Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

couple of comments...

The coulors are a tiny bit too saturated/bright compared to other mainline units...

he has a hand in his quiver drawing an arrow... this is not a good base frame pose... the base frame should be a pose of the unit at rest.

this would be a great first frame for a range attack, though
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Khris

Post by Khris »

Ah, good point. I suppose the pose not being in a resting state was what spaceinvader was referring to. My mistake. :oops:

And, since you're the second to mention colors, I tried to tone it down a bit and am actually fairly satisfied with the desaturation. Check it out:
Attachments
ranger.png
ranger.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

better, but still a tad too bright.

this guy is trying to hide in the forest, he should look for deep green/brown cloaks...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

He looks like he's falling over forwards. His legs aren't underneath his torso. And they're also a little too short.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Khris

Post by Khris »

Fixed... I think.

I didn't exactly understand the "not under torso" comment, though.

Oh, and I accidentally made the bow longer when I was editing. Whoops.
Attachments
ranger.png
ranger.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

It looks in general very good, only a thing I don't like. I think the bow is too exaggerated, his bow must be a little more rustic and small, because he is only an Outlaw, he have learned to use the bow in an empiric way, he doesn't have "studied the arts of the bow".

And looking to the Sharpshooter than I think it is the best archer in Wesnoth, it gives me the impression than this Ranger haves a more elaborated bow than the Sharpshooter.

In abstract, you have elaborated a good bow, but I think it is too good to be for a Ranger. :P

Well, thats only my opinion. :)

EDIT: I was talking about the sprite 4 post ago, in the last one I think the bow is now bad drawn on the bottom, something doesn't fit.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Khris

Post by Khris »

Haha, you're probably right. I changed it at some point during an editing attempt while looking at some of the other high archer ranks and thought it might be a likely thing, but I guess an outlaw would be using some very bare equipment instead of something kinda fancy.

EDIT: Yeah. Like I said in the post, I accidentally messed up the bottom of the bow while editing. It'll be fixed for the next one I update with.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Personally, i think the sprite zookeeper showed us looks more appropriate to wesnoth in terms of style and would prefer if someone worked on animating that instead of re-doing it in a different style.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think part of the problem with the legs is that they're not outlined very well, if at all. This makes them look narrower than they actually are, which in turn makes them look like they go back away from camera. They're also too widely spread, and still not long enough.

What neoskel said, really. Your sprite's reasonable, but not as good as the one zookeeper posted. I'd personally prefer to see that one animated, than this one.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JW

Post by JW »

The sprite is looking pretty good. I can only parrot other's comments concerning some of the minor issues: i.e. the bow comments. After desaturating the color and adding the outline to the cape, it looks a lot better.
Khris

Post by Khris »

I think I'll hold off on this one and wait until I get a final word on its possible status. Seems like the opinions are split on exactly how 'Wesnoth' it is.

I personally don't want to animate the one posted by zookeeper because it just wouldn't feel right knowing that I'm animating something I personally don't think is as good as it could be. It's voluntary work, after all. I think I'll cut down on what I'm doing and simply work on animating units I think already look good.

Hopefully, though, the style of animating I've got going will work more to a majority taste? :lol:
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

In this "Wesnoth style" units are made to stand out with outlines. Your ranger had absolutely no outlines and it kinda had to be bright in order to stand out from the background I guess.

What you did with the hood was great. :D The old one was totally crap and I should've taken the hint when Shadow earlier stated how things were. :oops:

So, I now did what I do best. I tweaked your image.
... And as a result he might look a bit overpowered.
Attachments
ranger_tweak.png
ranger_tweak.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Khris

Post by Khris »

Awesome! Your edit's pretty eye-opening.

Besides showing me that my polishing wasn't up to snuff this time around, I also noticed that I ended up making the sprite overall quite a bit larger than normal sprites. Oops.

So, what I ended up doing was a complete redo, almost, for the body. I stuck the quiver on the back in place of a sword for the sake of an awesome ranged animation (we can assume the sword is on the other side, and it, of course, could just be swapped for a sword if necessary). I think I finally Wesnoth'd the sprite this time around. I stuck with outlines for the most part, and compared it to rogue and thief sprites while creating it, and the sizes are pretty even.

Thoughts?
Attachments
rangerb.png
rangerb.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

No Khris, now the Trapper is taller than the Ranger, that will not look good.

Eternal edit looks awesome.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Wow, Eternals edit does make it look awesome!