Grand Portrait List - 2020 update

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
egallager

Re: Grand Portrait List - 2020 update

Post by egallager »

Kylix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:10 am Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.
I didn't think the Aragwaithi were mainline though?
Wesnoth-related GitHub repos:
General mods collection, SotBEEE, AToTBWaTD, The Earth's Gut, A Little Adventure
Social media: Twitter: @cooljeanius, Steam: egallager, LinkedIn: Eric Gallager
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

concerning the Northern Rebirth portraits, from the list it is suggested that the story should be rewritten. Its kinda thrown in the air that the current NR will be changed and some characters might not be/or new characters will be in the rewritten portion.
Odium

Post by Odium »

As long as Talin and Zlex are still part of the ride, I'm hyped for the rewrite
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Kylix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:10 am
  • Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.
Of course, that's just who he is in the lore of my own campaigns :P I always imagined the Aragwaithi as an ancient people (maybe it was those long, flowing clothes of theirs give an 'ancient' feel), plus they were one faction I played with a lot back when I wrote A Song of Fire. The mentions to Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh were a great inspiration in writing that campaign, but I guess in recent versions of Northern Rebirth those two mentions were erased? Shame, I really liked how ancient and mysterious Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh sounded...
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

revansurik wrote: February 4th, 2021, 6:46 am
Kylix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:10 am
  • Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.
Of course, that's just who he is in the lore of my own campaigns :P I always imagined the Aragwaithi as an ancient people (maybe it was those long, flowing clothes of theirs give an 'ancient' feel), plus they were one faction I played with a lot back when I wrote A Song of Fire. The mentions to Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh were a great inspiration in writing that campaign, but I guess in recent versions of Northern Rebirth those two mentions were erased? Shame, I really liked how ancient and mysterious Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh sounded...
  • High Kalian of Hiera’Shirsha
  • 14,318 AD
  • Great kingdom of Garet-Desh.
I don't understand why these mentions have been erased, probably to keep eventual curious users to write a prequel to the main storyline, which starts with TRoW. At least the references to the Rod of Justice, at the words of both Camerin and Abhai, are still mainline.
Last edited by Kylix on February 24th, 2021, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Kylix wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm I don't understand why these mentions have been erased, probably to keep eventual curious users to write a prequel to the main storyline, which starts with TRoW. At least the references to the Rod of Justice, at the words of both Camerin and Abhai, are still mainline.
Yep :/ Now Abhai is a ghost from the Old Continent, and Malifor is a survivor of the Wesfolk; I guess it makes NR tied more cohesively with the rest of the canon, although it's weird that Abhai, being a human from the Old Continent, would be so acquainted with the Rod of Justice - which, according to Camerin, is mentioned by some of the "most ancient elvish legends". Unless by "elvish" he means elves from the Old Continent (and even then it'll be a bit of a stretch), it seems be strange that Abhai would know about an artefact so ancient and which was also known by elves of the Great Continent... But I guess that's a discussion for another thread :P
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Kylix wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm I don't understand why these mentions have been erased, probably to keep eventual curious users to write a prequel to the main storyline, which starts with TRoW. At least the references to the Rod of Justice, at the words of both Camerin and Abhai, are still mainline.
Like that's going to stop anyone.