Race specific GUI

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

At the moment (Although im guessing it is still rough) the definition of dwarf faces is hard to see, greyscale i like, but highlights are needed i think personally.

Also i've had a revelation.

The units are pixel art, the terrain is pixel art.

Would a greyscale pixel art ornaments be good also?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Naa please not Pixel art is much too controversial for me.
I didn't start shading this were only the flats so yes everything looks flat.
Yep Wesnoth si pixel art that doesn't mean we must make alll portraits in pixel art so why the gui.
What I would like to aim for is this.

Well also just a game but one with a beautiful theme that goes though the whole game like a red line.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Now i see what your going for i will have to agree!

Is it possible on your one, to raise the lower decoration (of the helmet and man) up a bit without covering any unit information?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Already checked that it seems to work, but it is not really tested yet everything is in an early stage. That said I don't if yomeone has any further ideas for decorationshe is welcome.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Slow progress.

Now I would need a coder. Is it possible to add a small circle which displays the time of the day insteat of the big rectangular thing we have now?
traverser

Post by traverser »

Did this post die, it looked good for a while
Another useless post, and what for
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

wayfarer wrote:Slow progress.

Now I would need a coder. Is it possible to add a small circle which displays the time of the day insteat of the big rectangular thing we have now?
To start with, I think that all you need is an artist :) After you have images for each time of day, you can do a zeroth order test by replacing images in the schedules.cfg file. Then to make it a little more perfect you will need to adjust the size of the time-of-day-panel in your theme and the [time_of_day].

What will be needed for it to finally be really part of a race specific theme (or any theme) is to enable the schedules section to be theme dependent. It might be already, but I doubt it. I don't think that it will be hard (I could be wrong).
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I made a break with this project.

a) scanner doesn't work
b) It is a big project with a high chance of not being accepted.
c) I still haven't got most of my answers.
d) The support is somewhat vague I don't even no if it is possible what I'm doing, and I there are still some thinks I can't do myself

OK that sounds like I'm acting like an [censored] and indeed I do but I've earned this right.

If I look over the wrecks I have left on this place I mustn't make another one.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 19th, 2006, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traverser

Post by traverser »

Wrecks are forgotten and everybody appreciates the effort. I am not sure how you could make it race-specific, but I am sure that more-artistic GUI will be accepted gladly. If your scanner started working and you asked the developers I am sure that a less straight-linish design could work. I am not much of an artist, but drawing a battle onto the free spots might wotk.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Wayfarer, I believe that there is probably a great deal of support for this project, but that it is muted because people are adopting a "wait-and-see" approach before offering comments/criticism. I also think that it has a very high chance of being accepted (compared to other projects), but that it would probably involve a lot of changes and/or the participation of many contributors before final implementation.

That said, it's clearly a huge and challenging project, so if you feel you have better uses for your time, that makes plenty of sense.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:b) It is a big project with a high chance of not being accepted.
Actually, it basically will be accepted, someone just has to do a good job with it.

You're doing a good job so far, but you haven't even gotten past the initial sketches. If you do most of the work, including filling in solid colors, and then trying to shade things and such, I can help with the last 10% of "getting the shading to look professional".

But I'm not going to jump in and start doing things right now, because I have other things that are (almost) delaying the 1.2 release, which I need to work on. It's a question of priorities.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

OK that's all I wanted because I know it is big and I know that I can't do this on my own , I can and I'm willing to do the basic layout and sketching, but I can't do the whole WML, Code, finer shading, (and probably some other stuff I've forgotten)....

If I get your words I'm fine (If my attempt sucks than it is OK) but I don't like it being left in the middle of the road.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 21st, 2006, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

This is something I'd love to lend a hand with, since interface design of various kinds is something I have quite a bit of experience with. Unfortunately I have my hands full at the moment but once I get the two portraits I'm working on finished, maybe there is something I can do to help? Graphically speaking that is, I have no insight into the coding bit.

BTW, what happened to the mock-ups you posted?
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

wayfarer wrote: If I get your words I'm fine (If my attempt sucks than it is OK) but I don't like it being left in the middle of the road.
Looked like a fair attempt to me but it did come across as a very quick job or an early sketch for how the layout of a knagaln interface could look. The stuff you posted conisted of single colored lines making up different shapes which seemed to only be displaying how you thought the interface layout could look before you put more work in. If this wasn't the case I only have to say it lacked alot of detail. The current interface has detailing through texture and highlights which seemed to lack aswell.

It will be a big job to create a new interface compared to a little 72x72 px unit and require a different finish in my eyes. The dwarven head on the side of the mapwindow should be made either as a stone statue to go with a texture of the flat surfaces or a colored image.

The interface is something you see everytime you play and it really needs that extra proffesional finish.

You have to decide for yourself what's worth putting your time on. I have a 60% finished faction with it's own era that is currently on hold due to lack of motivation (the devlings) and also due to the fact that I am pulling weight on the Spacenoth project instead since I felt it would have alot more interest, being a more radical modulation to the game. (In a way it gave me alot more freedom aswell since I can disregard the current wesnoth history having had not nearly enough time to play through all the current campaigns or finding some gathered document where all can be read. Just a boot against some people who like to step into faction threads and say it doesn't go with the current wesnoth history in a rather brutish manner 8) )

anyways..

If you don't think it's fun, if it is not a rewarding job (might actually become better as an artist by finishing a project like this) or you feel your efforts will not be used then you probably shouldn't do it.

Forcing art with lack of motivation is the worst.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

You slightly underestimate me.

I used an pleasurefull hour to extract the old basic layout to get at least some numbers.

That was the result. (I couldn't find some numbers so I must puzzle the whole stuff together and trace it :? )

Nude without any parchments. Very exciting.

So I started to work this stuff over.

One thing can't be improved it is the same thing that Windows made wrong since 3.1 and still in XP. Angular windows never look nice. Or have you ever seen a circular button there. Rounded edges and oval shapes are more natural and look better.

Next problem is the visibilty. Even Commad and Conquer hasn't displayed that much Informations in one screen. So I would like to minimize the time of the day in at least a round watch like a old grandfather clock and add some smaller symbols for rounds money in/out and Villages on the edge of it. To clear the frame a little bit and get some space.
At the moment it is a balance act between visibility and artistical freedom even without prober shading. Thats why I'm [censored] here, because this will be a time killer.