New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

new Harrier animation

Post by ghype »

So I am not gonna be much around the next days, so I thought to leave this one here.

Its a bit choppy but it should do it. I took kaleh/nym as a reference, but now I am wondering wether in the 2nd last frame the bolas should still be slung somehow?

harrier-ranged-animation-1.gif
harrier-ranged-animation-1.gif (10.86 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
Hejnewar

Re: New animations

Post by Hejnewar »

I don't think that spear should be disappearing during defence animation.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Hejnewar wrote: April 30th, 2020, 7:57 pm I don't think that spear should be disappearing during defence animation.
It is the ranged defense animation.
The melee defense animation was already done by doofus and it shows the spear
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ghype wrote: April 28th, 2020, 5:48 pm Is there something that needs to be improved or can be considered good enough?
It looks fine to me. You did a great job with the footwork in my opinion. His upper body is a bit stiff-looking though. It would probably be better if he leaned forward, but I realize that it would be a lot more work, and it might not matter in the game. I think the melee slide must make it hard to see things like that because that original ranger animation is surprisingly bad.
ghype wrote: April 30th, 2020, 10:46 am rover-animation-ranged-3....harrier-ranged-animation-1
These look good.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ghype

Post by ghype »

beetlenaut wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:15 am It looks fine to me. You did a great job with the footwork in my opinion. His upper body is a bit stiff-looking though. It would probably be better if he leaned forward, but I realize that it would be a lot more work, and it might not matter in the game. I think the melee slide must make it hard to see things like that because that original ranger animation is surprisingly bad.
About the stiffness, given that there I think currently at least 6 frames for the melee animation, that the animation will happen rather quickly and details as such won't be even noticed in-game. I was considering to change the angle of the bow as that might be the reason why it appears so stiff.

Changing the angle of the bow should do it I think ... will work on that and copy the animation to the trapper as well.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I would like to draw attention to two animations which, though not new, have been strangely overlooked. They are of sufficient quality, but have been neither accepted nor explicitly rejected in the respective threads. The first is a victory animation for the dwarvish fighter, made by Redeth - the second a death animation for the elvish shyde, make by henkutsu. Perhaps somebody could clarify why they were not added -or- if they were indeed simply overlooked/forgotten, reconsider including them into mainline.
fighter-jump.gif
fighter-jump.gif (19.08 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
shyde-die.gif
shyde-die.gif (30.86 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
Code + Pngs

Code: Select all

# dwarf fighter victory animation
[victory_anim]
    start_time=0
    [frame]
        image="units/dwarves/fighter.png:300"
    [/frame]
    [frame]
        image="units/dwarves/fighter-jump-[1~8,4,2,1].png:[100*3,200,100*4,200,100*2]"
    [/frame]
[/victory_anim]

# elvish shyde death animation
[death]
    start_time=0
    [frame]
        image="units/elves-wood/shyde-die[1~14].png:[120*8,80*6]"
    [/frame]
[/death]
anim-pngs.7z
(19.21 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The jumping dwarf seems to jump a little high.
maksiu

Post by maksiu »

Hello, I create new silver mage, and I'm curious what I could improve, to make animations.
Attachments
silvermage1a.png
silvermage1a.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
silvermage1.png
silvermage1.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
My addons - Phoenix Era
Straff

Post by Straff »

The staff is very hard to read.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is nice pixel work. The book is particularly good. The hood looks too high off his head though--like there must be a small pillow under it. A bigger problem is with BfW conventions: As a level-3 unit, a silver mage should take up more space in a hex than a level 2. However, to me, this looks smaller than a level-2 mage. It will get used because UMC authors are always looking for new mage units, but not as a replacement for the current silver mage. (Which is what "Art Contributions" is intended for.)

If you want to get your work into mainline, you should concentrate on units that don't have all their animations yet. For example, the quenoth in UtBS and the dunefolk.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
maksiu

Post by maksiu »

Green & red - lines around
yellow - height difference
;)
I made the hood on purpose, I think the current line has more graphic errors than the "hood cushion" which I also made on purpose.
And I made a silver magician, which is what the name implies. Not the gray one it is now.

I don't want to make graphics that I don't feel
Attachments
porównanie.png
porównanie.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
My addons - Phoenix Era
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A little background:
1. maksiu sent this to me first, I told him to post it here. Let's stick with technical critique.
2. The idea to update the silver mage is fine, it fits with the larger sprite update that Jetrel (among others) started long ago.
3. We do need art contributors who will stick around, so I'm not in a hurry to chase people off. Replacing silver mage may not seem like a top priority, but if it's the start of a larger effort by maksiu, I'm all for it. (Apologies to ghype for overlooking his animations last year, I'll have to look at those again.)
On to the sprite:
+ I like the stance (depicts mobility better than the existing sprite) and the book is well done. It has a lot in common with the dune alchemist.
+ The idea to make the robe look more metallic is also a nice one.
- However, as Straff and beetlenaut said, the staff is very hard to read and the hood seems a bit high and puffy. Puffy/tall headgear could work, but then it has to be made more clear what it is. Those are the two biggest issues I see - making the sprite slightly bigger/smaller can be done pretty easily at the end.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Why was the trapper death animation removed in 1.16?

Edit: The two [attack_anim] blocks for the dagger are identical.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

vghetto wrote: October 30th, 2021, 4:39 pm Why was the trapper death animation removed in 1.16?

Edit: The two [attack_anim] blocks for the dagger are identical.
Probably because the sprite was updated in #4878.

Looking at that PR, I think I was too focused on the poacher and didn't review the trapper enough. One could argue that the trapper sprite update was too incremental, but that update is the reason, and the previous trapper sprite was showing its age. Improving the trapper is certainly on the table for 1.17/1.18, and probably 1.16 as well. The duplicate dagger animation may have been a placeholder, not sure.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Just jumped on 1.16 and really like the new sprites that have been updated. Hats off to everyone's hard work.

(especially ghype's animations are looking great)