First try at portrait

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
-wight-

First try at portrait

Post by -wight- »

yeah its looks abit out of proportion but i like it. I made it to go with a unit i made a while back. so yeah what do you guys think.
Attachments
and this was the sketch
and this was the sketch
portrait sketch.JPG (28.29 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
this was the unit
this was the unit
dwarf 1.PNG (1.86 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
jg

Post by jg »

I think both are quite good, not mainline quality (perhaps), but still good for a start. Since I am no great artist, better wait for the comments of others, but I will still give it a shot. The eyes of the dwarf in the portrait seem kind of strange to me. They seem to look like big black blobs.

The right shoulder (seen from the viewpoint of the dwarf) of the unit-picture seems not to be there. This is because it has a very light color. This might look strange on terrain like snow and ice. Better change the color a little.

jg
Last edited by jg on August 14th, 2006, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

@the unit: The dwarf is okay, but looks to be in mid walk. His shoulder blade should be a more metallic color.

@ the portrait: What's with his eyes? Every time I look I can't help but think his eyebrows are him squinting and he has black face paint on to shield him from the sun. Eyes just aren't that shape. Also, please don't draw on lined paper, use a clear one. I would have to say that you could very well color the portrait, but fix the eyes first.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I'm pretty sure those "eyes" are meant to be warpaint. The figure's pretty good, in a cartoonish way, but I think the axe looks a bit too simplified and the axehead seems oddly twisted.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Master Stilgar wrote:...and the axehead seems oddly twisted.
To wit: the handle-facing end of the blade should shift to the right (and thus be partially concealed by the handle.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

The axe looks kinda small, and has no perspective.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The biggest problem with the portrait are the über-cartoonish, Peanut-like proportions. With head almost half of the height, it's definitely way out of the realm of the existing portraits, which tend to stick pretty close to realism, as far as proportions go.

Other than the proportions, the portrait has promise, but I would add some detail to the clothing and gear, and maybe make the beard a bit smaller to show more of them.
toms

Post by toms »

My ultimate tip for a start: Use paper without lines.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

ok i have done one with the eyes and axe fixed but its on lined paper. ill scan it when i get home from school.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

here it is.
Attachments
updated
updated
portrait sketch 2.JPG (29.85 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Good job on the axe. :)

(btw - is that thing in his beard supposed to be a mouth? I think you might want to redo it. 8))
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Well, it's obviously not intended to be anything like the Wesnoth portrait style(s).
On it's own merit it's actually not all that bad. That is to say, I've seen worse.

(Personally I find the style to be nothing short of nauseating, but that's just my little opinion.)
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

The eyes are much better, but where are his ears? At least make a little of them peek out from behind his sideburns. The mouth does need work. Don't worry about the smudges, you can clean those up when you digitize the portrait.