Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (5 Scenarios Ready)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xant

Post by xant »

Great Campaign, and make it a long one.
It seems pretty well balanced so far. Just a few other things to say:

1. Saurian Warriors don't upgrade, or is that intentional?

2. The secret of metal working which is mentioned in the plot, to have been key in defeating the orcs isn't relevant at all in unit attire. The spear points that the saurian braves use could be from stone, the same could be said about the warriors. The witchdoctors don't use any. Won't comment on the head cutters because it isn't certain if they use spears or axe. The only one who seems to be using metal is the leader, but that would be expected even if they didn't have metal working technology, for a tribe generally gives their best equipment to their leader, whether it be obtained through craft, trade, or spoils of war.

3. The head cutters appear to be using spears but their descriptions say they use axes. You should get images with them wielding axes or if you want them to keep the spears then (since spears aren't as damaging as heavy axes) you should halve their damage but give them an extra swing.

4. None of the pre-created units have traits.

5. One final suggestion. Ikmass seems to hate all his henchmen. Surely a chieftain through the period of his rise to leadership and rule must have gained a few friends. It might be cool if he liked one of his henchmen, so should you kill his favorite, Ikmass gives a little speech on how you angered him and how he'll make you pay, and gets boost in cash for reinforcements. Preferably the middle one as he can be a pest if you try to ignore him and go straight towards Ikmass.

Aside from that, awesome campaign. I eagerly look forward to the next scenario, and am dying to find out who the ally Iktha suggests is.
Every action has a consequence.
db0

Post by db0 »

xant wrote:Great Campaign, and make it a long one.
It seems pretty well balanced so far. Just a few other things to say:

1. Saurian Warriors don't upgrade, or is that intentional?
They can't? Strange. They should upgrade to stalkers
2. The secret of metal working which is mentioned in the plot, to have been key in defeating the orcs isn't relevant at all in unit attire. The spear points that the saurian braves use could be from stone, the same could be said about the warriors. The witchdoctors don't use any. Won't comment on the head cutters because it isn't certain if they use spears or axe. The only one who seems to be using metal is the leader, but that would be expected even if they didn't have metal working technology, for a tribe generally gives their best equipment to their leader, whether it be obtained through craft, trade, or spoils of war.

3. The head cutters appear to be using spears but their descriptions say they use axes. You should get images with them wielding axes or if you want them to keep the spears then (since spears aren't as damaging as heavy axes) you should halve their damage but give them an extra swing.
Unfortunately, artwork is out of my hands. Unless someone decides to redo some sprites, I can't do anything about it I'm afraid. I'm just using what I have.
4. None of the pre-created units have traits.

5. One final suggestion. Ikmass seems to hate all his henchmen. Surely a chieftain through the period of his rise to leadership and rule must have gained a few friends. It might be cool if he liked one of his henchmen, so should you kill his favorite, Ikmass gives a little speech on how you angered him and how he'll make you pay, and gets boost in cash for reinforcements. Preferably the middle one as he can be a pest if you try to ignore him and go straight towards Ikmass.
Ikmass is completely insane. He replies such as he does is because he doesn't want to appear weak.
Aside from that, awesome campaign. I eagerly look forward to the next scenario, and am dying to find out who the ally Iktha suggests is.
Stay tuned then ;)
The Green Tooth

Post by The Green Tooth »

I stick with all the aforementioned, especially with the "awesome campaign" thing :)

But one more critique, the headcutters are too strong at lvl2 :? They can kill almost any orcish unit at night with one stroke :? In terms of balancing, they should be able to kill off a slightly wounded lvl1 unit, or a spearmen/assassin, but not a grunt at full health. In terms of character, it's a bit strange that one of the frailest factions has a unit that can wield an axe with such might :)

Perhaps, make them stalkers and give them one relatively strong spear piercing hit in melee (just enough to kill a not-resilient horseman at night), and a poisonous javelin at range? (less hp than warriors ofcourse)
db0

Post by db0 »

