Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
hunter_z

Modernizing the zombie drake sprite

Post by hunter_z »

Hi all!
Since 1.14 introduced so many new zombie/soulless variations, I took it upon myself to modernize the 15-year-old zombie drake sprite.

Old:Image New:Image
Fixed: Image
Scaled:Image

If it gets a pass, I will draw the remaining frames, I'd love to see this in 1.16!

Oh, and I'm 100% open to critique! I've already received tons on the discord server, and it's really helped me improve the initial sprite :)
Last edited by hunter_z on June 19th, 2021, 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Modernizing the zombie drake sprite

Post by Vyncyn »

Big improvement, especially the scales on the leg still look like scales without the checkerboard pattern.

The critique I have is the head. The old one looks more rotten/zombie-like. In comparrison the new one is almost too clean. I think more skin hanging down on the mouth and ears would look better.

Also, are you planning on doing something for the soulless too? It looks even more outdated than the zombie
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Vyncyn wrote: June 18th, 2021, 4:48 am Big improvement, especially the scales on the leg still look like scales without the checkerboard pattern.

The critique I have is the head. The old one looks more rotten/zombie-like. In comparrison the new one is almost too clean. I think more skin hanging down on the mouth and ears would look better.

Also, are you planning on doing something for the soulless too? It looks even more outdated than the zombie
I'll fix the head, thanks for the tip!
The soulless got an update in 1.14, though I'm not a huge fan of it, looks like a stone gargoyle.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello hunter_z,

Your sprite is an improvement over the existing one, I like how you got rid of some of the bulkiness. Possibly it could be included as-is, but I agree that it looks a bit too clean. Rather than adding little rotten details, maybe you could change the posture, so the head or the arms hang down?
hunter_z wrote: June 18th, 2021, 8:02 am The soulless got an update in 1.14, though I'm not a huge fan of it, looks like a stone gargoyle.
That update was 6 years ago, and it was needed. But there certainly is room for improvement, if you wanted to tackle it after the zombie (walking corpse).

The soulless description doesn't really pin down what distinguishes a soulless from a walking corpse (it's a dead warrior versus a random dead?). It might make sense that the soulless is less "rotten". As long as it's possible to tell which one is higher level and that they are both some sort of zombie, it's fine.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

doofus-01 wrote: June 19th, 2021, 11:59 am Hello hunter_z,

Your sprite is an improvement over the existing one, I like how you got rid of some of the bulkiness. Possibly it could be included as-is, but I agree that it looks a bit too clean. Rather than adding little rotten details, maybe you could change the posture, so the head or the arms hang down?
hunter_z wrote: June 18th, 2021, 8:02 am The soulless got an update in 1.14, though I'm not a huge fan of it, looks like a stone gargoyle.
That update was 6 years ago, and it was needed. But there certainly is room for improvement, if you wanted to tackle it after the zombie (walking corpse).

The soulless description doesn't really pin down what distinguishes a soulless from a walking corpse (it's a dead warrior versus a random dead?). It might make sense that the soulless is less "rotten". As long as it's possible to tell which one is higher level and that they are both some sort of zombie, it's fine.
Wow, didn't realize 1.14 was that old! I might revise the soulless version if I get around to it.

Reason why I didn't make the arms dangly was to make it appear to be in a sort of ready-to-attack pose. I made a few final touch-ups to the current version though, I think I will be leaving it as it is, but anyone is welcome to modify it if something doesn't quite feel right. I'll be editing the original post. Thank you for the feedback!
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

He seems to have gone on a diet, from old to new ... good for him!

All these sheep just fatten you up anyway ...