Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SFault

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by SFault »

artisticdude wrote:Yeah, the whitening around his eyes was supposed to be him looking up, but it's... gah. I'll get rid of it or make it more apparent. Thanks.
Perhaps you should make the whole head to look up a little.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

artisticdude wrote:Sorry to butt in like this, but I made a idle animation for the ruffian. Basically, he tosses his club into the air and catches it. I know there are some glitches in here pixelwise, but I'm really looking for critique on the movement of the body and club.

BTW, that's a killer animation, Major. :)
The way he throws it originally is wrong. To start from almost verticle means you'd never get enough flick of the wrist to spin it around a full 180 degrees. Instead it should start a few degrees below horizontal. The actual path of the club is pretty good, if a little jerky, I'd add in extra frames as it rotates (and keep it in the air for about the same amount of time).

Finally: get some body movement in there. I might be able to stand rock still whilst throwing a drumstick about, but for a huge-big club he's going to need a little wieght behind the throw.

Still - very nice concept and you're not far off with the implimentation either. Keep at it :)
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Major: frames for the Pathfinder anim, please, that looks perfect.

Atisticdude: you still have a long way to go with that one. Grab a prop and practice the motion. You'll find that you need to drop the top of the 'club' siignificantly in order to get the flick into it. But a simple hand-bash like the Thug's might be a better idea for an idle for this chap.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

thespaceinvader wrote:Atisticdude: you still have a long way to go with that one.
:augh:
Too true. (Sigh.)
thespaceinvader wrote:But a simple hand-bash like the Thug's might be a better idea for an idle for this chap.
Yeah, but I don't want it to seem as though I'm just copying someone else's idea, you know? I suppose I could try it if this doesn't work out, though.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Don't worry about that - there are, after all, only so many ways that a unit can be idle... Making them all unique is a lovely, but almost certainly un-workable, idea.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Breaking from the ruffian for a while, I'm working on an idle animation for the mage (I hope this already hasn't been done, but I couldn't find anything).
Attachments
mage-idle.gif
mage-idle.gif (5.58 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

When he turns his head to look at the book, he looks like he just turned forty years older. Maybe it's his eyebrows...
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Focus on finishing one animation before moving onto the next.

And I'll say it again move the whole body. Exaggeration is such an important tool in sprite art, use it. Try every motion, nearly every motion you make has an effect on the rest of your body.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

would it be asked too little if a mage would just nod his head after finishing an enemy? like, aknowledging the battle spirit of a unit that rests in peace now ? :mrgreen: the move would go like this: he makes a fist, puts it slowly on his chest and then lowers the head until his chin is on his chest. would be a very nice "praise" and quite fitting to a mages character, as they r good at vanquisihing UD for isntance, but can also act ike priests who show this behaviour.
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

Cloud wrote:And I'll say it again move the whole body. Exaggeration is such an important tool in sprite art, use it. Try every motion, nearly every motion you make has an effect on the rest of your body.
Yeah, put his entire body into stabbing the staff into the ground, you're current swing wouldn't be enough in real life and therefore wouldn't be nearly enough in sprite animation.

EDIT: Or maybe he's just a very strong magi to make those cracks in the ground. :?
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

artisticdude: the devil is in the details... your animations feel kinda "rushed", with solid concepts but a very rough execution. Take your time, there's no deadline :)

Major: awesome :shock: (my only advice: beware of some unintended "shaking" effect of legs and arms between frames).

White mage taking a break, looking around, listening to some strange birds... you know, being idle. :P

edited glitched ankh
Attachments
white-mage-idle.gif
white-mage-idle.gif (9.38 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Last edited by Redeth on February 7th, 2010, 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Maybe the hair could have a bit more contrast? Very nice anim, though.
Fog

Post by Fog »

The face in the animation dosen't seem to match the one in the base frame. Specifically, it looks like his head grows. I agree, contrast would help.

I like the smoothness of the animation as well as the sutble movement of the eyes.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Pathfinders ZIP.
Pathfinder idle anim.zip
(59.37 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Redeth wrote:Major: awesome :shock: (my only advice: beware of some unintended "shaking" effect of legs and arms between frames).
Apologies: if you could fix this minor issue first, I'd appreciate it - it's particularly noticeable on the axe hand, since it moves in and out a couple of times. I didn't notice it before, sorry.