New Dwarvish castle

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I like the middle upper one too, but it seems to have too much highlight in a few spots (such as the bottom of the columns where they meet shadow).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

toms wrote:
Tomsik wrote:I think top right one is best one.
Yes, it´s also good.

But I noticed that they look a bit metallic. Did you want that? :o
not origionally, but whilst experimenting they ended up looking like this, and I liked it so they stayed this way.
Sapient wrote:I like the middle upper one too, but it seems to have too much highlight in a few spots (such as the bottom of the columns where they meet shadow).
easily fixed, but for the purposes of this 'poll' (used loosely because the end choice may not be exactly what was most popular, depending on what people choose, their reasons for doing so and any critocisms that they have) fixing it would be a bit pointless at the moment.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

middle upper one, like the top color better, the one on the left is hard to make out details on, the on one the right is too brigh(IMO)
Sorry for the meaningless post
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I hate conformism...but I agree with what's being generally said: middle upper. 8) I'd say overall it provides the most sublty of difference/contrast while still remaining distinctly different
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

The two leftmost are hard for me to make out all the details without zooming in, but the other four stand out just fine. On the other hand, the rightmost (especially the upper) almost seem like a wireframe drawing, rather than a 3d image. I prefer the middle two, though I don't have a real preference between upper and lower.

What I think might be even better is if you could reduce the overall wireframe effect by reducing the contrast between the surfaces and the edges. If you're not sure what I mean, I'll try to post an example, if I can get some time to work on it.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

ok, I'll be starting on the first actual images within the next three hours (after lessons) so if you want to affect my final choice (heavily leaning towards the top middle through personal choice, votes, and reasons given, but I am still flexible) then post before then, because I'll check one last time before I actually begin.
xtifr wrote:On the other hand, the rightmost (especially the upper) almost seem like a wireframe drawing, rather than a 3d image. I prefer the middle two, though I don't have a real preference between upper and lower.

What I think might be even better is if you could reduce the overall wireframe effect by reducing the contrast between the surfaces and the edges. If you're not sure what I mean, I'll try to post an example, if I can get some time to work on it.
this is simply because I haven't done what I had done to the others on this one, which was to apply bright edges to the top and right edges, and duller ones to the bettom and left edges (thinking in 3D), mainly because it wouldn't be very pointfull for this simple 'poll', I how however know what you mean, and this could be done very easily, however I delibetately made the edges much sineyer because that was how it was done in the dwarvern village, and part of the 'spec' for this was to make the dwarvern castle more similar to these than the previous ones.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Ranger M wrote:this is simply because I haven't done what I had done to the others on this one, which was to apply bright edges to the top and right edges, and duller ones to the bettom and left edges
Ah, excellent, then I shan't waste my time trying to tweak things. (Deleting file I downloaded.) I definitely think these are coming along nicely, and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

BTW (and this is just an observation, not a criticism), does anyone else think these look a little bit like they're made out of chocolate?

<voice="Homer Simpson">Mmm, cho-o-ocolate</voice> :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

xtifr wrote:
Ranger M wrote:this is simply because I haven't done what I had done to the others on this one, which was to apply bright edges to the top and right edges, and duller ones to the bettom and left edges
Ah, excellent, then I shan't waste my time trying to tweak things. (Deleting file I downloaded.) I definitely think these are coming along nicely, and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

BTW (and this is just an observation, not a criticism), does anyone else think these look a little bit like they're made out of chocolate?

<voice="Homer Simpson">Mmm, cho-o-ocolate</voice> :)
I second that, Mmm cho-o-ocolate, I looove, chocoloate, but it makes me fat, but I loooove chocolate (Ahh, the endless debate)

as for the actual castle, I think that I may have a problem to do with how it is set out, I haven't actually divided it out yet, but I think that the 'curved' (well not exactly, but close enough) would probably cause problems if it was anything but the keep, so I ended up doing that first. Of course, that is only my guess, but I didn't want to risk it and waste my time.

ps I've only posted this to demonstrate the curved walls, it is by no means finished, although I don't mind if you comment on it, bear that in mind.

EDIT: quick question about the final version of the Keep, does it need all of the side variations that the castle gets, or can it be posted as a single image?
Last edited by Ranger M on March 16th, 2006, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I know one thing I like about the curved walls is that they give a different impression of the Dwarves from the old, hexagonal walls. I think it is a very good difference!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I know, I am going to try making these the normal walls, but I have a horrible feeling that it won't work with the transitions, so there would be problems there, not to mention it spilling into the surrounding hexes, so they will, as I said, probably end up being the keep walls instead, with the castle ones being more flat.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ranger M wrote:ps I've only posted this to demonstrate the curved walls, it is by no means finished, although I don't mind if you comment on it, bear that in mind.
I like the concept. As you said, it's not nearly finished, but the architecture is nice.
Ranger M wrote:EDIT: quick question about the final version of the Keep, does it need all of the side variations that the castle gets, or can it be posted as a single image?
Assuming I understood the question right...it needs the same kind of tileset than the castle, because there can be several keep hexes next to each other.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

zookeeper wrote:
Ranger M wrote:ps I've only posted this to demonstrate the curved walls, it is by no means finished, although I don't mind if you comment on it, bear that in mind.
I like the concept. As you said, it's not nearly finished, but the architecture is nice.
Ranger M wrote:EDIT: quick question about the final version of the Keep, does it need all of the side variations that the castle gets, or can it be posted as a single image?
Assuming I understood the question right...it needs the same kind of tileset than the castle, because there can be several keep hexes next to each other.
yeah that's what I meant, and thanks for the comment about the architecture.

I have found that I can get it working as a normal castle anyway though, just needs a bit of tweeking.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think you should make outlines bit darker, especially on the upper part, right now contrast is too big IMO.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

that is because I hadn't finished shading the upper part, it would (and could still) end up looking the same all over, but for now that design is on hold because it is almost impossible to get them all to mesh together, they don't line up, pretty much no matter what you do.

so this has mean I have gone after a flat wall design, which will probably end up being the keep. The curved wall is just too frustrating right now.
Tomsik wrote:I think you should make outlines bit darker, especially on the upper part, right now contrast is too big IMO.
this is actually the opposite to what most people complained about to being with, and so the contrast was increased to what it is now. adding shadows should help in the respect too.

unfortunately I have no ready screen shots right now, as although I have them all lining up in game, they aren't properly finished, textured or shaded yet (all of which have been started but not finished as yet)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I am proud to present, new dwarvish castle:

unless people have major problems with it, then I'll upload the individual .pngs (I already have a version, but they need a bit of updating because once I put them all together I modified some shading and shapes, so be patient about that) and then I'll make the keep and wall -> cave wall transitions.