Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kaldred: The shadows look good, now.

Eleazar wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Redeth's coins look nice - and are worthy of a commit. The others have coins which are far too large.
So are nearly all naturally small items, swords, rings, potions, flowers, etc.

i'm adding a modified versions of stilgar's first coin pile.
If you haven't already added it, at least shrink them by using the coins from the "gold" status icon instead. Things do get magnified in size, I was just saying that that was above and beyond what was necessary.
YXT

Post by YXT »

an armour and weapon pile, don't know how it reads to other people though with all the details squish together.
Attachments
armour.png
armour.png (916 Bytes) Viewed 6093 times
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

It kinda looks like a dead fish
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Woodwizzle wrote:It kinda looks like a dead fish
I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the tendency of many old games (8-bit and 16-bit era, mostly) to have a few sprites which you see wrong for a year or few (like a pile of armour looks like a dead fish, and you wonder why they made a pile or armour be represented by something that looks like a dead fish) before you finally get how you should be looking at it. On the other hand, it made things more fun because you could, among others, come up with all sorts of funny names for monsters because you had no idea what they were supposed to actually represent while they still looked like car interior heaters or something (but then again, I suppose that was only fun when you were a kid).
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

There were some odd green things that couldn't be killed in the spectrum 48k version of Gauntlet. My brother and I used call them Mr. Doorhandles. I don't think I ever worked out what they were meant to be.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:A sword in a stone
Something like this? It's supposed to be a stone with an anvil, Arthurian style.

Is this too small? Drawn funny? Etc.?
Attachments
sword-in-the-stone.png
sword-in-the-stone.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:
Eleazar wrote: So are nearly all naturally small items, swords, rings, potions, flowers, etc.

i'm adding a modified versions of stilgar's first coin pile.
If you haven't already added it, at least shrink them by using the coins from the "gold" status icon instead. Things do get magnified in size, I was just saying that that was above and beyond what was necessary.
Yeah, coins that size would be about ideal. I'm not eager to redo it, but someone else may. It's IMHO "good enough" now. If it's in trunk it has a better chance of getting improved.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kaldred

Post by Kaldred »

Here some new pics from my statues. I´m very busy currently, but i try to work further on them. With the second one im not satisfied (I have a newer verion of this but i don´t want remake the pictures ;)). And the fifth one use the rotten plants of the third, but i will draw them new in the next version.

Some sugesstions to make them better?

A Problem by the ruined one is that the head going out of the hex so they must be used as halo.
Attachments
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
test.jpg
test.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Kaldred wrote:Some sugesstions to make them better?
They look quite good. You could add some details like small cracks and imperfections for a better "ancient stone statue" look.

Alternatively, you can go 'heavy metal'... :)
Attachments
metalstatue.png
metalstatue.png (8.08 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Kaldred wrote:Here some new pics from my statues. I´m very busy currently, but i try to work further on them. With the second one im not satisfied (I have a newer verion of this but i don´t want remake the pictures ;)). And the fifth one use the rotten plants of the third, but i will draw them new in the next version.

Some sugesstions to make them better?

A Problem by the ruined one is that the head going out of the hex so they must be used as halo.
I'm not sure if items need to stay in hex, terrain doesn't necessarily.

I have no complaints except the top of the decapitated body should have a bit of an outline, and i agree the living vines shown don't look as good as the others.

It would certainly be a monumental achievement if you made these 5 variations of each unit you showed earlier.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

I noticed that lots of the items in wesnoth are 66x66 or 70x70 pixels large. Wesnoth will resize them them to 72x72 and thus make them blurry. Same for images that are too large.

I'm currently fixing the images already in trunk, but please keep this in mind.

This also answers Kaldred's question: Items can't exceed their hex.
Aurë entuluva!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

mog wrote:This also answers Kaldred's question: Items can't exceed their hex.
They sure can. All you need to do is to use the halo= key instead of image=.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Using the halo key makes the image appear in front of units, which sometimes looks rubbish. It also makes the item visible in the midst of shroud which is not good.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Using the halo key makes the image appear in front of units, which sometimes looks rubbish. It also makes the item visible in the midst of shroud which is not good.
Oh, I see. My bad, I suppose it can't be done then. :| Well, I suppose the OpenGL stuff will easily allow this without performance losses when it's done, so I wouldn't personally worry too much about committing larger-than-hex item images to trunk.
Kaldred

Post by Kaldred »

mog wrote:This also answers Kaldred's question: Items can't exceed their hex.
Thats was not a question ;) Image´s will cut on the hex borders. Halo can be used, but how Bob_The_Mighty says they are a bad choose if a unit can move on this hex because then the unit will be cover from the item.

But what are the reason that images scaled on the hex?
I think images should be handle like halo with the only different that their layer schould be lie under the units.