Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by thespaceinvader »

These animations should transition back into the base frame - something like sheathing a sword wouldn't really work...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

thespaceinvader wrote:These animations should transition back into the base frame - something like sheathing a sword wouldn't really work...
Indeed, and I doubt an orc would bother to make a "you've been a worthy foe" gesture after killing his enemy. In my book that reads "honourable tribute". It doesn't quite match with what you would expect from a lowly orc grunt.

Still, I'm open for more suggestions. Next! :)
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

The problem is that if they should return to main frame is that forbids any "cool pose" upon victory (since it will return to base frame) and then you get into the realm of "We up our arms and cheer" style)

Next suggestion would be a dwarf unit, giving a "brindis" with beer to cheer after victory.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

nice idea anyways for other units!

to be a little more specific, how did you mean this now: victory, like, complete victtory or just the i kill a unit victory?
because i meant the latter.

my idea would be to let a goblin dance like this guy at 00:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP2jLmkHrfA
i am not sure though if u have no problems with the country availability.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Redeth wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:These animations should transition back into the base frame - something like sheathing a sword wouldn't really work...
Indeed, and I doubt an orc would bother to make a "you've been a worthy foe" gesture after killing his enemy. In my book that reads "honourable tribute". It doesn't quite match with what you would expect from a lowly orc grunt.

Still, I'm open for more suggestions. Next! :)
On the other hand, a "salute the foe" animation would be well suited to the Fencer line, and would add to their character. The higher levels could even salute during their death animation, before toppling to the ground...
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Rigor wrote:nice idea anyways for other units!

to be a little more specific, how did you mean this now: victory, like, complete victtory or just the i kill a unit victory?
I think they're both supported, and they would be the same animations, only difference being that the "I killed you" ones would play for a single unit after finishing off an enemy, and the "total victory" ones would be played by all of the units left alive in your "faction" after you've won a scenario/campaign/whatnot.

Ok I'll work on a master-at-arms "salute the foe" animation. Dancing gobbos and toasting dwarves can wait (besides dwarves don't drink beer in Wesnoth, the berserker is drinking orange juice) :wink:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The suggestion I'd have for the orc would be to spit on the corpse of his foe. or the ground where the foe used to be...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

spitting is maybe a little too much. when im playing wesnoth i wouldnt like to see spitting grunts everywhere :D

another idea for the grunt, what about letting him make a powerful movement, like shouldering his scimitar in a movement signalling a lot of brute force behind his arms, and stretching the chest very proudly like the mighty, strong orc he is? alternatively he could do anything else with his fist, like a "throwing away" gesture and throwing his head back a little (u dirt, i just discard you,hoho)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Rigor wrote:spitting is maybe a little too much. when im playing wesnoth i wouldnt like to see spitting grunts everywhere :D
Doesn't have to be every time, could be 10% of the time. :P
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

actually what i wanted to say was : "i dont want to see disgusting things in wesnoth" :)

Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

A spitting orc would be very appropiate, both for an idle or a victory animation. It doesn't have to be too 'graphical' or disgusting (we have a sneezing naga already, and Jet and I managed to do pull it off well I think).

And the "I'M KING KONG, BRING ME A BLONDE OR DIE!" move would also suit several units, of the more brutish branch of the family, naturally :)

Anyway, what do you think of this one? :hmm:
Attachments
"You fought well, monsieur."
"You fought well, monsieur."
master-at-arms-victory.gif (10.79 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

looks good. what about making the move of the right arm a little deeper and twist the torso a bit to the (from my view) right side so u can see the bowing animation better ?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Redeth wrote:Anyway, what do you think of this one? :hmm:
Mostly I like it, but I think that holding the hat in that way (out front, close to the body, right-side-up) looks a little unnatural. In a traditional "flourishing bow", one swings the hat out back and away from the body - a grand gesture that is, unfortunately, trickier to animate.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I think it works well as an honorable salute rather than a bow. "You fought well" rather then "I fought well".
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

TBH, that could probably make a good idle animation, if nothing else.