Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (5 Scenarios Ready)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Good! I always liked this campaign!
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Just played the three scenarios.

The first one is actually pretty difficult.
The soothsayer, dies but nothing happens, but his survival is in the objectives.

Som of the of te last dialogs in scenario two don't fit the units.(archer speaks for assassin...)
Oh and Headhunters are the best!!!
hope you finish the rest.

By the way, great ambush scene in scenario two...i'm going to steal that right away! :D :D :D
db0

Post by db0 »

Thanks for the feedback Gotrek.
The soothsayer, dies but nothing happens, but his survival is in the objectives.
This should be fixed in the current version (0.3.5)
Som of the of te last dialogs in scenario two don't fit the units.(archer speaks for assassin...)
Do you have a save file for that? When exactly does it happen?
By the way, great ambush scene in scenario two...i'm going to steal that right away! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
In the FOSS world, we do not "steal", we share and copy ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Fourth scenario coming soon (and it's a biggie)
db0

Post by db0 »

Yay! The 4th scenario is finally finished.

It's only 2000+ lines :shock:

For some reason I can't upload to the server atm (network communication error) so here is in as an attachment

I would really appreciate some feedback on it. It's a big one and I may have missed a bug (although I believe I've caught all of them). Also the balancing might be off a bit
Attachments
Forgotten_Legacy.tar.gz
Version 0.4.2
(410.67 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Last edited by db0 on February 5th, 2008, 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Do you have a save file for that? When exactly does it happen?
It happens at the endof scenario two.
when the assassin says, goodbye. well if there is an ennemy orc unit left, that unit will talk instead of the assassin boss.
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
db0

Post by db0 »

This is strange. I did notice a typo for the Orc Warlord's name but the assasin (Kthanti) should speak normally...I'll have to test it :-/
TheArchitect

Re: Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (4 Scenarios Ready)

Post by TheArchitect »

great campaign. I've played through all the levels you have so far and all I can say is I like it. It is soooo much fun to slaughter orcs in the swamp 8) I also think the new saurians work out well. They're not overpowered but they can still be extremely effective. Keep up the good work, i'm looking forward to playing.
db0

Re: Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (4 Scenarios Ready)

Post by db0 »

Thanks for the kind words TheArchitect. I'm working on improving my motivation to continue working on it.
Wurmish

Re: Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (5 Scenarios Ready)

Post by Wurmish »

I was browsing through the add-on server and I found this nice unfinished campaign sitting there, and as an avid Drake player I was immediately fascinated to see someone decide to expand on the Saurian faction. The version I played had 5 well working scenarios, and a rather interesting story. I played on normal difficulty and I have this information for you db0:

First Scenario - Finished within about 3 turns of the limit, rather difficult for me, I wound up spamming braves to skirmish around and kill the grunt. Witch Doctors and Bloodborn weren't able to get through a slightly fractured line of 6 grunts/wolf riders >>

Second Scenario - Nice ambush at the start! Came out with most of the ambushers alive partially due to luck. The two beefed up warriors... didn't bother me much, they kind of were well distracted by the assassins I had. And I learned that with my luck, headhunters are plain awesome, as well as alchemists. Finished by turn 13 or so.

With those done, I noticed that the orc forces had a very bad tendency to simply spread out and not follow my units. Intentionally simulating the fact that not everyone knows where everyone is, or AI bug? Come to think of it, if all those orcs knew where I was, I would have surely been dead...

Third Scenario - Truly fascinating, with an insane chief and 3 gibbering henchmen. I especially liked the middle one, so amusing :) The strategy I used was recall my higher levels and my closer to leveling 1's, and I marched west, and took out the leader there. From there I headed south and basically obliterated maniacs with a couple alchemists and a good deal of miscellaneous ranged support. Headhunters proved useful for eliminating them too, and the maniacs had an interesting twist with all 3 attack types, each with strengths and weaknesses. Finished by turn 19.

Fourth Scenario - I had quite a bit of slow frustration in this level with the 2 movement per forest needed, so I thought to try the eastern route first. I feared the forest and elves with their oh-so-lovely 70% defense, but it turned out that the undead were more of a problem than I had originally gaged, and thus I went back several turns of autosaves and decided to deal with the elves after all. Rather annoying, although the set-piece setup was very fun, trying to maintain all my units carefully, I lost only two I think, and nearly lost quite a few of them. Magical attacks/poison came in handy. Finished by turn 59, if I had kept Bloodborn near the road it would have been about 52, but the silly elves ran east. Also there was a dialog repeated when I went far enough east, although it was saying that the elves wouldn't make it easy or something, and coming up from the south I think you forgot a "don't" to make it negative. And the head keeping part was simply another excellent touch to the Skald's insanity.

