Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Can any graphics program do this?

Post by zookeeper »

I have a new animation for an existing TC'd unit. However, due to some small mistake, the RGB values in the animation frames are slightly off - not enought to be visible to eye, but messes up the TC'ing nevertheless.

The question: does any graphics program (I haven't tried GIMP or Photoshop yet, only Paint Shop Pro X) allow me to save the palette of an RGB image and then load up the palette in another RGB image, mapping the colours of the saved palette to the image? Or do all programs require me to convert the image(s) to some indexed colour space before I can save/load the palettes (which of course messes up transparencies and is a very hard way otherwise too)?

The base frame contains all the colours needed in the animation frames, so I just need to map the colours of the animation frames to the colours of the base frame (nearest match). If there's a way to do it easily other than the palette method, I could of course just as well use that method too.
methinks

Post by methinks »

I'm not sure-sure but possible a small & simple program GraphicGale can?
-Adam
tuco

Post by tuco »

In gimp, you could try Colors->Map->Sample Colorize.
This is the location in gimp 2.3.11, but in 2.2.x, it is probably in Filters->Colors->Map->Sample Colorize.

You need to have the two pictures opened (the one to change, and the one with the correct palette). But I am not sure it works well for images with defined palettes however (indexed images).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I *think* both photoshop and graphicconverter (the latter being mac-only) can do that. Never tried it, so I'm not *sure*. But I think so.
Disto

Re: Can any graphics program do this?

Post by Disto »

zookeeper wrote:I have a new animation for an existing TC'd unit. However, due to some small mistake, the RGB values in the animation frames are slightly off - not enought to be visible to eye, but messes up the TC'ing nevertheless.

The question: does any graphics program (I haven't tried GIMP or Photoshop yet, only Paint Shop Pro X) allow me to save the palette of an RGB image and then load up the palette in another RGB image, mapping the colours of the saved palette to the image? Or do all programs require me to convert the image(s) to some indexed colour space before I can save/load the palettes (which of course messes up transparencies and is a very hard way otherwise too)?

The base frame contains all the colours needed in the animation frames, so I just need to map the colours of the animation frames to the colours of the base frame (nearest match). If there's a way to do it easily other than the palette method, I could of course just as well use that method too.
I know you can definetly save colour indexes but then you need to make it indexed so it's probably not the best option. Why don't you just use the "select colour" or whatever the variant is in Photoshop and just paint the right colour in. You can do that with the Gimp too.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth