A New Order.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

szopen

Post by szopen »

Thanks Teldar for your comments.
The reported bugs and suggestions will be included in the next release, on Thursday. Today's release, which is going to server, includes old bugfixes and campaign.

For Hired Swords, the geogrpahy leads to eastern castle and this is intentional. You still can have needed 300 gp in recent scenario for Siege of Haeltin.

I will be making it harder (the Siege) today. My intention is that you should not be able to kill southern orcs.

As for plot, well, I decided to simplify it a bit because with older version I would have to create probably more than 30 scenarios :)

CHANGELOG for version 0.1.0 which goes to campaign server today:

*Adding portraits for Bor Cryne and Lady Lorin
*Bug fixes: Aragwaith Archers can now advence to hunters, Battle of Barnon turn times should now depend on level, missing akl-light-infantry picture.
*Hired Swords: balancing, corrections.
szopen

Post by szopen »

I don't know why I can't publish new version of the campaign. It always ends with error "time out" or similar.

So, I post new version here. (0.1.1)

Note: There was a bug in previous versions which caused Gawen and Gawen's unit not to be stored between scenario Outlaw Base and Council in Freetown. You have three choices:

a) send me savegame, so I would correct it and send it back
b) correct your savegame yourself
c) play Outlaw Base and all the other scenarios again.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Ok, the campaign was finally accepted. Is there a limit on file size?

CHANGES:

*Small balancing changes in Outlaw Base, to make it just a tiny bit harder
*Added portraits for Ruvio, Karen, Reme Carrenemoe, Graeme O Borraine, Uri van Roe, Gwidle, Hoyre
*Incorporated Corrections and suggestions by Teldar
*Some grammar and language errors
*Skeleton for two more scenarios (Council at Freetown and Leaving Raedwood), not finished
*Finished Siege of Haeltin - but it is not balanced.

Please, send me your savegames, so I could see how much balancing needs to be added. And I mean it. It would accelerate my efforts, since I wouldn't have to spent time looking whether 100gp is enough, whether 150gp is enough etc etc :D So it would result in more scenarios, faster.

And once again: there was an error in pre 0.1.1 so Gawen and his units were not saved as they should be. Either move them manually between savegames, send the savegame to me with proper comment and I will correct it, or play Outlaw Base (the sceanrio with Rob Roe) from the very beginning.

EDIT: future release will be in Tuesday. I have a lot of work in REAL WORLD, so do not expect much on next release (I do intend to made at least three scenarios, but REAL WORLD my interfere with that).
szopen

Post by szopen »

New campaign version in on the server. The changes:

* Two more dialogue scenarios (finished Council at Freetown and She-wolf of Haeltin)
* Leaving Raedwood ALMOST finished (but not balanced) - need only add interrogation of southern leader
* Scenario aimed at making choices (with bigger map)
* Preview of how final will work
* New portraits, for total number of 15 now
* New story images: Lorin hiring Yaranov and Akladians kindly asking Wesnothians to become their slaves.

So, as you see, if you already played the campaign you may omit this release and wait for another one, since nothing new in terms of new BALANCED scenarios is added (except one dialogue). If you are going to start it, then go ahead and you may play up to 9th scenario.

The campaign is slowly stabilising now, I think after next version I won't touch earlier 10 scenarios any more. I plan on adding story images and new scenarios in next version, THEN it would be just balancing. Next release will be probably at Thursday.

Comments, as usual, are most welcomed. Feedback would made the campaign much better
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I can't find it in WesCamp-i18n... I guess I must search more thoroughly... :wink:
szopen

Post by szopen »

It will be in wes-camp as soon as strings will be stabilised. Which means probably two or three more weeks. Or more, if there would be no feedback :)
szopen

Post by szopen »

New version 0.1.3 is posted on the campaign server. The Changes are not big, no need to download if you are playing already:

*Story image: ... Then I noticed this weary man ... (Ruvio)
*Story image: ... We burned it all, to make sure they have poetry, wisdom and history no more ... (Introduction)
*Story image: ... Akladians were uneasy with having such a queen... (Introduction)
*Elorain is now Ranger with marksman special attack NOTE: It means, that you should play starting from Council of Freetown, if you start game from saved game Leaving Raedwood she still will be Marksman
*LEaving Raedwood is finished, but not balanced

The next release is planned for next Tuesday (August the 2nd).

I see that the thread is from time to time visited. Does any from readers play the campaign? I would love to see feedback. Do you like story? Story images? Portraits? Scenarios? Have you noticed any bugs? Would you change something? Language errors, perhaps? Without feedback, the campaign will be developed slower. Remember, feedback encourages the developer :)
szopen

Post by szopen »

Argh. 33 downloads in one day, and not a single comment. Does that mean you consider campaign a s* not worth a feedback? It's a bit frustrating. No one is playing it? Or maybe you download it, decide it's not worth and delete ?
Disto

Post by Disto »

Don't worry, a lot more people who are on Wesnoth aren't on the forums.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

szopen. i think you should say what exactly type of help do you need.
for example if you say "i need artist to make few units" or "i need somebody who will help me in balancing" you will get help faster and better
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I played the first scenario, wasn't bad but I don't have the time to try the second one right now. Otherwise, it's summer time in europe and many are on vactation...
szopen

Post by szopen »

tomsik wrote:szopen. i think you should say what exactly type of help do you need.
for example if you say "i need artist to make few units" or "i need somebody who will help me in balancing" you will get help faster and better
Somebody who would send me his savegame, so I could see whether I hinted enough some hidden goodies, whether players have enough units and what should I expect from player to have at the beginning of the next scenario.

Also, somebody who would correct my "Polinglish".

Or, heck, just someone who would say: "yes, I played it, it wasn't bad".
Ok, Maybe i am becoming a bit hysterical, but after spending three days at drawing, correcting mistakes, creating scenarios instead of doing something useful one starts to wish for some repay. In metaphorical sense, of course.
scott

Post by scott »

I think you are being a little hysterical. It's not a popularity contest. Better silence than a lot of people saying it sucks.

You would probably say you would rather have negative feedback than none at all, but trust me you just have to let it go. With the please-yourself philosophy, you already know each release or update is "good" as long as it's satisfying to you. People will comment when they feel a need to.

No great work was made by committee. If you let it be a community effort, you'll end up trying to please everyone else. Write and finish the campaign such that it is satisfying only to you and don't care if anyone else likes it or not. Eventually some people will catch your vision and jump on board with helpful comments. Your vision and ideas for the story and campaign are original. Just give it time.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ave

Post by Ave »

The scenarios are playable and balanced on easy level (not completely ridiculous but easy enough).

Hired swords:
In the dialog between yaranov and lady lorin:
'are you one on those' should be 'are you one of those'
'I will cut you to the pieces' should be 'I will cut you to pieces'
'Dissapointed' should be 'Disappointed'
'What part of phrase' should be 'What part of the phrase'
'because I am weak woman' should be 'because I am a weak woman'
'What do you going to do' should be 'What are you going to do'

reumario / lorin:
'serve to you' should be 'serve you'

'you are hearing impaired' should be 'are you hearing impaired' or 'is your hearing impaired'.. (not sure)
Ave

Post by Ave »

Maybe the portraits need some refinement.
They are a good start, but a bit sketchy.

Siege of Haeltin still says it is unbalanced, so i stopped there.