Other artists inspirations and References

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Syntax_Error wrote:metal should be of a traditional metal color unless theres some really important reason for being otherwise and its an exception
Actually I'd be interested to hear from the art masters here where the "metal is blue/cyan" conception comes from anyways. I'm guessing it's due to reflecting the color of the sky or something but I don't know.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Don't know casting is gray almost black polished steel silver.
The reason why is perhaps that silver is not in the paint-box. :)
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

Honestly I would really like to cooperate to make those warrhamer warriors.

Honestly , Neotrice made his Chaos fraction inspirated from Warhammer too...
Whatever...
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

They are good I know but copieing them is cheap.
Neo's chaos might be inspired but different enough not to start copyright troubles.

This thread was more planned as a inspiration source for portraits.

Still nothing stops you to make a new faction loosely based on the art. It is more a matter of how you do it and how many new ideas you can bring into it.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Actually I'd be interested to hear from the art masters here where the "metal is blue/cyan" conception comes from anyways. I'm guessing it's due to reflecting the color of the sky or something but I don't know.
You probably meant "steel is blue/cyan", because no artist colours gold, brass or copper blue/cyan.

Metals generally do have a "colour", that is, they reflect some parts of the visible spectrum better than others, that's why gold is warm yellow, copper is reddish, etc. Silver and aluminium are quite "white", they reflect the spectrum uniformly, and that's why they are used on mirrors. Since you can tell silver from steel by the look of it, they have different reflectance spectrum, steel being more bluish, though the difference is very small, and artists tend to exaggerate it.

Of course, metals can only reflect light that is falling on them, and outdoors it includes light coming from the sky, and since the sky is much brighter than the ground, the reflecting light contains more light from it.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
You probably meant "steel is blue/cyan", because no artist colours gold, brass or copper blue/cyan.

Metals generally do have a "colour", that is, they reflect some parts of the visible spectrum better than others, that's why gold is warm yellow, copper is reddish, etc. Silver and aluminium are quite "white", they reflect the spectrum uniformly, and that's why they are used on mirrors. Since you can tell silver from steel by the look of it, they have different reflectance spectrum, steel being more bluish, though the difference is very small, and artists tend to exaggerate it.

Of course, metals can only reflect light that is falling on them, and outdoors it includes light coming from the sky, and since the sky is much brighter than the ground, the reflecting light contains more light from it.
Yeah, generally speaking gold, brass, etc really are yellowish/orangish, but steel et. al have extremely little color - perhaps just the slightest tinge of slate grey/blue.

This is dramatically stronger outside, because these "color-neutral" metals start reflecting all that blue light from the sky. Indoors, though, they're generally grey.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

*uses Plague ability to resurrect thread*

I just found SenshiStock who has some very useful-seeming reference shots.

Plus, i don't want this thread to vanish...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
db0

Post by db0 »

Nice thread indeed.

Wikify?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

A wiki page would be good, but i think stickifying would be enough - it's much easier to add to threads than to the wiki, in my experience.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
db0

Post by db0 »

IMHO a wiki page is much much better. You just edit and add a new link while having too many stickies tend to clutter. You can always link to the thread from the wiki as well
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Both would be best =D
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Syntax_Error wrote:say, you take a d&d/tolkien/warcraft/warhammer orc. but in your setting orcs will be different, they will be smarter and more peaceful than humans and elves. thats imo bad. first of all, copying from already over-used sources; secondly, such traits dont fit orcs, it conflicts their definition. dont conflict main definitions. if medusa doesnt have snake hair or cannot stone, dont call it medusa. get some other base, put some other race name. add something to justify their existence as a seperate race, like eg extreme masochistic pacifism.
Belated observation: An exception to this is the "misunderstood race". eg. The transition from "evil horde" orcs to "noble savage" orcs. That's (IMO) a reasonable reinterpretation because the noble savage orcs could seem like evil horde orcs from a human perspective.

Similarly, rare legendary creatures leave a lot of room for reinterpretation, 'cos legends can be mistaken. Maybe Medusae don't really have snakes for hair and the ability to turn people to stone. Maybe they're a plant life form with paralysing tendrils. It's easy to see how that could've become distorted over the years - especially if few see them and survive.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:A wiki page would be good, but i think stickifying would be enough - it's much easier to add to threads than to the wiki, in my experience.
No, the wiki is a -lot- better, for a simple reason. There's a threshold past which people don't read sticky threads. If there are one or two sticky threads, people will actually bother to read them, but if there are five or six, people will generally ignore what's in them.

If we want sticky threads to achieve their, IMO, primary purpose of serving as a global "read me first/announcement/current status" system, then we need to keep the number of them fairly low.

Besides that, it just makes the forum easier to visually parse, without all that garbage at the top of every page.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Other artists inspirations and References

This could be extremely useful for anyone wanting to add knotwork designs to spice up their portraits. When I get around to re-doing my work on the dwarves, I'll definitely be using it.

Also available in German and French.
Corvvs

Re: Other artists inspirations and References

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks. Been wanting to know how to do that for ages.

EDIT: doubt I'll be using it in a portrait, though.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits