75%
mine
25%

Total votes: 20

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

warrior-king edit

Post by Thrawn »

wondering if it looks better, because I couldn't tell what was going on with the face in the original.

comments welcome!
Attachments
warrior-king2.png
warrior-king2.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
wk_comp.png
wk_comp.png (4.27 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

It looks to me as if you merely removed his beard. Whether that's "better" or "worse" may depend on your opinion of beards. Personally, I think the with-beard looks a little more kingly. But I have no strong opinion either way.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

xtifr wrote:It looks to me as if you merely removed his beard. Whether that's "better" or "worse" may depend on your opinion of beards. Personally, I think the with-beard looks a little more kingly. But I have no strong opinion either way.
I don't see a beard when I look at him--so I didn't draw one.
I also:
*redid the face completely
*tried to smooth some of the lines
*made the shadow with fading towards the edges
*darkened the face-guard on the helmet
Attachments
w/ grey beard, like portrait.
w/ grey beard, like portrait.
wk_comp.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 3369 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

No offense but I think the original is a lot better. I never had trouble interpreting it, to me it looks like his eyes are hidden and what you're seeing is his nose with a moustache under it. Your new face looks like more of a jumble to me, I just see what I suppose are meant to be eyes but they don't look right to me.

Edit: This in response to the first post. The newest one looks more like a dwarf face.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Thrawn wrote:I don't see a beard when I look at him--so I didn't draw one.
Look closer--it looks like a very obvious beard and moustache on the original to me.

I do like the other changes, but prefer the original face, with the dark beard.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Master Stilgar wrote: Edit: This in response to the first post. The newest one looks more like a dwarf face.
in game portrait does that too. thanks for the comments though!

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The original doesn't actually clearly depict anything. What it does is hint at facial details and gives a rough impression of a bearded face.

You seem to be trying to include each detail.

Which approach is better is an open question, although my preference leans toward the former.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Its a unit that appears in 2 scenarios of 1 campaign. I do not think this is an issue of the highest importance right now, and there are better things to do than replace an okay graphic with a different(not better, not worse, just different) one when the existing one is fine as it is.
hey.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Its a unit that appears in 2 scenarios of 1 campaign. I do not think this is an issue of the highest importance right now, and there are better things to do than replace an okay graphic with a different(not better, not worse, just different) one when the existing one is fine as it is.
What people choose to do with their time is their business, who's to say what ranks as 'more important'? He's working on something he thought would be a good use of his time/could contribute to the game/be a small step to take towards improving his pixel art skills.

Personally though, it looks to me like you're trying to do too much with too few pixels.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:The original doesn't actually clearly depict anything. What it does is hint at facial details and gives a rough impression of a bearded face.

You seem to be trying to include each detail.

Which approach is better is an open question, although my preference leans toward the former.
It's an open question, but the answer is the former. :P

It's not possible to actually resolve every detail of an object in sprite art of this size, because you just don't have the available resolution. Rather, you should suggest them. As darth fool suggested: "If normal-scale drawings liken unto prose, then sprite art likens unto poetry."

Now, as for this individual drawing, IIRC, the sprite was made well before the portrait, before the character had a beard, and I for one see no hint of a beard whatsoever in the original. I also thing it doesn't matter whatsoever, and that there are better things for anyone to do with their time.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Jetryl wrote:As darth fool suggested: "If normal-scale drawings liken unto prose, then sprite art likens unto poetry."
Whoa, that's deep :).
Jetryl wrote:Now, as for this individual drawing, IIRC, the sprite was made well before the portrait, before the character had a beard, and I for one see no hint of a beard whatsoever in the original.
I always saw that dark patch below his chin as a short beard, and the line above as a mustache. Matter of interpretation I guess.