Naga fighter

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Hender

Post by Hender »

Turned out I had some extra time today after all.
traverser wrote:It kind of looks like Jabba the Hutt with all the fat. But maybe that's just me. And the level two's sword might look better if it did not point straight up
I tried to fix both those things with this new edit. Now instead of a big stomach and fat, the level 2 has pecs and abs which cannot be made to look fat no matter how you view it. If anything, he looks too sporty to be a snake-creature.
wayfarer wrote:Personal I can't see an improvement, sorry. The bodies were snake like formed in your edits they loose there elegance.
Patience! :D I'm still trying to work this out. I've said that the level 2 is too fat, here's an edit to fix that. As for the level 1, he hasn't changed shape at all, there's merely been a style change.

Anyway, if these turn out to suck, Jetryl will be doing them. In the meantime, we get some ideas flowing. I, for one, am curious how snake-like these creatures are meant to be. Are pecs and abs too human to be on nagas, for instance? And where do I place team colours? These are questions I'm sure Jetryl would benefit from as well should he rise to the task.
Attachments
Naga-renewal5-2.PNG
Naga-renewal5-2.PNG (5.15 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Nice, only thing to say is, that they look fatter to me, and less snake like. I know its meant to be muscle, but so far its not working.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

Hender wrote:Anyway, if these turn out to suck, Jetryl will be doing them. In the meantime, we get some ideas flowing. I, for one, am curious how snake-like these creatures are meant to be. Are pecs and abs too human to be on nagas, for instance? And where do I place team colours? These are questions I'm sure Jetryl would benefit from as well should he rise to the task.
Maybe... would be good if he told us wheter he intended to *completely* do them from scratch (I mean: nagas don't even have to have green skin, only two arms, and those nice features on their heads - ever seen those in Heroes of Might and Magic? (the old one... :wink: ) - They're looking completely different.)

By the way: here's a suggestions how to make them look not like a hutt and more snake like... it's only a minor edit (you may do the main thing) and they can still be made a lot sleaker - I'd use more dark colours for shading them, too...
Attachments
slightly edited version - now with 30% less fat!
slightly edited version - now with 30% less fat!
naga_renewal4_2_666.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
Hender

Post by Hender »

EELuminatus wrote:here's a suggestions how to make them look not like a hutt and more snake like... it's only a minor edit (you may do the main thing)
You realize that these are the male naga, right?

Anyway, I can make them more snakelike if that appeals more to people. I just don't think it looks as cool. I'd prefer a snakelike tail and a buffer upper body, like I've made (and I certainly don't think their new abs look fat).

But fair enough, I'll try to make a snake-like upper body as well. I just think it will look bad.

EDIT: I've had a look at them, and I do concede that they still look rather fat.

EDIT2: I've taken a look at the sprites, both mine and yours, and I think that the chest on yours looked like something in-between male and female. Apart from that, yours was mostly better. I made my own attempt to learn from your style and superior design, and churned out the following attachment. I also fixed up some stuff in general.

I applied the same new body to the level 1, and as a result, he looks more butch.

By the way, sorry if I came off as rude by suggesting th femininity of your sprites!
Attachments
Naga-renewal6.PNG
Naga-renewal6.PNG (3.63 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

Hender wrote:By the way, sorry if I came off as rude by suggesting th femininity of your sprites!
That hasn't been rude at all - it's true! I realized them looking a bit female, myself... else I wouldn't call them "sexy". :wink:
Sorry if I came across rude by calling yours "fat" by the way... I just liked the way you presented them and had to use it as well. :P
JW

Post by JW »

Please let the Myrmidon be. It is a tremendous sprite already. The Naga could use some improvements though, so good luck! I do agree with others that say his midsection looks oversized a little. I think it has to do with how his body should be twisting around where his right hip would be. Right now it goes striaght up where it should be rotated so it faces to the east more.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ugh. I can't stand the myrmidon sprite. The post looks completely absurd to me.

I may be alone in this, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

turin wrote:Ugh. I can't stand the myrmidon sprite.
Really? That's odd. It's one of my favourites.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It's implementation is fine, but the idea is not. Holding two swords in that pose, IMHO, would simply never be done. Ever. By anyone.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

I thought the very first change he made would be good as the female Naga. :) Less evil and mean, more . . Round-headed?
George Mason

Post by George Mason »

turin wrote:It's implementation is fine, but the idea is not. Holding two swords in that pose, IMHO, would simply never be done. Ever. By anyone.
I agree. The idea of a snake with 2 arms should also by removed. It would never exist. Anywhere. At anytime. Let's get realistic here people.
I flew a nuclear bomb into a chasm to save all you punks, and this is the thanks I get?
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

Since when is BfW realistic? The idea of fish with human torsos and heads isn't unrealistic as well? Naga's aren't going to be removed, or their general design changed. A mythological Naga is supposed to be a serpent with hands. I'm sure that most people would like naga's to be more serpentine than what is being depicted by EELuminatus, but that will be decided by the Art Dev's.
Gus

Post by Gus »

There are two different "realistic" things here. A serpent with arms holding swords is something that makes sense in a fantasy word. A naga fighting by banging two coconuts together is not. I don't exactly know the problem with the way the swords are held, but it's stupid to say that the pose doesn't have to make sense just because it's a fantasy world.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hender wrote:In the meantime, we get some ideas flowing. I, for one, am curious how snake-like these creatures are meant to be. Are pecs and abs too human to be on nagas, for instance?
Pecs exist on all fish-descendant creatures, including mammals and reptiles. They just come in very different shapes. On armless snakes, the pecs have basically atrophied into near non-existence, although some nubs of the arm bones still exist. On fish, these same muscles control two of the lower fins; fins which on early lungfish evolved to allow the fish a limited ability to pull itself around on land, and which later developed into arms or forelegs, on the first lizards.

What does this mean for us? Naga have relatively human-like pecs. Their abs are quite different, though, since their pelvis is as well; human abs are structured around the attachment to the pelvis at the bottom.

Hender wrote:And where do I place team colours? These are questions I'm sure Jetryl would benefit from as well should he rise to the task.
Naga and mermen will be wearing considerably more armor in their revisions than they do now; it won't be iron, but there are plenty of water-resistant metals available to them. I used to be biased against armor, until I came to the obvious realization that water actually makes heavy objects far easier to carry. This armor will be designed in somewhat different ways, to accomodate the obvious differences in their anatomy.

Mermen have very "classical greek" styles of armour/armament. Naga have very "indian" styling, partly since that is their source mythology.
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Jetryl wrote: Mermen have very "classical greek" styles of armour/armament. Naga have very "indian" styling, partly since that is their source mythology.
Strange - I would have thought it to be the other way around, with the Myrmidons being the warriors of Achilles.
Maybe the myrmidon name could be used on mermen tree (lvl 2??) and a new one found for the Naga upgrade(s), maybe even one with sanskrit roots (which indo-european word doesn't :), or connected to hindi mythology?

I always found it particular with the greek themed names of both the Naga and Mermen lines, considering the enmities I imagine between them.