Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Chasm Bridge

Post by musketaquid »

Here is what i have done until now. It is the north bridge, the others north-east and north-west need still to be done.
My attempt is, to give it a natural look in the colors of the chasm. Schould i go further with this concept?
Attachments
chasm-bridge.zip
Transparent png's
(11.7 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
chasm-bridge-background.png
chasm-bridge-background.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 9047 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Chasm Bridge

Post by Iris »

musketaquid wrote:Here is what i have done until now. It is the north bridge, the others north-east and north-west need still to be done.
My attempt is, to give it a natural look in the colors of the chasm. Schould i go further with this concept?
Not sure if mainline experts like it (I'm not one of them to judge), but if they don't I'll be happy to put this in my campaign! :D
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I like the concept, I was thinking about chasm/lava bridges the other day. Would make cave maps more interesting.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Aethaeryn wrote:I like the concept, I was thinking about chasm/lava bridges the other day. Would make cave maps more interesting.
Do you mean just visually? Since it doesn't seem like chasm/lava bridge would be any different from cave gameplay-wise...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Yes! - this is awesome I really hope it gets in mainline. :)
Turin wrote:Do you mean just visually? Since it doesn't seem like chasm/lava bridge would be any different from cave gameplay-wise...
Even if it is just visually, it would still be pretty awesome. For me, a lot of the map is just the visual element. If it doesn't look good, I scrap it. I often reposition elvish villages to get the new ones, and change the layout of the map so that I can make the mountains look exactly as I want. I haven't been using chasm a lot because, without a chasm bridge, there's no aesthetically pleasing way of crossing a chasm that would make sense.
Last edited by Urs on December 5th, 2007, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

turin wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:I like the concept, I was thinking about chasm/lava bridges the other day. Would make cave maps more interesting.
Do you mean just visually? Since it doesn't seem like chasm/lava bridge would be any different from cave gameplay-wise...
Yes. Especially with lava chasm - you can't have a "river" of lava real-looking, it just looks like two separate pits. On a related note, lava to lava chasm transitions don't look right, imo the lava should "flow" down like a "lavafall"
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Nice, I'll use this in my campaign if I may :)
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

I like the concept, I was thinking about chasm/lava bridges the other day. Would make cave maps more interesting.
Well, this bridge was only made for chasm, didn't even thought that lava needs one too. And if such a bridge is realistic, i think it has to be drawn half molten, or, am i wrong? Because heat soars.

I will focus on the two other missing directions of the chasm bridge for now.
And if the set is once complete, i'll see, if it reached mainline or not.

Anybody feel free to use it in your campaigns. :D
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

Not at all. It would be warm, but no reason it should be hot enough to melt. So it seems fine from the plausibility viewpoint to have a rock bridge over a lava in a chasm. 8)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

musketaquid wrote:
Well, this bridge was only made for chasm, didn't even thought that lava needs one too. And if such a bridge is realistic, i think it has to be drawn half molten, or, am i wrong? Because heat soars.

I will focus on the two other missing directions of the chasm bridge for now.
And if the set is once complete, i'll see, if it reached mainline or not.

Anybody feel free to use it in your campaigns. :D
Basically, it would just be the chasm bridge, but with reddish highlighting on the underside, reflecting the red light emanating from the lava.

Whether it would technically be realistic or not for a stone bridge to be hanging above lava, it would be "visually cool", and has been used in different fantasy imagery (c.f. LotR) often enough that most people's minds sit well with the concept.

Regarding these images, they look great. Carry on with your intent to make the other directions, and afterwards, the lava images. Mog will probably need to look at how these would be committed/what the WML would be (if you don't already know how to do so).
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Mog will probably need to look at how these would be committed/what the WML would be (if you don't already know how to do so).
I really got problems with the WML stuff. That would be nice if someone else does this. The chasm transistions are a mess to me, and i'm not abel to build a chasm tile out of these by myself, so if i want a chasm background, i have to copy it from an editors screenshot :(

If the lava needs a bridge too, it must be of stone. So i think i will use this stone bridge for lava and my new wooden bridge for the chasm. Would that be ok?
Attachments
chasm-wood-bridge.zip
Transparent png's
(13.13 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
chasm-wood-bridge.png
chasm-wood-bridge.png (35.45 KiB) Viewed 8688 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

musketaquid wrote:If the lava needs a bridge too, it must be of stone.
not really, its very common to have wooden bridges over lava in all kinds of movies and games and stuff. (Shrek and a simpsons episode and some cheap action movie named "Congo" come to mind instantly).

i like it.
DDR

Post by DDR »

I like the bridges! :D
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Actually, I think it would make more sense for all of the bridges to be made of stone. Because it usually going to be dwarves who built the bridges, and usually they don't have a lot of wood at hand, and they're better stone and metal workers anyway.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I'm sure there will be times the wooden bridge is useful, though. Don't the northerners sometimes live in caves?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down