Loyalist Units

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Edwylm

Loyalist Units

Post by Edwylm »

While I was working on my own add-on on creating two different factions for loyalists, one using older sprites and the other the current sprites. I figure that I should contribute my loyalist works I made in my art workshop topic "Edwylm's sprite alterations".
I used Status of Loyalist Baseframe as the base for the units and incorporated current loyalist looks. I Also used Loyalist as a reference along with The Rashy Era's Chevalier General and Grand Marshal.

Note I did not create these from scratch but altered/(franked art) them. 80% of these sprites are used from Status of Loyalist Baseframe topic. Henceforth I do not want any credit for making these sprite.
Comparison to new and old.
updated_spearman.png (7.92 KiB) Viewed 12034 times
new_bowmen.png (21.65 KiB) Viewed 12034 times
new_Sergeant_line.png (43.72 KiB) Viewed 12034 times
Another version for the new with helmet visor down and different helmet ornaments.
Another version for the new with helmet visor down and different helmet ornaments.
alt_new_sergeant_line.png (31.56 KiB) Viewed 12034 times

These are the range animations for the sergeant. I figure this animation style would work well with the other 3 units.
PS. I am not that good when it comes to animations especially melee animations.
sergeant+animations.png
sergeant+animations.png (18.2 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
ghype

Re: Loyalist Units

Post by ghype »

I endorce your attempt on these loys.

the archer lv1 could be a bit smaller, 2-3px mabye and i tihnk there is something missing from the lv3 to lv4. maybe the shoulder pads should be changed as well. maybe make them more spiked or something like the default lv4.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I think that those look amazing. However I would say that they are probably facing just a bit too much to the East, and not South enough. But besides that and the size discrepancy... I think they look fantastic.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well I should do the size change before I continue doing animations. I'll Do the spearman for the first unit and based future edits for other lvl 1 units after it.
spearman_new_size.png
spearman_new_size.png (35.21 KiB) Viewed 11750 times
The first 2 are 3 pixels smaller in the height and 1 pixel smaller in the width. The difference of the #1 and #2 is I change the helmet size on #1. #2 I edited the legs to be a little smaller. The 3rd spearman in 2 pixels smaller in high and 1 pixel smaller in the width.
The advancement sprites are from the 2 links I provided on the first post.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

bowman_size.png
bowman_size.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 11742 times
#1 is 3 height pixel change #2 is 2 height pixel change.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ghype wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 10:20 pm the archer lv1 could be a bit smaller, 2-3px mabye and i tihnk there is something missing from the lv3 to lv4. maybe the shoulder pads should be changed as well. maybe make them more spiked or something like the default lv4.
After much time editing I manage to get a appropriate sizes and edit the grand marshal. There are 2 versions for his shoulder plates.
size compassion + edits.
size compassion + edits.
I will have to rework the animations for the sergeant range attack.
ghype

Post by ghype »

i genuinely enjoy these new loy sprites a lot. there are still some irregularities but those can be fixed.
- the masterbows bow feels too small
- the shields of the higher lv units all are the same, due to this perspective it is hard to get variations on the shield
- armor of royal guard and pike in default are the exaxt same on lv3 except the shoulder pads, your variants are much more different to each other.

before continuing to work on this I'd suggest to wait on a response from the devs because replacing an entire faction is a real hard work.
However, I could see these loys easily added into a new custom faction for Ageless, where you can create you own stats and so on.
or maybe as an optional addon, which simply replaces the old images with yours without interfering with mainline
anyways, good job, i like them alot
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

The new shoulderpads for the marshal look way better now, they looked to big/round before.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Yes. I agree. There definitely are some imperfections but no person is perfect, and those can be fixed easily. I can see the difference with the Marshal shoulder pads, and I really think the new version looks better.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I must say...that new Sergeant line finally fixes the "tiny legs" thing that I secretly cringed about when I used to roll Loyalists in every local game...Keep up the good work!
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well its been a while been but here are some updated sprites. bowmaster's bow height is 1 pixel taller.
General and Marshal with front of shield being viable. we have a more traditional shield and the 2nd none traditional. my idea was to have the general have the smaller shield and the marshal having the larger/traditional shield.

changes.png
changes.png (32.4 KiB) Viewed 8382 times
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

These look quite good. ^_^

I'd need to take a look at their sizing compared to the originals, since that's the one thing I really think should stay the same (the sprites should stay the same height, maybe +- 1 pixel). I'll also try to find time to look at them a bit more closely to see if there are some other smaller issues. Once these are animated, I'd be willing to add them in.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

These do look good, but there are a few issues that should be resolved before they are animated or committed.

The pants and the arm position of the bowman, and the officers' shoulders, looked off to me so I did a somewhat quick edit to show what I think would help (these edits shouldn't be taken as anything other than a demo, they aren't much of an improvement). The sprites are very readable, but they don't really have a sense of depth. For instance, the near-symmetric shoulders of the general break the illusion of 3D.

On a slightly different note, should the pose be different for the general versus the marshal? The helmet is a pretty big difference, but we could go further.

I don't mean to be discouraging, keep up the good work.
Attachments
loyalist_demo.png
loyalist_demo.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 8356 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Thanks for the complements, constructive criticism and finding flaws.
nemaara wrote: March 31st, 2019, 10:57 pm I'd need to take a look at their sizing compared to the originals, since that's the one thing I really think should stay the same (the sprites should stay the same height, maybe +- 1 pixel).
The sizes I wasn't really so sure on the size height is about 2-3 pixels difference compared to the current sprites. I was using other work threads which I linked in the first post and jetrel's new elf sprites as references. But the size is similar/same to that of the quenoth elf sprites.
doofus-01 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 1:07 am These do look good, but there are a few issues that should be resolved before they are animated or committed.

The pants and the arm position of the bowman, and the officers' shoulders, looked off to me so I did a somewhat quick edit to show what I think would help (these edits shouldn't be taken as anything other than a demo, they aren't much of an improvement). The sprites are very readable, but they don't really have a sense of depth. For instance, the near-symmetric shoulders of the general break the illusion of 3D.

On a slightly different note, should the pose be different for the general versus the marshal? The helmet is a pretty big difference, but we could go further.

I don't mean to be discouraging, keep up the good work.
The only animated parts I made so far are for the sergeant and lieutenant range attack and trying out other animations until I had more feedback on the base sprites.

The pants looks better, I figured that it might be lighter as if the sun was shining on the person. More minds are better than one. With the marshal shoulder pads I was hoping to create something similar looking to the current one, having the shoulder pads and adding something on top of them.

As with the marshal I do agree it be better with a different pose. But it seems a bit difficult trying to find a pose that would show off his elegance, a idea was to have the sword resting over his shoulder and another was to have both hands resting on his sword. But resting with both hands seemed to be a better for an idle animation.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I really endorce our work so far. don't know how much feedback i can give but due to the lv1 sprites are bigger then the old ones (at least thats how it appears to me) the progression in size seems smaller in all the lv ups.

what i mean, if you would watch the l1 and lv2 isolated from the lv3, and the lv 2 and lv3 isolated from the lv1 - some one untrained in spritings might say they all are about the same size. or am i wrong?

if i wasn't "stuck" with DF sprites, i would have already helped you as i really want to see these sprites in mainline