Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaddo

Re: Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Post by Kaddo »

This is just to let everyone know I'll be picking up work on this campaign (pending an answer from Ranger M, who seems to be gone from the forums).

I currently have IoA v0.4.3, which runs under BfW v1.5.14. My first milestone will be getting the first story arc (scenarios 1-8) updated and cleaned up so they all run under v1.5 without any major bugs.

I'll be needing some WML tips along the way, so stay tuned.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

updated and cleaned up so they all run under v1.5 without any major bugs
do you mean 1.9 ?
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

No, I mean 1.5. I want to fix existing bugs first before I worry about new ones that might show up after conversion to 1.9.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

The good news: first milestone reached, scenarios 1-8 are all up and running.

The bad news: I haven't been able to find the address for the 1.5 server. :oops:

I need help, how do I upload the updated version of IoA ?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

add-ons.wesnoth.org:15003 (Wesnoth 1.6’s campaignd listens on port 15003) should work with Wesnoth 1.5.x and 1.6 clients.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

Thanks !

IoA v0.4.4 is up.

Main changes from v0.4.3:

1. Map WML has been updated for scenarios 1-8.

2. The scenario 1-8 maps have been edited or changed to be consistent. The area around Turlin's fort changes and evolves but there are no unexplainable shifts in geography.

3. The caravan-related WML in scenario 4 has mostly been removed. You get supplies now by capturing your targets, you no longer get 'friendly' caravans that you must move back to the forest. In the same line, the town reinforcements are no longer triggered by caravan movement. Any extra goals that you accomplish will help increase Turlin's faction in a later scenario.

4. All units which lacked a description now have one.

5. The 'Henchman' and 'Raider' unit types no longer appear in the game. Their unit and image files are still included.

6. Allied and enemy leaders in scenario 7 are all passive now. This prevents the AI from moving an enemy leader towards the town on turn 1 to capture a village, and then having that leader surrounded and unable to recruit. It also prevents your allied leaders from jumping into the fight and getting killed, losing you the game.

7. Sarah and Teresa now have separate advancement lines. Sarah no longer becomes a 'Teresa' unit type.

What hasn't changed / will be fixed in a future update:

1. Dialogue. I made some changes here and there for the story's sake but most of it still needs spelling + grammar fixes. In addition, I want to give each main character a recognizable speech pattern.

2. Unit animations. The rogue mages (for example) have a spell attack animation, but this isn't working.

3. Campaign balance. Currently I think all the scenarios from 2 onwards are on the easy side, but this is one person's opinion. I'll wait for some feedback before I make any balance changes.

So. Let me know what you think !
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Ranger M wrote:I am now (literally as I type this message) uploading the newest version of IoA (0.4.1, which reads as campaigns not scenario compelte.4 playable scenarios.first release with this many playable).

Now, those of you who remember IoA (good gods I've actually been away long enough that I have to say that :cry: ) may be saying right now, that's not right, IoA had 16 fully playable scenarios when I last checked :hmm: .

this is because I'm (wait for it), redesigning the plot, artwork, maps, and scenarios, all of them*. The campaign will still follow the same basic structure, same characters, etc, but there are some improvements that I've made to dialogue (more depth added to characters), art, and gameplay, particularly to scenario 4, which now requires a massive 1199 lines of code (yes, you read that right), I just spent all of today updating it so that it now is how I had origionally envisioned it. Admit it, your curious what kind of scenario needs that many lines of code, aren't you... Well you'll have to download IoA and find out [/shameless_plug]

*of course, not all of them will need much change, just the ones which I had envisioned more complicated goals for/had enough dialogue to warrrent it.
Kaddo, which version are you updating? Ranger M had plans for redesign of the entire campaign, but it seems he never actually made them.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

I'm updating 0.4.3, the last one Ranger M published. He did make some changes to the story compared to the 'early' IoA (which I played sometime around 2006), but the basic storyline is still the same.

His changes involved characterization, for the most part. My plan is to start with what he implemented and carry those character-related changes through all the existing scenarios.
luxury

Post by luxury »

I tried the 1.6.5 Invasion of Arendia version 0.4.4
on hardest level
There is a bug and game crash in scenario 4 Midnight Raiding
it apperars in Round 8 at the end of the AI turn: game_error unknown unit type : arendian hero
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

Fixed and tested.

If you don't want to wait for the next update you can open the scenario 04 file, do a search for the word hero and replace it with Hero.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

IoA v0.4.5 is up.

Main changes from v0.4.4:

1. Scenarios 9-11 now playable (minor changes to their maps).

2. Fixed a bug in scenario 02 where a message was spoken by a unit from the wrong side.

3. Fixed the 'arendian hero' bug in scenario 04.

4. Updated the unit WML, all unit descriptions should be visible now.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

And IoA v0.4.6 is now up.

Main changes from v0.4.5:

1. Scenarios 12-13 now playable (minor changes to their maps).
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Sorry for the OT, but how do I download the 1.514 version of BfW? Thank you.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I'm not sure that you can. Version 1.6 is still on sourceforge and should be compatible with this addon.
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Thank you very much, I´ll give it a try at once :)