Fifth Scenario - Chaotic, to say the least, and quite a bit of good dialog for the more important units during the fighting. Killing the Triton was VERY frustrating, but I finally lured him to the village directly south of his keep and surrounded him. Lost a Stalker and almost a Soothsayer in the process but it was worth it. I hate mermen with a passion now :D The Elves weren't TOO hard, since with finishing so early on scenario 4 and managing to keep a good chunk of my core units, I was able to recall almost everyone and maintain a positive income. I had started the scenario with about 750 gold... Additionally I found that at the end, the connection of Nagas and Saurians interesting, to say the least. Finished by just barely by the end of my 9th turn

Yes I HAVE noticed the most recent posting date and I DO hope there isn't another thread on this, but I looked and didn't find, so I assumed that this thread simply went inactive. To be honest I think this campaign has a great deal of potential, and I would love to see it finished.
db0

Post by db0 »

Thanks for the feedback wurmish. I hope you're glad to know that I'm still around and still planning on finishing this eventually. As a matter of fact, replies such as your is what keeps me going as I have a huge attention deficit problem :(

It seems to enjoyed playing the scenarios ready so far which is cool. It means that at least it plays fine until now :)
And I learned that with my luck, headhunters are plain awesome, as well as alchemists.
I was going for something completely different. Glad you enjoy them as much as I do.
With those done, I noticed that the orc forces had a very bad tendency to simply spread out and not follow my units. Intentionally simulating the fact that not everyone knows where everyone is, or AI bug? Come to think of it, if all those orcs knew where I was, I would have surely been dead...
I think that's just how the AI works.
PS: How difficult did you find the Elite Guard?
Third Scenario - Truly fascinating, with an insane chief and 3 gibbering henchmen. I especially liked the middle one, so amusing :) The strategy I used was recall my higher levels and my closer to leveling 1's, and I marched west, and took out the leader there. From there I headed south and basically obliterated maniacs with a couple alchemists and a good deal of miscellaneous ranged support
Good to see that alternative routes work from what I usually do.
How hard did you find the leader? Or did you just kill the two other henchmen?
Fourth Scenario -[...]
The undead are supposed to be annoying yes but you can get a nice artefact out of them ;)
I suppose you did not pass through them in the end?

As for the elves, I haven't playtested that part too much so it may be too easy. Let me know if you think it deserves tightening up.
Did you get Elimastreia escaping all the time as intended? I hope it frustrated you a bit :P
Fifth Scenario - Chaotic, to say the least, and quite a bit of good dialog for the more important units during the fighting
This is what I was going for. Glad to see I achieved it :)
so early on scenario 4 and managing to keep a good chunk of my core units, I was able to recall almost everyone and maintain a positive income. I had started the scenario with about 750 gold...
Hmmm, You shouldn't have been gaining money in the previous scenario which leads me to believe something went wrong with the code. In scenario 4, did your income rise every time you lost a unit?
Yes I HAVE noticed the most recent posting date and I DO hope there isn't another thread on this, but I looked and didn't find, so I assumed that this thread simply went inactive. To be honest I think this campaign has a great deal of potential, and I would love to see it finished.
Believe me, so do I but I need to find the motivation to do so. You've actually triggered me so I'll try to work on it a bit ;)
If you liked the story so far, you'll love what is coming next (hopefully)
Wurmish

Post by Wurmish »

Well I just seem to get lucky with headhunting, very excellent for eliminating a higher level wounded unit that would require at least 3 or 4 to swarm it otherwise.

The Elite Guard I um... well... assassins make good distractions. I avoided them completely until near the end, slaughtered a couple of my braves but nothing major.

Insane leader wasn't TOO hard, although it did take me swarming him with my best units to get a proper kill in. I left the other two guys alone, used the maniacs that showed up as XP fodder for my lower levels with some alchemists to help them.

