more item images for multiplayer use

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Master Stilgar wrote:It looks to me that the "something weird" with the windmill is that the axis of the rotors isn't staying still - it slides and jumps around in a strange manner.
That isn't what was making it look weird to me, I'm pretty sure - especially since, IIRC, windmills are supposed to do that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Master Stilgar wrote:It looks to me that the "something weird" with the windmill is that the axis of the rotors isn't staying still - it slides and jumps around in a strange manner.
That isn't what was making it look weird to me, I'm pretty sure - especially since, IIRC, windmills are supposed to do that.
Really?

JetMuse: On one hand, most people (myself included) wouldn't know that, and would flag that as a flaw. On the other hand, what the hell do we care? We can educate the bastards, although we don't have a good venue for explaining that to them, and won't do anything contrived to do so.

So, uh, I don't really know which way to go with this. As you're adding the shadows, if you want to straighten the axis out, go ahead, if you don't, that's also fine.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote:
No, the point around which the rotors rotate isn't supposed to move, and definetely shouldn't change angle, otherwise the rotors would hit the building. This is a problem with it, at the moment the center (that odd dot being the center, I assume) is moving, actually moveing (while it should just be rotating, and being round at this scale that shouldn't be noticable), and the blades are changing angles all over the place, this animation should be done with as many frames as it takes to show a quater rotation (90 degrees) and just have that in a loop, maybe with some speed variations done in the code (as suggested eariler).
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Ranger M said:
No, the point around which the rotors rotate isn't supposed to move, and definetely shouldn't change angle...
this animation should be done with as many frames as it takes to show a quater rotation (90 degrees)...
That happened because i first put the rotor in the middle of the picture and then turned the hole layer(in gimp), but the picture had no mid point to turn around depending on its demensions, wich is 72x72, so i should copy the layer to a new image with odd demensions and make the turning there and then copy it back to the original, think that should work. For a 90 degree animation, the wings must be identically equal to each other, wich they do not at the moment, they differ a bit. I will redraw them.

Jetryl said:
So, uh, I don't really know which way to go with this. As you're adding the shadows, if you want to straighten the axis out, go ahead, if you don't, that's also fine.
I'm happy that the people deal with the things i post here :) I'm always eager to please everybody, although this is impossible. But most people don't seem very happy with the moving axis. So straighten that out is necessary.
I've already planed to add shadows of the rotor.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:JetMuse: On one hand, most people (myself included) wouldn't know that, and would flag that as a flaw. On the other hand, what the hell do we care? We can educate the bastards, although we don't have a good venue for explaining that to them, and won't do anything contrived to do so.

Well, like I said: IIRC. There's a very good chance that IDNRC. ;)

BTW, it's possible that I was confusing windmills with electric fans - electric fans rotate in that way, after all.

So - I do still think windmills move like that (which is why I know that, in any case, that isn't what was bugging me out the animation), but I'm not at all certain. My confidence is about 52%.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:IDNRC. ;)
God dammit. I don't even know what that stands for (nor do I have the time to look it up.

Care to clue me in? :P
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:
turin wrote:IDNRC. ;)
God dammit. I don't even know what that stands for (nor do I have the time to look it up.

Care to clue me in? :P
Just put it back in context, and it's easy enough to figure out (I managed it in under 10 seconds):
Well, like I said: IIRC. There's a very good chance that IDNRC.
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

battlestar wrote:Image Image Image Image

floating ice, ice burg, lava crack and shipwreck, not in the right order.
Those are very nice.
The ice needs some changes to better match the ice-water transition (underwater parts) and the ice berg needs to be more blueish, but otherwise they are perfect.

Would you mind posting these images without background?
Aurë entuluva!
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

wonder if the iceburg looks any better.
Attachments
-shipwreck.png
-shipwreck.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
-iceburgb trans.png
-iceburgb trans.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
-lavadirt.png
-lavadirt.png (2.78 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
-iceburga.png
-iceburga.png (13.22 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Since we now have burnt villages, could we have an unburnt normal village included as an item? Linking to the village image in the terrain folder makes it really tiny for some reason.

Having a village as an item would be useful for shops when you don't want players getting in each other's way - since it wouldn't end a unit's move by capturing it.

Unless of course someone wanted to make a nice new shop image.... :D
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

I straightned out the axis and added some shadows.
The shadows took me awhile, they were not easy to made.
This gif has a frame rate of 110ms and it is now an 90° animation with 18 frames in total.
So , what do you say about it now?
Attachments
windmill-green.gif
windmill-green.gif (102.03 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

kinda blurry, but much better, animation-wise
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Knowing how much it work must have been to make the shadows I really hate to say this, but they are inconsistent with the static shadow of the building. The building is clearly lighted from viewer's right and above (as it is the standard lighting scheme), but the shadows of the rotor indicate light coming from directly above the viewer.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Knowing how much it work must have been to make the shadows I really hate to say this, but they are inconsistent with the static shadow of the building. The building is clearly lighted from viewer's right and above (as it is the standard lighting scheme), but the shadows of the rotor indicate light coming from directly above the viewer.
Sort of. The rotor shadows look to be coming from a 15° to the right angle, the shadow of the tower looks to be coming from a 45° angle. A semi-easy fix would be to tweak the shadow of the tower, though that would of course cause an inconsistency between this and other buildings. But even with this, this whole business is a minor issue.

It looks plenty good enough.

Even if you intend to polish it further, please post the existing frames as they are; we'll put these in-game, and if you'd like to do more work on it, we'll update them when you're done.
traverser

Post by traverser »

hooray, we can now make a Don Quixote campaign