Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (5 Scenarios Ready)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Yes at the time I needed 3 days per scenario and I'm working on them as we speak, but life takes precedence you know...
This is just a hobby to me and I don't feel like I have a deadline to catch.
Indeed :).

Just played through the campaign. Was honestly expecting not to be thrilled, because Saurians have never appealed, but I had finished all of the other campaigns available... and I was very, very pleasantly surprised. Kudos. Plot is interesting, balance seems good, WML is nicely used, there aren't even *that* many typos :-).

Interesting to read others' comments on unit balance. I was impressed with alchemists, but perhaps even more so with witch doctors when next to the leader. The skald/saurian mix is a good one, too, and I'm looking forward (I hope) to being able to recruit more skalds (but boy do the ones I have need a lot of xp to level!). I never chose to level to a headhunter, because having only one blow with such a frail melee type seemed dangerous unless one save-loads a lot more than I'm willing to :). I suspect that if I were starting over, I might skip the brave line almost entirly and focus on witch doctors to both soothsayers and alchemists.

Noted that S'Saskin does not change from level 2 when advancing from the first level 2 type, which seemed (i) odd and (ii) limiting in terms of leadership ability; is this intentional?

The only clunky part was the ogre-killing dialogue. I get the point - that at some stage, after killing off (I think) 10 ogres one should be ready to negotiate, but coding for a smaller piece from the second kill - e.g. "REady to give up and pay now?" - rather than repeating the whole fifth-kill dialogue every time would be preferred. Plus it would get rid of the repeated thanks for ogre-skin clothing :). [In terms of plot, it would seem that the ogre leader's price might go up as you kill off more of his troops - but then he might also be more intimidated, so no big deal. You could also have a "*vastly* overpay" option where he decides to kill you for the remaining cash you must have ;)]

Anyway - again, neat job, and what is this stuff about having something else to do with your life?? ;-)
db0

Post by db0 »

Thanks for the kind words.
The Headhunters are very useful against wounded enemies since they have a chance to take them down without losses but it's risky. I believe they're refreshingly different.

The fourth scenario is not complete by a long shot. The WML still needs work. I just included it so that you don't have to replay the last scenario when I update it.

As for RL, eh. Currently looking for another job so I'm busy sending CVs and stuff like that. Soon though...
Sly

Post by Sly »

Argh ! in "Great River", after cleaning the Ogres and going west, I got a message "Unit not found : merman" and the game stops :cry:
jg

Post by jg »

From the sound of the message, I guess it would mean you are using the wrong version of the game for playing the campaign, OR the scenario is buggy.

Maybe change the name of the unit to Merman Fighter? (In the scenario files I meant).

jg
db0

Post by db0 »

The scenario isn't buggy. It's not finished. You're not meant to play it. I just included it to save you time from playing the 3rd again. Please don't try to play the fourth scenario.
Sly

Post by Sly »

db0 wrote:The scenario isn't buggy. It's not finished. You're not meant to play it. I just included it to save you time from playing the 3rd again. Please don't try to play the fourth scenario.
OK so much for me :lol:
still the mace is fun and it was a pleaser destroying the ogres :twisted:
jg

Post by jg »

db0 wrote:The scenario isn't buggy. It's not finished.
Ok, sorry... :oops: Hadn't played the new version of the campaign I guess (or I remembered something wrong).

I was just trying to be helpful... :wink:

jg
troodon

Post by troodon »

This is a fun campaign. Is it abandoned?
db0

Post by db0 »

No, I'm just in the process of relocating in another country and don't really have time to continue. I do not even have a PC or an Internet Connection yet.

I will continue soon however
db0

Post by db0 »

Reposting after the forum reset.
Ha, I show up after almost a year and the forums b0rk! Total Jinx
---
Ok, after feedback from here I'd like to request some help to finish the campaign.

I still have the story in my mind but I do not have the time to work on the WML code (update to the latest wesnoth version and script the new maps). Is anyone willing to help me out on this? If you're looking to exercise your WML skills without starting something brand new this could be a good idea.
I will provide the storyline, dialogues and map instructions (scripted events etc) while also accepting feedback. I may also collaborate on the code itself if I get the time to bring my wml knowledge up to date.

If noone volunteers, no biggie, I plan to get back to this eventually anyway. I've already tried fixing the WML for 1.3 but had little luck. It CTD's the whole game :(
tashi

Post by tashi »

db0 wrote: I'd like to request some help to finish the campaign.
I would like to help in some fashion. My WML skills are a little weak though
db0

Post by db0 »

IF you would like to help, I'd love if you can start working initially on making the campaign start :)

Currently the WML inside must be so obsolete that it crashed the program
db0

It's back!

Post by db0 »

I've finally got my lazy butt down and worked on bringing it up to date for the 1.4 versions :).

I've fixed and updated the units to the new WML format as well as used the newer graphics.

Try it out if you don't mind ;)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Played it and liked it.
Funny how it as similiraties to my story, although I didn't know about your campaign at all. I suppose it's an appealing race.:)

Bug: When the soothsayer dies, you do not lose...but it's in the scenario objectives that he should survive.
db0

Post by db0 »

Campaign is now back at where I left it. All three first scenarior work and it's uploaded at the campaign server.

Check it out and gimme some feedback.

There may be some glitches as I probably have forgotten something important. In that case I hope you'll let me know :)