tatmf
Art Contributor

Newby for dwarves' illustrations

Post by tatmf »

Hi everyone!

I'm TATMF (it's pronounced TATMF).
I'm new here, but I'd like to introduce myself with my art, so here it is:

Any usefull comment is accepted.

I already know it's a bit dark and the armor doesn't feel right. I also noticed I could get more shade on the metal.

I let you fire now. :wink:
TATMF --- with an A as in Art
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, I'm not that good at art, but I can say that it looks pretty good, other than just the armor, which needs work.
hey.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Welcome! And what a way to introduce yourself.. that's a great picture. :)
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
JW

Post by JW »

The general structure and concept is great, but the shading style is quite different from what is used in Wesnoth. You can check out Jetryl's tutorial on cell-shading on the wiki to color your art in a style closer to what is currently used in Wesnoth.

If you can learn that then I imagine you getting several images committed.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Well, aside from looking a bit fat and having some shading issues, it looks good.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

He sticks his beard into his armor? :P
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Great stuff! I believe the only real problem (and it's most likely only a very minor obstacle) is his maille shirt, which looks a bit out of place with all those tiny little details. Otherwise the shading looks like it's pretty fine, although Jetryl probably will want to give it some finishing touches.

I really hope you'll make more after this one. :)
tatmf
Art Contributor

Yeah I know

Post by tatmf »

I was aware of the shading used by Jetryl (though I did not find the shading tutorial).
I like Lute's european comics style (kind of E.P.Jacob meeting Hergé).

I tried not to make mine too different, but I got carried by the usual dwarves' representation. I just managed to skip on the detailed armor ornaments.

The shading seemed a lot brighter in PS, I guess Gamma's messed up.

If I get the chance, I'd be glad to cover for the dwarves portraits. I could also give a try to some female characters, but I guess there are already people queuing for that job, am I wrong? :wink:

PS: it's been too long since I spoke English, please forgive
PPS: of course, I guess next time I should post the inking first
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Yeah I know

Post by zookeeper »

tatmf wrote:If I get the chance, I'd be glad to cover for the dwarves portraits. I could also give a try to some female characters, but I guess there are already people queuing for that job, am I wrong? :wink:
Some people have attempted some dwarf portraits, but as far as I know there isn't much going on at the moment. But, even if there were people doing or planning on doing dwarf portraits already, more of them would still be very welcome and very useful! I see the generic unit type portraits (which everyone seems to be doing) as very secondary to portraits for special characters, of which the campaigns are full of. Even if there's a generic unit portrait for, say, a dwarvish fighter/steelclad/lord, there are still plenty of dwarf characters in campaigns that would need their own portrait, as opposed to just a generic one. And even if there isn't a mainline character that could use the portrait, I'm pretty sure there would be one in some user-made campaign.

I'm pretty sure that all portrait art that looks good, unless it's something really odd like a one-armed elvish arsonist, will get put to good use in one form or another.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

What do you have against one-armed elvish arsonists? Did they burn your farm to the ground or something?
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Yeah I know

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:I'm pretty sure that all portrait art that looks good, unless it's something really odd like a one-armed elvish arsonist, will get put to good use in one form or another.
*cough*Elvish Pillager*cough*
---

I would say, pick a unit, see if it has a portrait, and if it doesn't, draw one for it. The dwarf fighter is a good start - I advise you finish it, unless you think it can't be fixed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

That's nice - I saw it earlier, but didn't have time to comment. There were a few valid issues that people had pointed out, but the majority of the image is in good standing.

Unfortunately, now, when I sit down to work on it (as per your request), I can't load the image. :( Strange.

Try attaching it to the forum - hopefully that will fix the problem.
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

I make backups of all graphics that appear here all the time... let's hope the image wasn't removed on intention - it seems to be just server problem.
Attachments
warrior_dwarf.png
warrior_dwarf.png (66.69 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I make backups too - good to see someone else does. Nice catch.
tatmf
Art Contributor

Sorry about that

Post by tatmf »

Well... That's the 3rd time this month my provider's servers are down.

I realy don't know why. I thought I had found the perfect place for my site, but I might consider looking for another service...

Thank you all for you remarks. As mentioned, I asked for a more "visual" explanation, I think it's the fastest way. :)

By the way, I know this is being discussed over and over, but if other pictures are more useful, I could give it a try. I just don't have the time to read through the whole forum and site to stay aware of priorities.