As for that annoying elf, YES. Escaped EVERY time. Most frustrating :P But also a good chunk of the time I had to save/load when I was suddenly caught off guard by a ranger who wounded my precious Bloodborn almost to the brink of death o.o And if I hadn't been such a save/load type of person I think I would have had about twice or three times as many losses given that whenever my Chosen got wounded that badly there was another high level but non important unit that perished or was almost dead as well. I do think you might want to put more fighters in occasionally, and that surprise sharpshooter was a serious pain.
Might I suggest making the path just a bit more open, and to compensate drop in a couple more rangers and marksmen?

My income rose each time I captured a village, by 1. But that seems to be a thin go the game, it says villages are worth X but you always get X + 1. I'm going to look through my replays and see how much I had, because in 4 I had a decent amount, but finishing early... whoo gold mine!

I can relate to the attention deficit problem, I have ADD myself ^^

And something I forgot to mention that really helped me but I'm pretty sure shouldn't happen: The Bloodborn Chosen's polearm or whatever... it's lovely and all, but it has one exploit. It has no defined attack type (melee/ranged) so I can attack with that and not get worried about getting hit in return.

Again, I look forward to how it ends up. Good luck!
db0

Post by db0 »

I've updated the fourth scenario now so as not to give a gold per village. Hopefully this will make the 5th scenario as challenging as it should be
Mica

Post by Mica »

This campaign is really great, I love it!

I am just curious if you're still working on it and how's progress coming?

I can offer small help (such as debugging some things or whatever).

I can't wait til it's finished, this is really great, keep up the good work!
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
db0

Post by db0 »

Thanks Mica. I do plan on finishing it but I need to get my motivation going first :)
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

Hi! This campaing is awesome, i really enjoyed the first 5 lvls, and will be checking to see when more comes out!

A few things I noticed (trying not to repeat what has already been said, hehe, though i didn't read all 5 pages, so sorry if some is repeated)
In the 4th scenario I took the elven's path, the income was 0 until the Scald goes to save the other saurian soothsayer which is ambushed by the elves. When that happened he recalled 2 units and from then on I was losing 5 gold per turn (one lvl 2 and one lvl 3 unit). I did get heaps of money when i finished the map, though.
I was playing it on easy, and the elven path wasn't too hard, if you used the witch doctors to kill of the elven archers in the wood.
With the naga, I found the Elven Markman hanging around in the deep water - i managed to kill it, but it just stood there with 1HP when i did, until it reapeared (still only 1 hp) at the top when I crossed the bridge. Saving the saurian brave which you find in the way was really difficult, AI just stormed on it before you could reach it - also, this brave had the "dexterous" trait, which usually only elves have.
Also, it would be nice if the units you start with in the scenario (and the ambushing units in scenario 2) were some recalled units rather than new ones.

In the 5th scenario there are a couple of grammar mistakes in the dialogues (most noticeably the Mermen kept using "mine" instead of "my". On purpose?). I can post them here later if you want.
One thing that made it harder was that the Naga Witch kept running head first into enemy troops, which made it hard to protect her. Dunno if that's an AI thing of what.
Last thing - the elven guy was easy to deal with, but it took forever to get to and beat the Triton. Maybe a bridge or ford to his castle could solve the problem, or perhaps a few extra naga fighters recalled from the 4th scenario.

General comments - The head-hunter is way too strong, I think. It's like the horseman, except it doesn't take double damage as well! During night time it takes out most lvl 1 guys with 1 hit. Maybe halving the damage and adding charge to the attack would be better?
The lvl 1 saurian brave and witch doctor have a bit too little HP, I thought. Almost only the resilient ones managed to survive until they upgraded, 2 successful grunt attacks would kill one.
It would be nice if there were a lvl 3 upgrade on the soothsayer, maybe, just an idea.
If the saurian leader guy had leadership in lvl 2 already it would be cool, too.

Were you planning on getting them to ally with the goblins as well, later on? That would be cool, hehehe, I always wanted to make a goblin campaign, but I lack the programming skills.
Its funny that the saurians are trying to escape slavery from the orcs, but turn out to have an absolute tyrant of a leader themselves! hehehe.

But yeah, its looking really good! Hope you make a few more scenarios to finish it soon (but don't make too many, worst thing are those campaigns that drag out over 20+ scenarios, hehehe).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. congrats on what's done so far!

Cheers,

EDIT - Oh yes, you asked about the elite guards. I played on easy but they weren't much of a challenge. just poison for a few turns, then attack with ranged attacks a lot. If they are orcish warlords in the normal / hard versions I can see that being a problem.