows how i should do it (that means how many sprites do we need for multitile-bridges), please let me know.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

For multitile i would suggest doing a single tile going up onto the bridge from each direction and a flat tile facing each direction, which you can then tile together using the former to go up and down and the latter to do as many sections of flat as you want. You won't get the artistic effect of a nice sweeping curve right across, but it's an elegant solution from a tiling PoV i think.

Is anyone else thinking 'you SHALL NOT PASS!' with these bridges, or is it just me? =P

Nice work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Kestenvarn wrote:I also found that unless you want stone bridges to hang in the air while zigzagging, the normal type of bridge isn't going to cut it - need a full out new tile with chasm transitions so you can add supports for the bridge descending into the darkness.
A possible reference for this might be the arcane sanctuary from Diablo II...
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

@Kestenvarn
Do you mean they should not hang in the air, like this? (this is a quick edit, only for demonstration)
Attachments
chasm-bridge.png
chasm-bridge.png (71.35 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

musketaquid wrote:@Kestenvarn
Do you mean they should not hang in the air, like this? (this is a quick edit, only for demonstration)
No, we mean that, like a suspended bridge, it would need "piles" to support it anyplace where it turned. Support pillars at any place where the bridge changes direction.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Neoskel wrote:Whoa, very nice. A slightly different gray than the cave floor though. May or may not be a problem.
Option b: create a "road" hex for normal cave floor.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

I have changed the highlights and the colors to fit better with the ground tile. And also changed the north transitions a bit.
Attachments
chasm-stone-lave-bridge.zip
(139.2 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
chasm-bridge.png
chasm-bridge.png (471.2 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
JW

Post by JW »

Shadow Master wrote:
musketaquid wrote:Image
My gosh, I'd love it if our current water bridges were like that. <3
The graphics look great, and I was wondering if anything was to come of this lovely design?
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I don't want to be a nitpicker here, but I think the north bridge needs more perspective. Now it is looking too flat in comparison with the other bridges.

I've tried to darken the part that should be darkened according to the lower-right light source (don't know if that's correct?) Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

However I think the cracks in the darkened part should also be squezed a little closer together.

In general this is very nice work, I really love it!!
Attachments
Left is darkened, right from http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=274271#274271
Left is darkened, right from http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=274271#274271
chasm_stone_bridge_set_102.png (84.54 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Image[/quote]
Oh great, I'm dumping everything for an Indiana Jones campaign. :P Just kidding.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Karo

Post by Karo »

Mathijs wrote:I don't want to be a nitpicker here, but I think the north bridge needs more perspective. Now it is looking too flat in comparison with the other bridges.

I've tried to darken the part that should be darkened according to the lower-right light source (don't know if that's correct?) Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

However I think the cracks in the darkened part should also be squezed a little closer together.

In general this is very nice work, I really love it!!
You made it a bit too dark. The bridge is now darker than the surrounding cave floor and chasm walls, and causes the bridge to look sunken, rather than raised. I'm not exactly sure that's the part that should be shadowed, anyhow.
DDR

Post by DDR »

If there is a bridge made, can there be... a fallen bridge?
:)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

One issue with the chasm bridge: if the water bridge can count as grassland, water, why not have the chasm bridge count as cave, chasm? A few units (such as drakes and certain other fliers) have better defense in chasm than cave, and it would make sense.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Aethaeryn wrote:One issue with the chasm bridge: if the water bridge can count as grassland, water, why not have the chasm bridge count as cave, chasm? A few units (such as drakes and certain other fliers) have better defense in chasm than cave, and it would make sense.
I already made that change a day or two back, will be in the next release.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Thumbs up guys. This looks great.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity