more item images for multiplayer use

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bob_The_Mighty

more item images for multiplayer use

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Given the proliferation of scripted multiplayer games, it would be nice if there were more images (of items and things like furniture and landmarks) for scenario writers to use.

What I mean is, perhaps the images could be included in the main game image/item folder, so other players don't have to download anything to play your scenario.

In particular, I think an image of a shop would be very useful. Most of the MP games i have played include shops, but villages are unsuitable since moving into them ends your turn.

I cannot draw at all, but someone could perhaps convert the existing graphic of one of the villages to make a shop/blacksmith/tavern image - which could be used like the current temple image. A little swinging sign hanging from the roof would be nice.

What do you think?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If someone makes suitable items/icons, then I think it's appropriate enough to add them to mainline so that UMSs and such can use them. They won't really take up almost any space after all.

I don't believe anyone would seriously be opposed to this, either.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

All this requires is someone to actually make the art.

Someone may or may not do this. No one will make them, and it won't be very high on priority lists.

So it's just a matter of making the need known and seeing who fills it.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Yeah, we'll add more items if they are good enough.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Just like good attack icons are added even if they're not used by mainline units.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Jetrel

Re: more item images for multiplayer use

Post by Jetrel »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:What do you think?
I think that:

a] This is something I had worked at briefly, in the past, but mothballed because the TC conversion had far greater implications for the game in general.

b] This is something I will work on after the TC conversion is done (possibly before the drakes get TCed).

But please do brainstorm ideas, in this thread, of things that would be useful. Also, if someone like irrevenant wanted to compile said list as the thread goes on (if it does "go on" for a while), that would be helpful too.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Someone could plunder the User-made campaigns.
I pulled a few more from RotL and UtBS

trapdoor-closed.png
bow.png
wreck.png

EDIT:

I've also added 6 runes, such as are in many UMCs, with enhanced appearance, and glowing and non-glowing versions.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

OK, so i recently downloaded all the campaings on the 1.2 server to see if there were any good graphics i could grab.

I noticed the runes and magic-circle were used several times, so i'm making better versions for mainline. This magic circle usually comes in 6 pieces. Is there any reason i shouldn't just provide it as a single graphic?
Attempting Lucidity
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Jetryl wrote:But please do brainstorm ideas, in this thread, of things that would be useful. Also, if someone like irrevenant wanted to compile said list as the thread goes on (if it does "go on" for a while), that would be helpful too.
How about a lever or switch that would look as if it were built into a cave wall, or dungeon wall if such gets added with the new terrain system. Would that be possible? Obviously, the scripts associated with its use wouldn't trigger when in the same hex as it, but one adjacent ("I found a lever on the wall here. Shall I pull it?")

Potion bottles seem to be well-covered, but it might be nice to have a bottle that's very obviously poison, for a case of something that could be picked up to add poison to someone's attack.

Perhaps a crown or some other "treasure" type items. Even a heap of gold coins, which I thought was already in there, but which I don't see where I'm looking.

More statues like the drake one would be nice just for decoration.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Town Fountain.
A well.
A Big stash of treasure. Think smog's lair
Village ruins. Looks like a dilapidated abandoned village.
Windmill. Could be animated!
Farm with grazing livestock.
A Stonehenge
An evil looking altar
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:OK, so i recently downloaded all the campaings on the 1.2 server to see if there were any good graphics i could grab.
A New Order has some great farm-type imagery (bales of hay, etc).
Eleazar wrote:I noticed the runes and magic-circle were used several times, so i'm making better versions for mainline. This magic circle usually comes in 6 pieces. Is there any reason i shouldn't just provide it as a single graphic?
Not that I know of; there may have been in the past, but I think we've evolved beyond them.
Eleazar wrote:I've also added 6 runes, such as are in many UMCs, with enhanced appearance, and glowing and non-glowing versions.
Added? I don't see these in trunk/images/items ... I'm guess you mean "to your pile on your HD".
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Jetryl wrote:
Eleazar wrote:I've also added 6 runes, such as are in many UMCs, with enhanced appearance, and glowing and non-glowing versions.
Added? I don't see these in trunk/images/items ... I'm guess you mean "to your pile on your HD".
https://mail.gna.org/public/wesnoth-com ... 00514.html
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

On a side note, we should go through the imagery we have for items, and retouch many of them.

The actual "acquirable items" should have a pixelated style like the potions have; the terrain features should match our terrain style; with shadows and such. Some of these are either messily made, or are obviously-raytraced graphics that look really out of place.

We've never really done an audit of this folder; it would be a great thing to do.

In essence, the following need revision as terrain objects:
castle-ruins.png
leanto.png
lighthouse.png
monolith1-4.png
pine1-2.png (I have several other tree images lying around, btw)
rock1-4.png
slab.png
well.png

And the following as pixel/interactible objects:
ankh-necklace.png
armor.png
ball-blue.png
ball-green.png
barrel.png
book1-5.png
box.png
dummy.png
flower1-4.png (we need a new image to handle what these often get used for - to allow little patches of flowers as terrain overlays).
ornate1-2.png
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SkeletonCrew wrote:
Jetryl wrote: Added? I don't see these in trunk/images/items ... I'm guess you mean "to your pile on your HD".
https://mail.gna.org/public/wesnoth-com ... 00514.html

Gotcha - the images in this folder are precisely the right style for terrain overlays/objects/ whatever we want to call them. It's the difference in style between these and the too-obviously-raytraced old stuff that I'd like to remedy.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Master Stilgar wrote:Potion bottles seem to be well-covered, but it might be nice to have a bottle that's very obviously poison, for a case of something that could be picked up to add poison to someone's attack.
Woodwizzle wrote:An evil looking altar
Done. Done.
jetryl wrote:A list of stuff that needs work.
I agree with this list.
Another issue is scale. Some of these things would be better adapted to the terrain scale (i.e. the well)
Other items are of dubious usefulness, and i wonder if they are still used anywhere.
Attempting Lucidity