The Green Tooth wrote:I stick with all the aforementioned, especially with the "awesome campaign" thing :)
Hey thanks! Comments like these giveme the incentive to keep going ;)
But one more critique, the headcutters are too strong at lvl2 :? They can kill almost any orcish unit at night with one stroke :? In terms of balancing, they should be able to kill off a slightly wounded lvl1 unit, or a spearmen/assassin, but not a grunt at full health. In terms of character, it's a bit strange that one of the frailest factions has a unit that can wield an axe with such might :)
Well, the balance is still a bit off. I will continue to balance things with feedback from you, the players.
As for the headhunters, It is true that they can kill most things with one hit, but it is also possible that they won't do any damage at all. Their damage output is on par with level 2 units out there (for example, the orcish warriors do 10x3) but they have less HP which I think it is a nice trade (being able to kill with one hit while also being more easy to die)
Also, the fact that they die easy can be attributed to the fact that they use no caution in battle, not in an actuall physical frailty.
Perhaps, make them stalkers and give them one relatively strong spear piercing hit in melee (just enough to kill a not-resilient horseman at night), and a poisonous javelin at range? (less hp than warriors ofcourse)
I don't really want to give more poison units at this time, and they're not designed to use ranged weapons.

In any case, thanks for the feedback.
lynx rufus

Warrior upgrade

Post by lynx rufus »

Xant is right... In the latest download the brave goes to warrior and that is the end of the road.

And still liking it. :)
claus

Post by claus »

In Wesnoth 1.0.2 and older versions there is a mainline Saurian Warrior and this Saurian Warrior is used and can not advance.
In Wesnoth 1.1 the mainline Saurian Warrior has been removed, which means the campaign uses its own Saurian Warrior.
db0 you should either use a different id for your Saurian Warrior or make clear that your campaign is for Wesnoth 1.1.
db0

Post by db0 »

well damn. I didn't think of that. I'll fix it out when I get home
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

You say you want them fihgting on unfamiliar terrain, so I think you should be aware(if you aren't already) that Suarians get 60% defense almost everywere, and if they dont get 50-60% defense, they tend to die off(due to low hp/resistance)
Please take this into consideration
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Hmm just some odd little things I wanted to poitnt out. If the leader and the headhunter champion look heavily armored why don't they reflect this by at 10% res to all weapon attacks?Is full plate just for show!?!
Also in level 2 I came out of it withover 300 gold but then that was only due to some save loading when the 2 bodyguards came out. Are they really supposed to have 30 extra health and have the possibility to do... 48 damage! let's just say no matter how I went up against them they chewed holes in me.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
db0

Post by db0 »

Tippsey wrote:Hmm just some odd little things I wanted to poitnt out. If the leader and the headhunter champion look heavily armored why don't they reflect this by at 10% res to all weapon attacks?Is full plate just for show!?!
I'm currently using placeholder sprites. Until someone cares to help out by designing some new ones, unfortunately thats all I have.
Also in level 2 I came out of it withover 300 gold but then that was only due to some save loading when the 2 bodyguards came out. Are they really supposed to have 30 extra health and have the possibility to do... 48 damage! let's just say no matter how I went up against them they chewed holes in me.
That's the point ;)

In any case, after I finish the campaign I will code an alternative way to kill them, but for now, just smack them over the head ;)
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Oh well smack works with a bit of loading.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
player

Post by player »

do you have a map on helping the family???
-jew
db0

Post by db0 »

no, not yet. Also helping the family is not the next scenario anymore, you'll have to replay from the start I'm afraid.

Patience, I am a busy man
xant

Post by xant »

db0 wrote:Patience, I am a busy man
I remeber hearing you say somewhere that you only needed 3 days per scenario, and correct me if i'm wrong but its been way more than 3 days since you last updated. Even if you're busy, its been half a month a least since the last update, even one more scenario would be good at this point.
Every action has a consequence.
db0

Post by db0 »

I remeber hearing you say somewhere that you only needed 3 days per scenario, and correct me if i'm wrong but its been way more than 3 days since you last updated. Even if you're busy, its been half a month a least since the last update, even one more scenario would be good at this point.
Man :roll:

Yes at the time I needed 3 days per scenario and I'm working on them as we speak, but life takes precedence you know...
This is just a hobby to me and I don't feel like I have a deadline to catch.