New Dwarvish castle

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

In addition to playing around with the brightness I would try to up the contrast a bit also.

How about making the door a bit wider, so the side don't meet at the top, like on the village. I think that will look better.

Would you mind posting it on a transparent bg also, would be much easier for others to manipulate that way.

I experimented with a dwarven castle some time back. Never got anything finished, but I can post my work in progress tower anyway. It also has some problems with blending to much into the bg btw.
Attachments
tower.png
tower.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I think that if I make my graphics into the wall ones, and then use these as the base for the keep, it might work, but would also look a bit... wrong, your tower gives the impression of having a top on which defenders could stand, but in small caves this probably wouldn't happen as there wouldn't be room.

I mean if dwarves built a wall in a cave it would block as much of the passage as possible, otherwise things like giant spiders, and anything which can climb (which most underground things can do) would just grab onto the roof and use that to climb over.

then again the point of graphics is to look good, not make sense. :?

also deviating from the general tower shape (maybe make flat unscaleable walls) would help make them stand out from the normal keeps as being definatly dwarvish.

I'll work on both the doors width, and the contrast.

and here is the un-backgrounded version. (it's a bit blurry round the edges, but I'll fix that in the 'final' version)

ps, sorry for the lack of progress on it today, but I had some late coursework to finish, which still isn't done :P
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Here is my rough sketching I have drawn about 2 months ago. I wasn't satisfied with it, so didn't continue the work. If this is helpful for someone, use it if you will.
Attachments
dcastle.png
dcastle.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

What gamma do you have your monitor calibrated to? Alternatively, are you working on a Mac? Macs use a different gamma to most PCs (1.8 vs 2.2), this could be affecting different interpretations of how bright or otherwise your art is.

Let me add that on my current monitor (a PC LCD that I haven't particularly calibrated at all) it looks a bit dark to me - I can't remember what it looks like on my Mac.

I think you can have a little more differentiation without it seeming to be made out of something other than rock. Heck, it could even be made out of gleaming white marble and still be consistent with underground dwarvish construction.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

@ Skippy: I use Linux, on a HP laptop, and have no idea how to change the gamma, or contrast settings on my screen.

I will change the contrast to be increased by different degrees, and see which is most popular, and work form there.

@ Pekka: actually that helps alot, you just gave me an idea for the keep, and I can use most of the current one for the normal castle hexes.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

to allow people a bit of choice with the contrast and colour (included by popular demand) I have six examples for you to choose form/ select as your favorite which you want me to work from.

Once as many people have chosen as possible (in a days time) I will look at the results, decide who's opinions are more valid/important :P and then start on the normal walls.

ps: ignore the door, in the real version this won't be here, I just haven't edited it out yet.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to attach them
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Ranger M wrote:to allow people a bit of choice with the contrast and colour (included by popular demand) I have six examples for you to choose form/ select as your favorite which you want me to work from.
You are still too wrapped up in minutia, the left and middle versions are so similar the difference is not worth noticing.
*sigh* This is not a way to arrive at good decisions. The castle never appears out of context on a pure white background. Those of us who have contributed to the terrain graphics nearly never post individual hexes--always a number of hexes together. Because a hex never appears alone it cannot and should not be judged alone. The correct amount of contrast is mostly determined by what makes it stand out agains the cave floor.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I'm not a terrain expert, but I agree with Eleazar (who is a tarrain expert).

In regards to those choices, I can't see any difference, none at all. The only thing is that the top three are a different hue to the bottom three. I think the top ones look better, but I cant tell without seeing them in a game evironment (which is of course the point of Eleazar's post).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Damit, I could have sworn that it was way more obvious last night. Sorry about that, looking at it now I can't even tell the difference between them (with my blurry just woken up eyes). ignore that post it is complete rubbish.

Sorry about that, I'm going to try putting something together at some point when it isn't three in the morning (I knew i should have gone to sleep).
Eleazar wrote:You are still too wrapped up in minutia, the left and middle versions are so similar the difference is not worth noticing.
*sigh* This is not a way to arrive at good decisions. The castle never appears out of context on a pure white background. Those of us who have contributed to the terrain graphics nearly never post individual hexes--always a number of hexes together. Because a hex never appears alone it cannot and should not be judged alone. The correct amount of contrast is mostly determined by what makes it stand out agains the cave floor.
basically I know, but wasn't thinking much when I posted those, normally I would at least have put them on a cave floor if they were on their own (As i id previously), or in larger groups like this I would have taken a screenshot of some of the terrain that would normally surround them (cave walls, cave floor, rocky cave, etc) and then edited them onto there.

Again, sorry, about that.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

ok, another double post, but I have now upped the brightness on them to an noticeable degree, this should be a good choice, and I have included them on a transparent background as well to allow easy editing.

EDIT: and yes, I do realise that the ones on the right don't have the same lighting effect as the others (no fade out to the right) but these are just demos, so that isn't all that important, and will be on the final version, if they get chosen.
toms

Post by toms »

The lighter ones are best visible because of their contrast to the cave background.

But the middle look the best. 8)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

toms wrote:The lighter ones are best visible because of their contrast to the cave background.

But the middle look the best. 8)
my opinion too basically, although the others are there to give a better range of options (yes, I did origionally prefer the left hand one, but it was the first one that I made), but which colour do you prefer?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think top right one is best one.
toms

Post by toms »

Tomsik wrote:I think top right one is best one.
Yes, it´s also good.

But I noticed that they look a bit metallic. Did you want that? :o
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

middle upper one.